QS Ultimate Durability 5W-30, 8000 Miles, Subaru Crosstrek

Al

Oil-Reports.png

High Fuel. Engine calls for 0W-20. I am sure the vehicle had 3+ daus of 4 miles into town and back before sample. I ultimately put another 700 miles on the oil before changing. I intend to keep using 5W-30. Supertech Syn 5W-30 went in this time.

Last oil analysis was with 20 wt.oil. Metals are down slightly from last time. But not worth getting excited about. I redline this thing several times/week. Its a good engine. Like all subarus the filter is in the engine compartment upside down. Its effortless to change. Funny no one else does it.

Al,

Thanks for posting.

But, help me out with my arithmetic. You changed the oil in January with the odometer reading 19.5k, then recently in September with an odometer reading of 29.3k.(?)

Isn’t that a 9,800 mile difference versus 8,000 miles?

“… fuel could be dilutingmetals to some extent.” Haven’t heard that pearl from Blackstone before.

QS doesnt seem up to the task for the motor smh
I tend to agree. Below is the report on my Forester XT with the FA engine for 4,250 miles (t thinned out to a 20 wt.) I would up running it to 9, 650 miles. I will never use this joil again. I also filled this with Supertech 5W-30 Syn.
Oil-Reports.png

I tend to agree. Below is the report on my Forester XT with the FA engine for 4,250 miles (t thinned out to a 20 wt.) I would up running it to 9, 650 miles. I will never use this joil again. I also filled this with Supertech 5W-30 Syn.
Oil-Reports.png
I see a perfectly good report, IMO. Perhaps the oil was just getting ready to thicken back up and be right at that required 5w30 spec had you ran it longer. 🤷🏻‍♂️😅😁

The engine certainly doesn’t seem to mind.

I have the same vehicle (2017), and asking why the 5w 30? Is the objective to achieve lower metal wear? Reviewing your wear metals, it seems the 5w 30 didn't make enough of a difference. One number that does stand out compared to the Universal Averages would be the higher Silicon number at almost double the Universal recommended averages. It would seem achieving a lower Silicon number that reflects closer to the Universal Average would bring down the wear metals on the required 0w 20 oil.

Just a thought.. Thanks for the post.

girlfriends 18 Kia Optima 2.4 gets QS now full synthetic 10-30 in Pa + uses NONE in the specd 5 thou 6 month interval. DIY changes are cheep so WHY extend changes while likely shortening engine life unless a LOT of steady highway driving IMO!

Back