"Q" Rated Snow Tires and Highway Driving

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: y_p_w
Originally Posted By: CapriRacer
When I read what I wrote, and applied it to the subject here (winter tires), I realized that winter tires are very likely the exception to the rule - that tread compound DOES play a role in the speed rating.

OK. But what would the mechanism be for that? I thought that belt separation is the primary mechanism where a tire fails during a speed-rating test. For winter tires, would tread failure be the more likely result?

I only looked for that because I remember one of your older posts said that you could probably swap any tread to a certain speed-rated carcass, and it would likely still test for the same speed rating.

I think the failure would still be a belt leaving belt separation, but the hotter running tread compound and the additional tread depth would make the belt edges run hotter - and enough to change the actual step in which the tire failed.

If the tread of a winter tire would be shaved off, likely the tire would pass the standard S or T rating.

I've had second thoughts on this (amazing what sleeping on a subject does!!) and I'm going to change my answer.

First, I don't really KNOW because I've never been involved with the design and testing of winter tires. So I am just making an educated guess.

I'm thinking that because this is a 2 step reduction in speed rating, the tires must be failing due to tread issues - likely chunkouts and blistering.

Know what is the difference between Bridgestone Blizzak WS-60 (R-rated) and LM-60 (H-rated)?

Just the tread compound. The rest of the tire is identical: construction to the tread design.

Originally Posted By: UG_Passat
Know what is the difference between Bridgestone Blizzak WS-60 (R-rated) and LM-60 (H-rated)?

Just the tread compound. The rest of the tire is identical: construction to the tread design.

Yeah, I had WS60s and the tread was hypersoft. Im not suprised.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back