Putting an 04 Yukon Denali AWD LQ4 6.0 in an Isuzu NPR...

I need to get a high mileage 2004 Isuzu NPR with a bad LQ4 6.0 back on the road and have found an engine, also LQ4 from an 04 Yukon Denali AWD. I assume intake and oil pan will need to be swapped, but anyone else have experience here and know anything else we might need to be prepared for? I want the shop to have all the gaskets and whatever else they need.

Yeah I'm mostly worried about sensors with weird plugs and stuff. I'm sure the accessory brackets are different. The Yukon engine is just about all I can find that is easily purchasable, so I'm going that route because I really need this thing back on the road.

If your current NPR still has the bad engine in it, you will have everything you need. I don't even know if them trucks had a different pan or intake.

I'd get pan gasket, intake gaskets, water pump gasket and water pump, spark plugs, maybe valve cover gaskets and call it a day. Should be a very easy swap.

Should be no Isuzu specific sensors, LQ4 is LQ4.

In some of my preliminary Googling, the NPR may have the same oil pan as some Camaros. 🤣 I'll get a water pump for it. Hopefully the radiator hoses are good, or replacements aren't a wild goose chase. I hate buying parts for this thing. Even though they were also sold as GMs, the catalog sucks and even if I can find a part number, I can't buy it. I had to get a tail light off Amazon because the GM number was unobtainable. The drivers like the Isuzu because it's easy to drive and the floor height though, so I want to fix it.

It uses 4th Gen F-Body Oil Pan & Exhaust Manifolds. Uses GM Truck front accessory drive spacing but with a vacuum pump. The intake is also GM Truck.

Buy a NEW Crank Spacer & Flexplate!! It is different than a 4L65E Flexplate & I almost guarantee that the 4L80E Crank Spacer on the NPR LQ4 is worn out. I have the Ballcap & T-Shirt from dealing with this!!!!
*Once you unbolt the 4L80E Torque Converter from an engine with a worn Crank Spacer which is the Pilot for the Torque Converter Hub.....It will NEVER be able to Center again.
*This will cause a bad vibration & will wipe out the Front Pump Bushing.

Flexplate....Part# 19260102
Crank Spacer....Part# 12563532
Bolts....Part# 19257940

The original Crank bolts out of the NPR can be reused if you apply Anaerobic Thread Sealant to the threads.

You will want to reseal the Rear Engine Cover on any LSx engine. Watch what color Oil Pick-up Tube O-ring the NPR uses as that's what you'll need

I highly recommend installing ARP Exhaust Manifold bolts....ARP Part# 134-1102. Don't be surprised if the NPR exhaust manifolds are cracked &/or warped making them unusable.
You'll likely need to extract at least a couple of broken manifold bolts from the Denali LQ4....Welding a washer then a nut is the best way I've found.

Back