QSUD 5W-30 7,500 Miles (96 Infiniti I30)

Status
Not open for further replies.

SMB

Here is my 2nd UOA for my car.

Oil: QSUD 5W-30
Filter: Purolator PureOne

I made a total of 3 road trips on this oil totaling 2700 miles and I made numerous round trips between Dayton and Columbus (140 miles).

I am a little worried about the silicone. I did not use any spray or sealer during this sample. I'll check my air filter and intake for any leaks. Is it a big problem?

My new OCI plan will be between 6500 to 7500 for most of the oils that I have and depending on the oil filter being used.

All comments are welcome.

96i30020213page001.jpg

Nice job on the vehicle miles. Hope to get the Honda up there one day.

Wear metals look good, but the high silicon and sodium are perplexing. What oil did you use previously?

Last edited:
Thanks for the link to the first UOA. Looking at them back to back I noticed that "Univ. Avg values should be" for sus visc. @ 212 and cst visc @ 100 were different, even though you used the same grade oil. Not sure why that is.

The qsud retained its viscosity much better than the dino mobil, but perhaps some of the former's shearing had to do with the work you did on the car.

You would think the silicon would have trended down had it been related to the work you did, but it went up. Puzzling. Just the same, did you use silicone based gasket sealer?

Didn't happen to get any pics while you were in there, did you? How did it look?

Silicon is starting to be a problem - insols. are slightly higher than 'normal', and lead is higher than normal - both point to excess dirt getting into the engine causing wear.

I know neither lead or insols. are 'really' high; but they are higher than what we normally see.....

I might have found out the leak that caused this increase in silicone.

While checking my air filter and intake, the EGR valve on the back of the throttle body had 1 bolt missing. I most likely did not tighten it down when I took it off back in October.

I changed my air filter back in May with a Purolator air filter; it looks dirty but good.

Now I will find a new bolt for the EGR valve and do another UOA in a few months.

Nice job on your total millage.
smile.gif

I like to compare UAOs to my own. The OCIs for my 2003 Accord is similar to yours but my total milage is less. I've notice my iron and lead are a lot less then yours. My tbn is also higher.

I don't know if this is because of the oil, the engine, total miles, age of the car, or a little of everything? A link to my UOAs is in my sig below if anyone has an opinion why. I think lead must be because of the engine?

Originally Posted By: MikeySoft
Nice job on your total millage.
smile.gif

I like to compare UAOs to my own. The OCIs for my 2003 Accord is similar to yours but my total milage is less. I've notice my iron and lead are a lot less then yours. My tbn is also higher.

I don't know if this is because of the oil, the engine, total miles, age of the car, or a little of everything? A link to my UOAs is in my sig below if anyone has an opinion why. I think lead must be because of the engine?

Thank you. I think a lot of factors affect UOAs.

In my opinion, I'm not totally convinced an air leak is your problem. The amount of silicon isn't accompanied with the right amount of contaminants. I would start monitoring coolant levels closely.

Originally Posted By: CarbonCrew
In my opinion, I'm not totally convinced an air leak is your problem. The amount of silicon isn't accompanied with the right amount of contaminants. I would start monitoring coolant levels closely.

Well that's weird. I always check my coolant levels and I never had to add any.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back