Q HPower "vs" PP?

Status
Not open for further replies.
About two months back I had picked up a couple of cases of the jugs of Q Horsepower 5W30 when it was at a great sale price. I have often used PP 5W30 in the past and just wondered what is the prevailing opinion these days re QH as compared to PP for the 5W30 viscosity....not much difference?

FWIW I do see that both are on the GM4718M approved list.

They are the same minus the add package. PP has a more robust add pack and QHP is a hair less but is a very good oil. I myself picked up 2 jugs of it while on sale and its been treating my fiance's car really well.

Originally Posted By: Anies
They are the same minus the add package. PP has a more robust add pack and QHP is a hair less but is a very good oil. I myself picked up 2 jugs of it while on sale and its been treating my fiance's car really well.

If you look at it this way every GRP III oil is the same except the add package.

I've read somewhere that the QHP is similar to the original Pennzoil synthetic before platinum.

Originally Posted By: PandaBear

If you look at it this way every GRP III oil is the same except the add package.

I've read somewhere that the QHP is similar to the original Pennzoil synthetic before platinum.

I could agree with that...

When QS Q-HP came out the OEM's that were claimed to spec it included Ferrari, Mazarate, Porsche, et al. Now this was 'not' for 10W30 so the base could be different on this grade but these spec's lead me to believe it's Shells XHVI base which I believe is used in PP.

My understanding is PP always uses custom add pack and QS is likely to use off-the-shelf.

Preceding Q-HP there was Q-this and Q-that for a few years after the SOPUS acquisition of the brands. These didn't have the OEMs spec'd like Q-HP.

I suspect SOPUS was working off supply contracts where were prior to acquisition. PP was then used as flagship to attack Mobil since GrpIII could achieve GrpIV performance at a lower cost, hence lots of promo (remember First Driver!).

Last edited:

I understand.

Of course there are many many UOAs with PP 5W30 but very few if any for Q H for 3k miles and beyond. (I posted one recently for QH on a brand new engine but the interval was very small) .

So if that is true do we think then that its add pack isnt as... good or robust Platinum?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 21Rouge

So if that is true do we think then that its add pack isnt as good as PPlatinum?

It is hard to say because the original PP was a grp V base and the previous pennzoil synthetic could have very well been grp V, too. It was later that PP went to grpIII base.

Originally Posted By: 21Rouge
About two months back I had picked up a couple of cases of the jugs of Q Horsepower 5W30 when it was at a great sale price.

Me too......I got 29 of them for $9-11 and then sent in the $10 rebate....the 5w30 runs great in my Toyo 4.0L V6 T4R...
thumbsup2.gif
Since the average cost on the rebated jugs is $.10/quart I can go 5000 miles no problem. The OCI I am currently running cost me $3.48.

Oh yeah...add pack? Who cares? I still am running the PP 5w30 in the wifes Lexus...but I paid almost $2.80/qt at the AAP bogo for that stuff.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: glenncof
When QS Q-HP came out the OEM's that were claimed to spec it included Ferrari, Mazarate, Porsche, et al. Now this was 'not' for 10W30 so the base could be different on this grade but these spec's lead me to believe it's Shells XHVI base which I believe is used in PP.

My understanding is PP always uses custom add pack and QS is likely to use off-the-shelf.

Preceding Q-HP there was Q-this and Q-that for a few years after the SOPUS acquisition of the brands. These didn't have the OEMs spec'd like Q-HP.

I suspect SOPUS was working off supply contracts where were prior to acquisition. PP was then used as flagship to attack Mobil since GrpIII could achieve GrpIV performance at a lower cost, hence lots of promo (remember First Driver!).

And it has changed yet again. HP is now discontinued and the new name du'jour is Ultimate Durability.

Stating it as the packs being relatively similiar but the quality/quantity of the additives differ.

Meaning QHP is weaker than PP, and Forumla Shell is the weakest of the 3.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: NHHEMI
Originally Posted By: glenncof

And it has changed yet again. HP is now discontinued and the new name du'jour is Ultimate Durability.

It still says Horse Power on the bottle.

I do not believe that PP uses the XHVI base stock, as its CAS number is not listed on the MSDS's.

Yeah I know it says it in small print underneath but it is yet another name change within like a year or so. They change names like people change socks and underwear it seems( now that is an exaggeration before anyone comments
LOL.gif
).

Latest name change is due to the dropping of Q as a brand name. Now it is all back to being Quaker State. I like this part.

Seems to be great oil. I get which ever is cheaper when my oil change comes up... Pennzoil Platinum or Quaker State Ultimate Durability (or left over Q HorsePower).

No worries

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back