Q: For people that go multiple OCI on oil filters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are you just so cheap you're trying to save $10-$20 per year, or are you operating under the premise that the big holes in the media will be plugged resulting in a better level of filtration for small particles?

For some it's about cost, sure.

Others see a filter that says on the box 'good for 10k' or 'good for 15k' or whatever, but they don't trust their oil that long and see it as making the most of the product, not being wasteful.

Others do it just to brag about it on here and upset the more OCD members of the board..

I don't condone it, but I know someone who never changes his oil, only his filter every 1500 miles and tops off with whatever is available..kinda like a constant ongoing change. I asked him why he did it that way, turns out thats what his dad told him to do when he was younger and it just stuck with him.
It's on a work-van that never seems to miss a beat!

YMMV

Originally Posted By: Olas
For some it's about cost, sure.

Others see a filter that says on the box 'good for 10k' or 'good for 15k' or whatever, but they don't trust their oil that long and see it as making the most of the product, not being wasteful.

Others do it just to brag about it on here and upset the more OCD members of the board..

I don't condone it, but I know someone who never changes his oil, only his filter every 1500 miles and tops off with whatever is available..kinda like a constant ongoing change. I asked him why he did it that way, turns out thats what his dad told him to do when he was younger and it just stuck with him.
It's on a work-van that never seems to miss a beat!

YMMV

I have heard of that befor if you car / van / tuck burns or leaks a lot of OIL, at least 1 QT a month.

If it leaks 1 QT a month and your putting in 3 QTs and a new filter each 3 months I can see how you might be able to get away with that.

However what if you have a car / van / truck that dont leak a drop or burn a drop of oil?

You can over flow it.

So you will have to change it.

b/c if you jsut change the filter you will only be replacing that what the filter held.. 1 QT perhaps 1 1/2 QTs

Not a good thing to do imo unless you have a beater that leaks and burns OIL.

If you use a filter that is suited for 2 OCIs, then there are a few advantages:

1) Less cost
2) Less hassle, mess & time to do the oil change
3) Less waste and pollution
4) Makes BOF foam at the mouth ... LOL

2 OCI Example

My filters a pain to get too. Its also a considerably much larger pain to get back on. So I use a high end filter.

Way I see it is if anything fresh clean oil will do less harm then acidic oil with alot of miles over the same period of time.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix

1) Less cost

I agree with this.^^^

BTW, who's "BOF"?

Originally Posted By: gfh77665

1) Less cost

I agree with this.^^^

BTW, who's "BOF"?
Blue Oval Filter (sp?)-a big fan of Motorcraft filters-which should be changed every time, unlike full synthetic filters such as an Ultra.

I am both cheap, and operating under aforesaid premise. I also want to minimize having to prefill a dry filter upon change, or dry starting with a new, dry filter.

I use my M1 filter for the OCI it was designed, 15K

If that is 'cheap' then changing it at < the designed interval must be 'stupid'

Last edited:
I'm not cheap I have many filters. Some here would have you believe I'm wanton and wasteful...

I'm also not married to the idea of running it multiple OCI's any more than I am changing it every OCI.

Honda recommends it.

I get a certain amount of pleasure out of bucking BOF.

One of my cars the filter is a bit messy to change, and I'm past the point in my life that laying on concrete covered in automotive fluid is something I'm excited about.

The only thing that bothers me about using a filter for more than one oci is the 1/2 or so of old oil in it. You don't get all the oil out of the engine and now another 1/2 quart in the old filter , probably almost a quart of old oil in the engine.

1) Less cost

2 OCI Example

Yes to all the above points. Its really nice to just pull my car in, drain the oil and fill it back up. Takes less than 10 minutes. If I have to pull the filter, the oil gets all over the steering rack and is a pain to clean out of all the little crevices.

The small amount of oil left over will cause only a slight reduction in the OCI capability of the oil. Ive seen UOAs where adding a quart of oil to a sump boosted TBN several points.
Hmm, that might be interesting. Do a VOA and then take a UOA after only running the engine for a few minutes; just to mix the old oil in the the new throughly.
Ill add it to the to-do list. I should be able to get it done by 2056 at this rate.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Colt45ws

Ill add it to the to-do list. I should be able to get it done by 2056 at this rate.

LOL i know that feeling.

I never really thought about going multiple OCI on the same filter until I started hearing and reading about it on BITOG.
Now I think I am going to start doing it. Never thought of myself as cheap but using one twice will help me reduce filter waste and reduce possible mess in garage.

Answer: because some manufacturers specify using it for two OCI's.

I now use Ultra's with AFE, and plan on running it for a year ~10k miles. The great thing with that combo in the ej25 is that there's probably a good amount of buffer in that choice too
wink.gif

I have never used a filter for two OCI's before, but am planning on doing just that this upcoming OCI. This will minimize dry starts and save money. Plus thats what Honda recommends to do anyway.

Originally Posted By: linksep
Are you just so cheap you're trying to save $10-$20 per year, or are you operating under the premise that the big holes in the media will be plugged resulting in a better level of filtration for small particles?

Personally I don't look at it as being cheap. Before coming to BITOG, I would not have done it, but I've seen multiple examples on here where the filter is constructed well and looks great after multiple runs, or much longer runs than mine. The way I think about it is I would not get rid of something that is working perfectly well/wouldn't be searching for things to repair around the house/car just because they are cheap.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back