Putting used tires up for sale. Is it worth it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just wanted some opinions before I go to the trouble of doing this. My NT05s are getting mounted tomorrow and 3 of the 4 of my BFG Sports have 7/32 tread left evenly worn. One got eaten up due to a bad alignment. Is it worth the hassle to try and sell an incomplete set of tires and can I be held liable if someone has a blowout or failre of some kind?

I have a feeling most of you are going to say to not do it, in which case I'll pick out the best 2 as spares. I hate these things and I wouldn't want more than $40 for all of them because I doubt anyone would be happy with them.

There are a plethora of forums where folks are selling tires all the time, many times OEM since they are viewed as horrible. I would sell them. A lot of people have one tire that needs replacing so this could fill that niche.

I'm not a lawyer nor do I pretend to be one on the Internet, but you can be sued for anything you do & many things that you don't do. With that said, the chances of being sued are slim. The chances of being sued if someone does die due to a blowout are pretty high I would think. This is true whenever there is a fatality involved in a wreck. The chances of someone dieing due to a blowout from faulty tires that you sold to them are almost nil. It appears the viewpoint of selling tires by themselves is different than the viewpoint of selling a used car & the tires failing. This might be due to no warranty type paperwork that should follow a used car. You might be able to do the same with the tires, but I don't know how much valid it would be.

Wow, thanks. I expected just the opposite. I just put them up on our local board that gets like 2 views a day for $20 each. I forgot one of them even has a date code of late '08 and 8/32 tread left because I had it replaced due to a sidewall puncture. Someone will get a good deal on some terrible tires.

Can't wait to get the NTO5s on the car tomorrow.

I got $75 for a pair of Bridgestone summer tires of my IS350. They probably had around 8 32'nds on them (I forget).

Originally Posted By: ksJoe
I got $75 for a pair of Bridgestone summer tires of my IS350. They probably had around 8 32'nds on them (I forget).

Did you upgrade right away? The reason I ask is my friend's '06 IS350 is getting close to 12,000 miles and the tires are nearly gone. Not sure if it's the tires or the fact that he drives the heck out of it when he drives it. I believe it has the same tires but not sure. It has the sport suspension and 18" rims if that makes a difference.

Used tires are always worth selling. I for one, only buy used tires. i find all kinds of good tread around here without having to look hard. It's just one of those things I've come to realize, new tires are a waste of $ when you can get tires with 80% tread for 30-40% of retail. (at least thats roughly what the prices seem to be around here)

Throw them on Craiglist for twenty bucks. Someone will be happy with them, and you won't feel wasteful.

In your posting state that they are used and "as is" and keep a copy, should protect you from most liability.

Originally Posted By: BuickGN
Originally Posted By: ksJoe

Did you upgrade right away? The reason I ask is my friend's '06 IS350 is getting close to 12,000 miles and the tires are nearly gone. Not sure if it's the tires or the fact that he drives the heck out of it when he drives it. I believe it has the same tires but not sure. It has the sport suspension and 18" rims if that makes a difference.

I bought the car used, they were not the original tires. IIRC, they had a pretty good treadwear rating. Mine has the 17" rims.

(more info - it was a spontaneous upgrade)

Whoever mounts them is more in line for liability, esp if you take cash & don't leave a receipt, and they get a receipt from the tire place. Remember the tire people are "experts" and should have business insurance.

If you use craigslist, tell buyers to leave their phone # in email (you get an anon email) then call that # back from a payphone or with a calling card to hide your caller ID.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
Whoever mounts them is more in line for liability, esp if you take cash & don't leave a receipt, and they get a receipt from the tire place. Remember the tire people are "experts" and should have business insurance.

If you use craigslist, tell buyers to leave their phone # in email (you get an anon email) then call that # back from a payphone or with a calling card to hide your caller ID.

I've gotten TWO gay guys soliciting me. F-Craigslist. What a waste. I should meet them with the police.

Originally Posted By: BuickGN
I've gotten TWO gay guys soliciting me. F-Craigslist. What a waste. I should meet them with the police.

You must be a cutie
crackmeup2.gif

Are you sure it was in the right section? And I wonder what could have been attracting their attention to you instead of the tires. It's funny nonetheless.

let your kids play with them!

I personally wouldn't mount any tyres not bought new from the rack...

Originally Posted By: asiancivicmaniac
Are you sure it was in the right section? And I wonder what could have been attracting their attention to you instead of the tires. It's funny nonetheless.

maybe "two tyres, twenty bucks" is secret code for something...

Maybe they were hoping for a blowout?

Or perhaps they just wanted something they could mount and balance.

Originally Posted By: pzev
Maybe they were hoping for a blowout?

Or perhaps they just wanted something they could mount and balance.

:rimshot:

He will be here all weekend, folks. Tip your waitresses.

I was wondering if he mistyped "WTS: Pair tires, ready to roll" and instead typed "WTB: Pair, tied, ready to romp"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back