Q?'s About Amsoil SS

This past July (2020) I did an OCI with Amsoil SS 5W30 (Thanks BITOG member JLTD). Now that I'm only seeing 2 doctors instead of the 4 I was seeing in the past, I won't be putting as many miles on my truck as before. I was averaging 7K-7.5K a year before. Now I will be averaging 5K-6K miles per year. By the time 1 year has gone by, I will have less than the 7.5K. Amsoil states that their SS oil is good for up to 25K miles, or 1 year. Those of you that are familiar with Amsoil SS, would you do an OCI at the 1 year mark, even though it only has less than 7.5K miles on the oil? Or, would you put more miles? Can I go 2 years on this Amsoil SS OCI?
This is my 1st time to ever use Amsoil engine oil. I have used their gear oil in the past though.

I believe you can. My truck sits mostly and I only put about 5k miles a year on it. I use Amsoil SS in it and the last oil change I sent off a sample (as usual) to Blackstone labs to see how the ol pick up is doing. they wrote back stating all looks good and I could go past the 1year interval mark. They stated the newer oils dont break down and only accumulate metals. So as long as your car is in good mechanical condition, I think you should be ok.

I believe you can. My truck sits mostly and I only put about 5k miles a year on it. I use Amsoil SS in it and the last oil change I sent off a sample (as usual) to Blackstone labs to see how the ol pick up is doing. they wrote back stating all looks good and I could go past the 1year interval mark. They stated the newer oils dont break down and only accumulate metals. So as long as your car is in good mechanical condition, I think you should be ok.
My truck currently has 159K miles on it. I bought it new (6 miles) and did the 1st OCI at 1K miles. Thereafter I would change it/have it changed every 3-5K miles. A few times I changed it at 7.5K miles.
A lot of the miles on my truck were driving to a from a job 62 miles 1 way, 5 days a week, in a years time when I lived in Tampa, FL. Things were slow in the fab shop so they (my company) made me supervisor of a jail extension in Frostproof, FL.

2 years should be easy, especially since you do mostly easy highway miles. I just did an almost 13 month run of SS, 10,000 miles, lots of in town short tripping, and the oil was in great shape and could have gone much further. Planning 15 months (June 2020 to October 2021) this time. Your 4.6 is about as easy on oil as any engine.

I believe that Amsoil's warranty period is for up to 1 year. The oil's condition doesn't depend on calendar, as we've seen time and time again on UOAs from low mileage, long (2-3 years) intervals.

Last edited:
2 years should be easy, especially since you do mostly easy highway miles. I just did an almost 13 month run of SS, 10,000 miles, lots of in town short tripping, and the oil was in great shape and could have gone much further. Planning 15 months (June 2020 to October 2021) this time. Your 4.6 is about as easy on oil as any engine.

I believe that Amsoil's warranty period is for up to 1 year. The oil's condition doesn't depend on calendar, as we've seen time and time again on UOAs from low mileage, long (2-3 years) intervals.
Thanks for the advice!
BTW, my engine is the 4.2 V6. And, you're correct. My engine is very easy on oil. :)

Back