QS / Pennz / Shell dino base oils - Johnny?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are these all Group II, sourced from the same refinery (refineries)? Does QS still use base oil from the Newell, WV refinery, even though they sold it?

BTW... I understand Calumet is demolishing the old Rouseville Pennzoil refinery. I guess they bought it, tried to resell, and did not find any takers.

Novadude, I thought Calumet was using Rouseville for parrafin production? Sad to see all the old Pennsylvania refineries disappear. I wonder if Witco is still refining Kendall in Bradford?

I remember back in the 80's when they tore down the old Amalie refinery in Reno. I wonder if the QS refinery is finally gone in Emlenton?

quote:

Novadude, I thought Calumet was using Rouseville for parrafin production?

They WERE when they first bought it. Apparently, they wanted out from under the whole operation and could not find a buyer. American refining (the company that is running the old kendall plant in Bradford) showed some interest, but they could not come to terms. Supposedly, since it did not sell, they have plans to tear it down.

The old Kendall plant is now American Refining,and they are producing oil under the "Brad-Penn" name.

I did not know QS had a refinery in Emlenton. I spend 6 years living in Warren, PA, so I got to know the region well. There is a lot of oil history in that part of the country.

Pennzoil is using Group II+ base stocks. Some of it is still coming from the Excell Paralubes in LA and the rest is coming from the Shell refinery in Houston.

Shell uses Group II base stocks produced at the Shell refinery in Houston.

Quaker State uses mainly Group II but some Group I that is purchased from Mobil. Before Pennzoil bought Quaker State, they had a contract with Mobil that expires in either 2005 or 2006. This contract had to be honored. After that it will be all Group II from the Shell refinery in Houston.

Sounds like Pennz is the best oil of the three (four if Wolf'shead is still being made). Better base oil and a previous report of better viscosity index improvers.

Ken

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back