QSUD 0W20 vs. 5W20 ?

*Besides the specs. Quaker State lists on their web site for these two synthetic oils - what differences not listed would I see between QSUD 0W20 and QSUD 5W20 (i.e. base stock , NOACK , etc.) ?
Thanks in advance for replies ...

32.gif

it's weird to see that QS recommends both for my Sportage 2.4.

Capture.PNG

Last edited:
I'm gonna guess typo on that one, wemay. Mobil use to recommend the 0W-20 AFE on their selection guide for my Elantra (I believe it even said "for use where 5W-20 is recommended" on the jug), but that didn't last long.

*OP here : Hyundai doesn't list 0W20 as an acceptable grade in the OM (as most know) ... I have a stash of QSUD 0W20 (used for a previous Mazda CX-3 where 0W20 is allowed) that I would like to use in my Hyundai ... I could just "blend" the QSUD 0W20 in with QSUD 5W30 to be safe ... Then I got to thinking : Just what are the differences between the QSUD 0W20 and the QSUD 5W20 ?

*Lower NOACK with the 5W20 ?
*0W20 will probably have PAO in the base stock while the 5W20 will probably be a Group III mix ?
*More VII's in the 0W20 ?

Above are what comes to mind - your thoughts ?

Operationally, I don't think there would be any problem running the 0w-20 in place of a 5w-20. If under warranty, there could be complications under any powertrain warranty claim, although despite internet lore claiming that H/K are jerks about warranty issues, that hasn't been my experience.

Originally Posted by ChrisD46
*OP here : Hyundai doesn't list 0W20 as an acceptable grade in the OM (as most know) ...

Since when? I have a 2017 Hyundai Ioniq and it calls for 0w20 in the manual, in fact is specifically says that Hyundai recommends Quaker State 0w20.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Tundra73
*OP here : Hyundai doesn't list 0W20 as an acceptable grade in the OM (as most know) ...

Since when? I have a 2017 Hyundai Ioniq and it calls for 0w20 in the manual, in fact is specifically says that Hyundai recommends Quaker State 0w20.

They say "recommends", according to what you wrote, which doesn't mean it has to be used.

*2017 Sonata 2.4L OM and Elantra before that only show 5W20, 5W30, 10W30 in the OM . I was not aware that Hyundai ever listed a 0W20 ?

It really depends on the brand and formulation. For example, Mobil 1 EP 0w20 uses a PAO base oil which will have a higher natural VI, compared to the EP 5w20 which uses a smaller amount of PAO and in addition to Visom III+. In this case, the Mobil 1 EP 5w20 will have more VII's compared to the EP 0w20. With the QSUD, both using GTL, the 5w20 will use less VII's so that would be my choice.

Reactions: pbm
Originally Posted by buster
It really depends on the brand and formulation. For example, Mobil 1 EP 0w20 uses a PAO base oil which will have a higher natural VI, compared to the EP 5w20 which uses a smaller amount of PAO and in addition to Visom III+. In this case, the Mobil 1 EP 5w20 will have more VII's compared to the EP 0w20. With the QSUD, both using GTL, the 5w20 will use less VII's so that would be my choice.

+1

*Fast forward to today : Would SP rated QSUD 0W20 & 5W20 synthetic oils have any appreciable differences that matter beyond what was stated in this thread ?

I don't think there isn't a big enough difference to matter unless your ambient temperature is -20*F or less. Pennzoil claims that PP 0w-20 offers the same protection as 5w-20. I would be comfortable interchanging these.

So it's for sure then that QS is in fact using GTL base?

They say "recommends", according to what you wrote, which doesn't mean it has to be used.
It requires 0w20, but recommends Quaker State.

*2017 Sonata 2.4L OM and Elantra before that only show 5W20, 5W30, 10W30 in the OM . I was not aware that Hyundai ever listed a 0W20 ?
Yep, my 2017 OM lists it.

It requires 0w20, but recommends Quaker State.
Yes. The word "recommends," which means here, a product they're suggesting, or recommending. Probably for some kind of monetary agreement they have/had with SOPUS. You can use any 0W20 that meets Toyota's specifications, not necessarily QS.

Yes. The word "recommends," which means here, a product they're suggesting, or recommending. Probably for some kind of monetary agreement they have/had with SOPUS. You can use any 0W20 that meets Toyota's specifications, not necessarily QS.
Oh, I know. I was just commenting on it at the time because I had never seen an OM specifically recommend a certain brand before. Thought it was interesting.

Back