Put the smoke back into HF drill

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought a cheap HF 3/8 VSR back in May. I abused this poor piece of Chinesium un mercifully backing 10" screws out of landscaping timbers, attempting to start a 5hp mower.I let smoke out of it on several occasions. Finally,all the smoke was expelled in a shower of flame as the cord burned off where it exited the handle. Today, I opened it up expecting carnage. Nothing, all visible damage was to the cord. It was the flimsiest cord i've ever seen on a drill. I replaced with a 14 awg cord and voila. Fixed! Ready for more abuse!
grin2.gif

Hahahahaha, your experience mirrors mine. I purchased a HF angle grinder. With the exception of the cord, it's been pretty good!

Dad used to have a HF electric chainsaw with an Oregon bar and chain installed from the factory. Took down a tree and 6 VERY tall palm trees before letting out the magic smoke. The replacement HF chainsaw is a newer model that has trouble cutting a twig.

Its possible you only exhausted the main smoke tank, and theres is a reserve hidden somewhere else in the drill that may give you that extra boost next time its working hard.

Sounds like you may have gotten one of the old nascar winston cup drills. The cords were made by R.J. Reynolds. Might be hard to get a proper replacement cord.

Last edited:
Most of their cheap cordless stuff is similar. Once you open the battery pack and replace the cells with something better, they run very well. I'd rather drop an HF cordless drill in the salt water than say a Rigid or something ...

Originally Posted By: andyd
I bought a cheap HF 3/8 VSR back in May. I abused this poor piece of Chinesium un mercifully backing 10" screws out of landscaping timbers, attempting to start a 5hp mower.I let smoke out of it on several occasions. Finally,all the smoke was expelled in a shower of flame as the cord burned off where it exited the handle. Today, I opened it up expecting carnage. Nothing, all visible damage was to the cord. It was the flimsiest cord i've ever seen on a drill. I replaced with a 14 awg cord and voila. Fixed! Ready for more abuse!
grin2.gif

Oh come on, we want to see some pictures.

Originally Posted By: onetwoothreee
Originally Posted By: andyd
grin2.gif

Oh come on, we want to see some pictures.

The Magic Smoke that powers all electric devices is, of course, magic. Like Vampires in a mirror, it cannot be photographed.

There is also this ghost smoke that can be seen by few animals only. Explains some anomaly in your pets' behaviour.

No worries I have some of the last smoke made for BMG. No smoke was lost in the last mower start. Weed wacked with it .2' weeds barely slowed it down.
grin2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back