Qauker State Ultimate Durability (Synthetic)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is this oil very good? The price of a 5 quart jug is only $1 more than Supertech Synthetic (Quaker State=$18). What is your opinion of this oil? What information do you have about this oil? Thanks y'all!!

What oil change intervals are you doing? What car is it going into? Are you looking to extend your drain interval?

Of course its fine oil, but if you aren't extending your service interval, then I don't see the use in spending extra.

I just picked up 2 of the 5 qt jugs today for $18 each. I have a nice oil stash going, but I am going to move the QSUD to the top of the list. I will put it in my Acura TSX at the next oil change and post a UOA. I usually get 5-6K from the Acura Maintenance Minder.

It would be interesting to get your take on this oil if you do try it.

To me it is the best bargain synthetic out there. Calcium is just a touch less than the PP but the rest of the add pack looks similar. Little dose of Moly in there about 50ppm. It looks like a well balanced blend and it gets good UOAs. For 18 dollars you cant beat it.

I stocked up on this stuff when they were selling it for $20 at Walmart less the $10 mail-in-rebate. My dad and my neighbor got some for me since there was only one rebate per household. Our H-6 Tribeca is liking this stuff. Engine is extremely quiet and smooth. I Plan on running it about 5k or so. I am exclusive SOPUS right now. Leased 2.5 Legacy is running PYB soon to get Quaker State Green($11) and Mach 1 Mustang is running PP(and liking it)...thinking about Ultra or whatever it is called for next oil change.

Originally Posted By: OceanRocket24
Is this oil very good? The price of a 5 quart jug is only $1 more than Supertech Synthetic (Quaker State=$18). What is your opinion of this oil? What information do you have about this oil? Thanks y'all!!

OceanRocket24,

Quaker State products are made by Shell oil Company and make quality dino/synthetic oils. I haven't seen the oil you mentioned but if it's like their brand Quaker State "Q" synthetic I know it's a smooth running oil. For the money you can't go wrong compared to the others. Use it in confidence.

Durango

Currently running the 5w20 with a Pure One in a 3.0L Accord to 5-10% of OLM or 1 year max, likely the latter. With the low price and all the rebates it's been a great value. IMO, I'd pay the extra buck and easily pick it over the ST.

Use with confidence.

Originally Posted By: JustinH
What oil change intervals are you doing? What car is it going into? Are you looking to extend your drain interval?

Of course its fine oil, but if you aren't extending your service interval, then I don't see the use in spending extra.

I would use the oil in my 2000 Ford Mustang V6. I would probably extend the oil changes to 5K miles. I am always unsure of how to measure the interval though because I drive 60% short city trips and 40% 20 min highway trips. I will always use at least Motorcraft oil filters.

If anyone has other or similar opinions, I would love to hear them!

Thanks to such people as Durango for responding to my posts. I really appreciate everyone on this forum.

Sometimes price worries me when it so good, haha.

Originally Posted By: JustinH

I would use the oil in my 2000 Ford Mustang V6. I would probably extend the oil changes to 5K miles. I am always unsure of how to measure the interval though because I drive 60% short city trips and 40% 20 min highway trips. I will always use at least Motorcraft oil filters.

I would stick with a good brand of API SM 5w30 Dino oil for what you are doing.

Regular quaker state dino, mobil 5000, motorcraft, pennzoil, valvoline. They would all make it 5k miles with no problem at all. You don't need the synthetic!

Quote:
Regular quaker state dino, mobil 5000, motorcraft, pennzoil, valvoline. They would all make it 5k miles with no problem at all. You don't need the synthetic!

I really appreciate your response Justin, and in fact, many people have told me the same advice! I have quite a bit of Chevron Supreme 5w-30 at home, but have also heard that it is a thin oil. If the thinness of it is no concern, then I think I will happily use it. What do you think?!

Quote:

I really appreciate your response Justin, and in fact, many people have told me the same advice! I have quite a bit of Chevron Supreme 5w-30 at home, but have also heard that it is a thin oil. If the thinness of it is no concern, then I think I will happily use it. What do you think?!

Use it up, it won't be a problem. I have owned a bunch of those 3.8L motors, and when the summer hits I personally like to run 10w30 in them. Use up what you have..

OceanRocket24,

Based on your short trips like me I usually get on the freeway at least twice per month and drive it for about an hour and a half to get the oil HOT and circulate it through out the engine to throw off any moisture/sludge that may be colectiing.

As far as OCI's are concern I just do mine at 3K cuz that's what I do in about every 6 months. I can most probably go a one year deal but I go by what the manual say so.

Durango

Quote:
Use it up, it won't be a problem. I have owned a bunch of those 3.8L motors, and when the summer hits I personally like to run 10w30 in them. Use up what you have..

Very glad to hear from someone who has owned a car with this motor! And thanks so much for your advice Justin, you and many other people alleviated any concerns
cool.gif

Originally Posted By: Durango
OceanRocket24,

Based on your short trips like me I usually get on the freeway at least twice per month and drive it for about an hour and a half to get the oil HOT and circulate it through out the engine to throw off any moisture/sludge that may be colectiing.

As far as OCI's are concern I just do mine at 3K cuz that's what I do in about every 6 months. I can most probably go a one year deal but I go by what the manual say so.

Durango

Thanks to you, Durango, as well. My Dad has also told me to do this every once in a while, because I was making so many short trips. Much appreciated!
05.gif

I have to say that seeing actual engines that looked like this guy's picture when I worked in a garage in high school is what made me ocd about oil changes. Granted, I went a bit overboard using M1 and a 5000 mile oci. After hanging around here for months as a lurker, I'm pretty sure I can take the pledge to become more reasonable in my behavior.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back