PYB 5w-20, 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5203miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's the second oil sample for a 2014 Jeep WK2. I will be extending the OCI next time based on these results.
Code:

OIL Mopar 5W/20

MILES IN USE 10,454

MILES 5,203

SAMPLE TAKEN 07/07/2015

MAKE UP OIL ADDED None

7/7/2015 1/01/2105

ALUMINUM 5 8

CHROMIUM 1 1

IRON 28 35

COPPER 93 179

LEAD 1 2

TIN 0 1

MOLYBDENUM 128 196

NICKEL 1 1

MANGANESE 9 22

SILVER 0 0

TITANIUM 0 0

POTASSIUM 2 7

BORON 58 53

SILICON 30 72

SODIUM 4 6

CALCIUM 2431 2063

MAGNESIUM 11 6

PHOSPHORUS 743 618

ZINC 903 696

BARIUM 0 1

SUS VIS 210ºF 52.5 53.8

cSt @ 212ºF 8.02 8.42

FLASHPOINT ºF 400 440

FUEL
ANTIFREEZE 0.0 0.0

WATER 0.0 0.0

INSOLUBLES TR 0.2

TBN 3.5 3.7

Blackstone Comments: Pretty much everything improved in this second sample, which is exactly what we'd hoped to see as

this engine weathers the wear-in process. Metals came down across the board, leaving just copper in the

highlight-worthy category. That's not surprising -- copper is typically the last metal to leave the wear-in

festivities, but even it will eventually jive with averages. Silicon still has a mark, but it improved by more than

half, so we're not complaining. Oil filtration is great, as shown by the mere trace of insolubles, and the TBN

is fine at 3.5, so try 7,000 miles next. Nice!

Yeah, the copper is a bit high for the second oil change, but as long as it keeps decreasing there's nothing to worry about. Thanks for posting.

Thanks for posting. Since the engine is still breaking in, most of the numbers are of little value. But TBN should be valid in any engine, new or broken in. I would go to 7500. Remember TBN depletion is not linear.

Originally Posted By: Donald
Thanks for posting. Since the engine is still breaking in, most of the numbers are of little value. But TBN should be valid in any engine, new or broken in. I would go to 7500. Remember TBN depletion is not linear.

I agree completely.
This confirms to me that PYB is just as capable as many synthetics.

@ Strongmad - What percentage of your driving is hwy/city ?

Great report
thumbsup2.gif
- I have PYB lined up for my Accord next change.
As much as I love PP - it's overkill for my application.
The UOAs posted recently for PYB , show that it's more than capable for what I need.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Bud_One
@ Strongmad - What percentage of your driving is hwy/city ?

Great report
thumbsup2.gif
- I have PYB lined up for my Accord next change.
As much as I love PP - it's overkill for my application.
The UOAs posted recently for PYB , show that it's more than capable for what I need.

It's pretty much all city.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
The uoa says Mopar 5W20 and title says pyb. Which oil was used in this uoa?

The dealership did the change. They told me the 'Mopar' oil was PYB.

Originally Posted By: strongmad
Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
The uoa says Mopar 5W20 and title says pyb. Which oil was used in this uoa?

The dealership did the change. They told me the 'Mopar' oil was PYB.

I wonder if that's why the moly is showing to be low according to the other poster? Does Mopar branded oil contain any moly?

Another member just posted his Dodge dealer uses Pennzoil syn blend. Is this perhaps the Pennzoil syn blend? We have never seen a UOA/VOA on it, and it sure looks like Pennzoil except for the moly, it's about half here what PYB would have.

May be tri-nuclear moly in the synblend though I'd find that hard to believe. For a buck more you already get 50% synthetic base oil it would be hard to believe you get a higher grade of moly as well. Perhaps they cut the moly to compensate for the extra cost of the syn base and the Dexos licensing?

Originally Posted By: Bigdaddyeasy
I'm surprised a jeep of any model specs 5w20. How long have they been doing that?

Since at least 8/2014 when I purchased this Jeep.

Originally Posted By: KCJeep
Another member just posted his Dodge dealer uses Pennzoil syn blend. Is this perhaps the Pennzoil syn blend? We have never seen a UOA/VOA on it, and it sure looks like Pennzoil except for the moly, it's about half here what PYB would have.

May be tri-nuclear moly in the synblend though I'd find that hard to believe. For a buck more you already get 50% synthetic base oil it would be hard to believe you get a higher grade of moly as well. Perhaps they cut the moly to compensate for the extra cost of the syn base and the Dexos licensing?

I just know the Service Adviser told my PYB. I have one more free oil change before I start doing it myself, so I will ask again and report back. I would like to know whats really in it based on this UOA. I might just stick with it. Sure beats the 7.5 quarts of Motul 300V that goes in the bimmer.

Originally Posted By: strongmad
Originally Posted By: Bigdaddyeasy
I'm surprised a jeep of any model specs 5w20. How long have they been doing that?

Since at least 8/2014 when I purchased this Jeep.

Chrysler started calling out 5W-20 for the Grand Cherokee in MY2013.

[/quote]Sure beats the 7.5 quarts of Motul 300V that goes in the bimmer. [/quote]

OP, What weight do you use in which model if I may ask?

The two Dodge/Chrysler dealers in my area that I'm familiar with both use Pennzoil Synblend 5W-20 as their bulk oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back