QSHP 10w30, 2013 Optima 2.4L GDI, 5K miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dont know how to post a report so ill just list out the important information. I have 5K on the oil and 20K on the vehicle

Aluminum 3
Chromium 1
Iron 28
Copper 7
Lead 0
Tin 0
Silicon 13

SUS Viscosity @210 = 56.8
cSt @100 = 9.29
Flashpoint = 400
Fuel % = < .5
Insolubles = .3
TBN = 2.2

This car is used by my wife mostly taking kids to school ect. We did have one 800 Mile round trip on this oil sample. Iron is a little high and im surprised that the viscosity was down to almost 9 cSt. That said, Silicon looked good and fuel dilution and fuel looks really good so im happy about that. Ill probably stick to about the same mileage for OCI and sample again at about 40K miles. I am curious to how a dino 5w30 would have held up. We do pay special attention to getting Top Tier gas and i use chevron supreme fuel cleaner every 5K miles.

The Horsepower 10w-30 may be an energy/resource conserving oil. They are designed to thin about 1 point at the beginning of an oil change. 9.5 to 11.5 is normal. Was the iron higher than average for your model? I don't think it's high.

Not completely sure. I dont think iron is unreasonable. It could be a bit better but over all im pretty happy. Mostly i was concerned about fuel dilution which appears to be in good shape so I dont think it is a bad report.

My buddy just collected his sample, From the 2014 Sonata 2.4 GDI, at 20K miles and will be sending it in shortly so i will post his results as well.

Originally Posted By: KCJeep
That iron is just fine for those low miles.

Agreed. Still at Break-in miles so don't sweat it. Thanks for posting.

28 Fe for a Hyundai/Kia 2.4 in 5K? That's terrible. Mine was around 10ppm Fe using the same oil for a 6K run a few years back. Similar mileage also to what you have now. It's posted here somewhere.

Only major difference is yours is DI. The basic engine architecture of the Theta 2.4 has not changed.

Originally Posted By: Brons2
28 Fe for a Hyundai/Kia 2.4 in 5K? That's terrible. Mine was around 10ppm Fe using the same oil for a 6K run a few years back. Similar mileage also to what you have now. It's posted here somewhere.

Only major difference is yours is DI. The basic engine architecture of the Theta 2.4 has not changed.

Engines break in differently depending on the driver & usage. I would think even something as minor as how long you ran the factory fill would influence break in. All his #'s look fine to me - and the 10W-30 is no problem, I'm sure he's using up some old stash.

Yep, im not concerned about this at all. I think the oil did fine. She does a lot of short trips and idling at the kids school and their events. I was glad to see fuel low which is a big problem in these DI engines but after break in, it looks like the kia/ Hyundai engines do okay. I have PP 5w20 in there now and the next change will be back to QSHP 10w30 then i will sample. Like someone said, i have a lot of older stash I want to use up so it will see a lot of PP and QSUD / QSHP / QSTP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back