QSGB 5w-20 | 3k mi | 49K Civic '10

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quaker State Green bottle 5w-20
First analysis for the Honda Civic 2010 with 49k mi on it.
Oil had run 3k mi when changed/sent for analysis.
This oil was part of a 1000mi road trip.

What do you folks think?

Last edited:
What happened to the calcium ?
Not that it's a bad thing but I thought SOPUS used more than that in QSGB.

Originally Posted By: Bud_One

They did until Walmart and Firestone started using it for their standard service. SOPUS is nickeling and diming the green bottle now.

There is a VOA posted earlier this year, and the TBN was a stout 6.6.
33.gif
Green bottle use to be a bargain, but I don't get that feeling no more.

http://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthre.../16#Post4104925

Originally Posted By: BigD1
Originally Posted By: Bud_One

They did until Walmart and Firestone started using it for their standard service. SOPUS is nickeling and diming the green bottle now.

There is a VOA posted earlier this year, and the TBN was a stout 6.6.
33.gif
Green bottle use to be a bargain, but I don't get that feeling no more.

http://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthre.../16#Post4104925

I've always wondered if Purolator filters lowered their quality (to Tearolators) in order to meet Walmarts price demand? PC's were good filters until WM started carrying them.....

01.gif
I would go up to QS Defy 5w20. Its a better oil by far but not so much by price. Its synthetic blend so it will give better protection and probably a better uoa from blackstone should you do one. It wasnt an awful report but I think QS Defy will fit the niche.

The aluminium figure is rather high. Al will be from the top end, probably the block itself.

I would try moving up to a major brand full synthetic 0w20 and if the Al figures don't improve, try using Liqui Moly Ceratec to beef up the additive.
The OCI could be extended to 5K miles, as the Al figure is not high enough to cause additional wear, although the oil concerned is not one designed for a long OCI, as it has less than 2000 ppm of detergents (Ca and Mg). M1 has 3000 and one of the Amsoils has 4000 ppm of Ca.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: gathermewool
Spend a few more $ on a better oil, follow the maintenance minder

Precisely! Right now you get about 2 to 3 times the universal average on wear metals on a per mile basis (which is what you should care for) while doing ultra low service internals that cost time and money.
If you continue in this path the engine will still make it to 300.000 miles or more but you would have done a hundred oil changes!

Just go with what Honda says and keep it as long as it says (use the oil service indicator). Check with another report doing so and you will find out results will be MUCH better, with lower cost and time spend servicing.

Last edited:
I've always liked QSGB but this UOA isn't very impressive...a lot of Aluminum and Iron especially considering that your short 3K OCI included a 1K road trip.

#'s are fine. You should be safe extending the interval to 5k if you keep it topped off. If you're doing 90% stop & go in the future, change at 4k.

Weak oil.
Your engine is almost new, but there's alu-11, iron-8 and even copper. 30% of OCI is road trip. Of course, this engine usually gives alu and iron in UOA, but not that fast. Better choose smth else
21.gif

Used oil analyses are good for current oil condition and ONLY useful for engine wear when trended. One data point is 100% useless, unless numbers corresponding to a specific component are extremely high!

I run VWB out to however far the maintenance minder tells me. It's a Civic. Keep the oil level in band and change it IAW the maintenance minder and it will not give you problems. This is not rocket surgery.

PQIA from a while back showed this oil as a pretty good oil but i guess its true that Sopus is cheapening out like you say..Maybe that is why it's very hard to find a recent 2016 PDS on their products.
This is another reason we went with Mobil Oil at my brothers new shop, Mobil lists it all online.

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
PQIA from a while back showed this oil as a pretty good oil but i guess its true that Sopus is cheapening out like you say..Maybe that is why it's very hard to find a recent 2016 PDS on their products.
This is another reason we went with Mobil Oil at my brothers new shop, Mobil lists it all online.

What about the UOA makes you think this?

What about this UOA can anyone find fault with? Did I miss something?

Quaker State is a good oil

Well, which is it? You liked it until the other people pointed out flaws.

I liked quaker State for a while now and it has been good oil But a couple of people a few months back said Pennzoil and Quaker State is not what it used to be.. It looked good on the PQIA website from a couple of years ago also but again there does not seem to be any recent 2016 reports that i could find easily. Their website is showing the last report being 2014 if i am correct.

You asked me and i quote in your words: "Well, which is it? You liked it until the other people pointed out flaws.) My answer is simple I liked Quaker State in the past, these days i still think it's a good oil but like i posted about Pennzoil in a previous thread i think they both lost their punch..They went from excellent dino oils to just maybe good. If anyone has a recent PDS for the year 2016 please post it because really a lot of this is hearsay to some degree even on my part. I am suspicious that it seems to be very hard to find a recent PDS and it does not seem like the pennzoil team has too much to say about this otherwise they would have chimed in in my opinion. Im pretty sure they are watching.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back