QS 10W-30 Synth Blend 3300 mi, 04 Sub Forester XT

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

Here's the Blackstone report I received at 36300 miles.

Anyone have any idea what I'm doing wrong here?

Background -
All filters are Subaru OEM. I do change the air filter every 12k, and they're pretty dirty when I do. Oil filter around 3k to 3.5k, and the fuel filter is changed every 12k or so as well.

Driving is 80% city, of that 80%, about half is total stop and go, the remaining 20% is 80mph highway, usually 100 to 200 miles at a time.

Here, I hope, is the link to the Blackstone report...

Forester 36k

Now that you're registered, my post can be deleted.
smile.gif

welcome.gif

-Dennis

Ifdal
welcome.gif

That being said you may have a coolent leak. Or even a hole somewhere in your intake system. But I am as amature as they come. Maybe some of our experts will chime in. If you want the best go with Dyson analyist Terry will help you further.

Hope someone will help.
Dave

Note that you're starting to see the presence of tin at the same time the Cu levels are increasing. What you have here is wear of a bronze component, most likely from bearings. Silicon levels have been consistent through and the Na is characteristic of some additive chemistries, so I don't think either of those is an issue. I do think you may be changing air filters too often to get optimum air filtration, but that's a side issue of minor importance.

The previous UOA data indicates you're testing every other OCI, which is a perfectly reasonable thing to do. It's instructive that the two earlier UOA's with normal Cu/Sn levels were sampled after cool to cold weather use, while two of the past three UOA's with elevated Cu/Sn were after hot weather OCI's (August & Sept). You may also be driving the vehicle harder since the engine is now fully broken in....

I'd suggest the engine is mechanically sound, but the oils you're using start out marginal in terms of high temp, high shear viscosity and are shearing on top of that. I recommend trying an xw-40, full synthetic that meets the tough VW 502.00 spec and see if this doesn't help the wear pattern. A 5w-40 or 10w-40 synthetic would be an excellent choice....

You're still covered under the Sube powertrain warranty, so I'd keep records of these UOA's in case the wear does get progressively worse. But I think you may be fine with just a thicker and more shear stable lubricant....

TS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back