QS Dino oil & Purolator Filter 288K KM - PICS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah
Also *if* of the cause of the rings failing WAS the oil
smirk2.gif
why did not the other 3 cylinder's rings have issues?

Stevie, teardowns and measurements only are valid for engines that have run a certain type/brand of oil.

Just like UOAs...

Bill

Is this aimed at me? If so, there's a lot of [censored] in there.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
smirk2.gif

Stevie, teardowns and measurements only are valid for engines that have run a certain type/brand of oil.

Just like UOAs...

Bill

UOA`s have been impeccable with Pennzoil yb. Anyone have any teardowns of engines that were run with dinos vs synthetics? It`d be really interesting to see the differences on that level.

I do but no photos. Cleanliness was never an issue but I'm sure I've said it too many times, less wear with dino.

Originally Posted By: BuickGN
smirk2.gif

Just like UOAs...

Bill

It was aimed at the recent mindset that is around here.

It has ALWAYS been that UOAs are useless if any other brand or type of oil than what you are pushing looks good.

Same showing up here. If this engine was running Mobil 1 and had the SAME problem and Stevie posted the photos up, people would be JUMPING to post the "LOOK! SEE HOW CLEAN A ENGINE IS WITH MOBIL 1!!!! (and ignore the ring issue which should be)

But since it is a "cheap" oil like QS we get that QS is a poor oil. AND LOOK, the RING ISSUE PROVES IT..

Take care, bill

Well I posted the photo's of the cleanliness as that was what the thread was about... and FYI it was on the thrust side of the engine yes...

Yes we did measure the cylinder in multiple spots all the way around especially in the "Scuffed/Shiny" area.

When I say it blew a ring, it blew the top compression ring and took a chunk out of the top of the piston and damage one of the valves in the head as well. Wasn't pretty!

I think you are just giving me a hard time because I have proof that it wasn't the oil that caused the problem. Or because we had a bit of a head-to-head in another thread.
thumbsup2.gif

smirk2.gif

Just like UOAs...

Bill

It was aimed at the recent mindset that is around here.

It has ALWAYS been that UOAs are useless if any other brand or type of oil than what you are pushing looks good.

Same showing up here. If this engine was running Mobil 1 and had the SAME problem and Stevie posted the photos up, people would be JUMPING to post the "LOOK! SEE HOW CLEAN A ENGINE IS WITH MOBIL 1!!!! (and ignore the ring issue which should be)

But since it is a "cheap" oil like QS we get that QS is a poor oil. AND LOOK, the RING ISSUE PROVES IT..

Take care, bill

I understand your point completely. I think UOAs are valuable in a lot of ways, just not for guaging "normal" engine wear no matter what the oil. I still have a sample with the ACD in it from a year ago. Decided not to send it off because the oil was changed at 5,000 miles, the engine new and not abused, and I don't believe what the wear metals due to my experience with my GN and UOAs.

Originally Posted By: StevieC
Well I posted the photo's of the cleanliness as that was what the thread was about... and FYI it was on the thrust side of the engine yes...

Yes we did measure the cylinder in multiple spots all the way around especially in the "Scuffed/Shiny" area.

When I say it blew a ring, it blew the top compression ring and took a chunk out of the top of the piston and damage one of the valves in the head as well. Wasn't pretty!

I think you are just giving me a hard time because I have proof that it wasn't the oil that caused the problem. Or because we had a bit of a head-to-head in another thread.
thumbsup2.gif

Nah, I'm over the other thread. Like I said, I commend what you did over there.

I don't think it was the oil either. I mentioned detonation in my first post. I just thought it kind of ironic to show how well an oil worked on a failed engine, that's all.

I've broken the top ring land before and it scored the cylinder badly in the broken area. Mine was obvious, methanol nozzle plugging up at 28psi boost on 91 octane, engine never had a chance.

My FIRST UOA on a IRON head/IRON block low stressed V6 with only 61k showed a coolant leak!

This is on one of the MOST "durable" motors that Ford makes...

Ran a few more after the repair (new heads, gaskets) with no issues.... until 108k and here we go again!

Last UOA @ 165k shows the engine is doing great. But if we did not catch the "issue" early, the bearings at the least would have had problems.

I do feel that a UOA can be used to show wear and how a engine is doing with a certain oil. BUT, it requires more than one!

Treading is important.

Take care, Bill

Originally Posted By: StevieC

thumbsup2.gif

Nah, I'm over the other thread. Like I said, I commend what you did over there.

I don't think it was the oil either. I mentioned detonation in my first post. I just thought it kind of ironic to show how well an oil worked on a failed engine, that's all.

I've broken the top ring land before and it scored the cylinder badly in the broken area. Mine was obvious, methanol nozzle plugging up at 28psi boost on 91 octane, engine never had a chance.
cheers3.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back