PYB SAE30 API SN still OK?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Been using older PYB HD30 API SL in my Toro mower with 190cc B&S engine since new. Do I have anything to worry about with the newer SN formulation in terms of weaker add pack? Should I continue on with this new SAE30 or is there something more appropriate out there and still readily available in local stores?

I'd like to use Rotella SAE30, but it only comes in 1 gal jugs. It'd take me way too long to consume it.

Thanks!

im sure others will argue, but i always use valvoline/napa and sometimes citgo sae 30 in the newest formulation in my fleet, my last fill was citgo sn, valvoline sm prior, i change my oil often, never an issue

Interesting this comes up...neighbor has a toro mower too...and just put some new PYB 30 in it. He's mowed a few times, and mower seems just fine..

Strange this comes up after last week..
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
SN ILSAC phos limits do not apply to HD lubes.

There is not a single ILSAC rated straight 30 weight oil in existence either. ILSAC only rates 20 wt and 30 wt mutli-viscosity oils.
Any API SN oil will be fine for your equipment.

I use the Rotella straight 30 weight. Used to be SJ rated but since that is not supported, they no longer list that on the bottle. Has high phosphorous and zinc.

Originally Posted By: Boomer
I use the Rotella straight 30 weight. Used to be SJ rated but since that is not supported, they no longer list that on the bottle. Has high phosphorous and zinc.

Me too, OP should bite the bullet and buy a gallon, but qts. of Rotella 15w-40 would work as well.

So what if it sits around a while, I've got a case of Rotella 30wt. with 2004-05 date codes that I bought on clearance at Advance Auto.

I'd use that PYB SAE30 without worry. Maintaining a proper level and some level of service is the main thing.

Now if I had to go out and buy something specific for small air cooled engines, I'd go a different route unless they were selling name brand SAE30 for a price a BITOG'r couldn't resist of course.

Joel

Small engine low loading, not critical rotella T SAE 30 HD should do fine - it works for a detroit diesel. T 10w30 would be fine too. Many small engine ODPE oils in 200z are now under-addtised and too expensive anyhow (Look what happened to some of the low end John Deere stuff).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back