Q.State 5w20 Dodge grand caravan 3.8 06 10000 km

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello , first UOA , second oil changed on my brand new van.
The oil is Quaker States Peak performance 5w20

Please feel free to comments
smile.gif

Test Information
DIAGNOSED by BARRYG on Wednesday, January 10, 2007 at 11:49
Lab Number
Sample No
Sample Date 1/5/2007
Unit Age 0k
Time on Fluid 4963k
Time on Filter 4963k
Fluid Maint. Changed
Filter Maint. Changed
Fluid Typical | Base NO000
ImgColor
Iron (Fe) 17
Chromium (Cr) 0.6
Nickel (Ni) 0.0
Titanium (Ti) 0.1
Silver (Ag) 0.0
Aluminum (Al) 4.5
Lead (Pb) 0.0
Copper (Cu) 94
Tin (Sn) 0.0
Silicon (Si) 17
Sodium (Na) 30
Potassium (K) 0.8
Boron (B) 171
Barium (Ba) 0.0
Molybdenum (Mo) 51
Magnesium (Mg) 7.6
Calcium (Ca) 1847
Phosphorus (P) 626
Zinc (Zn) 793
Sulfur (S) 2603
Manganese (Mn) 4.4
Vanadium (V) 0.0
Oxidation(PA) 44
Nitratrion(PA) 26
Sulfation(PA) 39
Kv@100°C 7.7
ImgBottom
White Metal LIGHT
Babbitt NONE
Precipitate NONE
Silt NONE
Debris VLITE
Dirt NONE
Appearance NORML
Odor NORML
H2O(Emul) NEG
H2O(Free) NEG

first time that I am using Q.S dino , and not a lot of info on QS available here on the forum ...I dont think that we are going to get a lot more info or comments from the members
frown.gif

Though they may merely be additives or components of gasket sealants leaching into the motor oil, keep an eye on sodium and copper. If they don't trend down on subsequent analyses, there might be a problem developing.

Do they salt the roads up in the Great White North???

The copper looks normal...I think that DC may be using the same camshaft bearing metallurgy, as GM does with their Vortec Series engines.

Quote:

Though they may merely be additives or components of gasket sealants leaching into the motor oil, keep an eye on sodium and copper. If they don't trend down on subsequent analyses, there might be a problem developing.

I am taking good notes thanks

Yes, keep a good eye on the copper..abnormal, silicon...abnormal, sodium....abnormal, oxidation...abnormal, and nitrates are close to abnormal.

Keep your oil and filter changes at or below this km change.

People, this is a second oil change!
How could it be abnormal?
I recently posted higher numbers in my second change in Toyota RAV4 with QS oil. Hardly anyone replied.

Ab-Normal = the higher end of Normal? Look at the oxid and nit levels...oil is poo poo. I did not say the sky was falling..the sky is falling, just said keep an eye on these numbers. The sodium number is scary!

Interpreting UOA's and giving folks recomendations should be done by trained, qualified individuals.Like Terry Dyson.

Now I am really confused , Wearcheck's saying the the oil is acceptable for the time in service,and no item has been flagged by them thats telling me that everything is normal... ??? I'll wait t'ill the next oil change i guess before adressing a problem if I have any

Quote:

Interpreting UOA's and giving folks recomendations should be done by trained, qualified individuals.Like Terry Dyson.

Can anyone trained in this area please make a statement so this gentleman knows what's up?

Thanks from me...untrained, but willing to give my advice
coffeetime.gif

Many of the newer DC engines I've seen - like the 5.7L hemis - show this high level of copper and I believe its normal for the metallurgy of this engine. The Sodium is probably just from road salt, the bulk of the silicone is simply from gasket/seal leaching and the wear metals are perfectly normal.

The oxidation/nitration #'s are probably on a scale of 1-200 and those look fine also.

I don't see ANY issues with this analysis, considering this is an almost new engine. I think you'll find that the copper levels stabilize after about 40,000 km or so and after that they are simply characteristic of this particular motor, much as they are with the GM Vortec engines.

TD

TeeDub's post shows why amateur tribologists should be very careful about "interpreting" UOA's and giving advice that causes the poster unnecessary stress and worry.

Agreed, but advice and comments were asked for and I gave it my best. I get my interpretation from OAI elemental interpretation guide. The numbers he gave were in the low abnormal level. Granted...there are a few VERY experience folks on this board that do this for a living. And as TeeDub stated his points, the experience and general numbers come in to clairify the sample. If the board wants only professional folks to comment we should limit comments to the few that do this for a living. I am game either way and don't mind learning from more experienced people...thanks for your honest comments.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back