Q';s about Ford OLM and pick my oil/filter!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Time later today for an oil change on my 2014 F-150 with 3.5 Ecoboost. It will turn over 20k soemtime later today.

As you can tell it isn't driven a lot - usually within about 10 miles from home. Because of that the Ford OLM counts down pretty quickly with the percentage of life left.

Usually getting about 3k-3500 miles from it's fill before reading 'change oil soon' or 'oil change required. About once an OCI it seems like I'll need to drive it maybe 75-100 miles on a trip which should get a lot of the moisture burnt off I'd think.

This will be the oil change that goes through the winter to be changed sometime early Soring. Truck is garaged abotut 50% of the time. temps down to maybe 0 a handful of nights and coldest daytime single-digits to teens. Our coldest periods are short-lived and moderate into the 20's/30's daytime after a real cold snap.

That being related here are my choices today:

Pennzoil Platinum 5/30 Full syn w. Motorcraft FL-500S
Pennzoil Platinum 5/30 Full syn w. Fram Ultra filter.

Motorcraft Syn blend 5/30 w/ FL-500S or Fram Ultra.

I'd definitely not use an Ultra on that short of a run; the FL-500S should prove completely adequate, particularly for a 3k OCI.

The oil I could go either way; it really shouldn't matter much at all. PP is hard to beat, though MC is a great oil too. For that short of a run, maybe use the MC and save the $5 or $10. But then again, that's a pretty low cost. Of more importance, I think, is getting the truck fully warmed up more frequently. (Once an OCI is probably not enough to do too much good.) I'd take it out for ice cream or something to the next town over once in a while... say, 30-40 minutes on the highway every month or two. That'd be the best thing you could do for your truck.

PP can often be had for the same price or even less than Motorcraft, especially with rebates, and you're getting a full syn over a blend
smile.gif

Originally Posted by TmanP
I'd definitely not use an Ultra on that short of a run; the FL-500S should prove completely adequate, particularly for a 3k OCI.

You could easily run an Ultra for several (4+?) of those short intervals.

oil is cheap engines are NOT, especially one like you have + changing oil at 6 mo. intervals for those doing a lot of short trips is best IMO! i do what i say + my aunts jeep just got done by me with less than a thousand miles in the 6 mo period, its a 99 + she had it since 2001 slightly used + always 6 mo. changes but more miles in the past.

Run the Ultra. They are a solid filter. I have no idea why someone would buy a new vehicle then cheap out on oil changes. Oil changes are the cheap part to owning a vehicle.

in my 07 Freestyle the count down OLM is quick I am at 24 % right now at 3000 miles , My car does 30 mile trips to the plant once every 4 days and I have been running the Havoline ECOBOX 5w30 full synthetic with a motorcraft FL 820 Filter , no issues as the car gets run 1 a week 30 miles all hiway miles 4 bucks for the filter and 16.99 for the oil .. just a thought for you ,,,,,,

I use Fram Ultra in my 2018 3.5L eco and change it every other OCI. My OCI are 5K miles. I use Castrol 0w-40, but if I were to pick one of your choices it would be PP 5w-30, which is what I use in my Jeep 2.0T.

Originally Posted by DirtyApe
Time later today for an oil change on my 2014 F-150 with 3.5 Ecoboost. It will turn over 20k soemtime later today.

As you can tell it isn't driven a lot - usually within about 10 miles from home. Because of that the Ford OLM counts down pretty quickly with the percentage of life left.

Modern Ford OLM counts down 2% a week just sitting in the garage. Record it before you store it, and then when you start driving it again. If it sits 4 months the OLM will go down ~32%.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back