Putting 5 quarts in a car with 4.5 quart cap.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Overfilling can cause lots of problems (too many to list). To get around this I run a larger filter to take up more of the oil.

My 02 Silverado 4.3 came that way from the factory and when I got the free oil change the dealer did the same thing. I am sneaking up on 24K miles and no problems I can see from it. I also use a PF52 to take up some of the extra.

quote:

Originally posted by Mike:
A 1/2 qt is nothing to worry about.

Agreed. Most people I know with LT1 engines like mine that use longer filters, run 5.0 qts. I run 5.5. My wife's Honda calls for 3.8 qts, I put in 4.2. My mom's Probe GT calls for 4.5 qts, I put in 5.0. You can squeak in a bit more oil in most engines without a problem, just go a little bit at a time until you find the high point (which shows up with tiny bubbles in the oil right after shutdown) Also, the LS1 f-body calls for 5.5 quarts, but many autocross guys I know run as much as 7 quarts!

The Corvette runs 6quarts btw
smile.gif
Different pan.

I have to go with:

c) No difference. Well actually slightly benefical. I can't think of many cars with over 4 qts total cap, where 1/2 qt extra will cause great harm.

1 quart more is too much though.

With 1/2 qt more, where is the level on the dipstick?

IN my Dodge diesel truck i dump three gallons in when its suppose to take 11 quarts. Its a pain in the bum to dump out one quart out of a gallon container. I have never had a problem doing this.

quote:

Originally posted by Dominic:
The Corvette runs 6quarts btw
smile.gif
Different pan.

It's 6.5 quarts actually. Not sure if it too is safe to run 7 in though. But it's definitely safe in the f-body's LS1. Even GM engineers have given their blessing, apparently there is a lot of leeway until it's overfilled.

quote:

Originally posted by blano:
IN my Dodge diesel truck i dump three gallons in when its suppose to take 11 quarts. Its a pain in the bum to dump out one quart out of a gallon container. I have never had a problem doing this.

This is the exact reason why there is always room for a bit more oil. Car makers know some people will overfill it a bit based on convenience. For example, my wife's Honda. As mentioned, it takes 3.8qts according to the manual. But many people won't bother leaving that last 0.2qt in the bottle. And up here I buy oil in L, so I'm not going to leave 0.4L behind. It's useless to me since her engine burns no noticeable amount of oil between changes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back