put pzl plat 0-20 in 2012 chevy sonic

Status
Not open for further replies.
car has 23,500 miles and i wanted to see if oil was as good as M1 0-20 which is my favorite oil. I have seen a .01 increase in mpg in only 100 miles of driving and i am hoping for at least .02. With the exception of turbos, i feel anything from SN 0-20 to 10-30 will be fine in gas engines. My friend has not changed his oil in 21k on his 2011 suzuki and car still runs fine. I added a qt but i have the feeling he will not change his oil for a long time so i feel if people like these who as we know are not few and far between can get away with that then going to 0-20 should not be a problem esp with pzl plat. i only go 7-8k on oil before changing

The BITOG-approved acronym is PP (helps a lot with limited thread title characters.)

Your buddy sounds like a fool, and I'm not really sure how you're trying to correlate a too-long interval with the use of 0W-20.

What do you mean you're hoping for at least .02? I'm assuming you mean 2%, but without units, numbers mean nothing.

First off your buddy is an idiot since vehicle maintenance is just simple common sense.
Secondly pennzoil platinum is as good as M1 so either or will do just fine in your engine at that interval.
Between M1 and Pennzoil platinum I would use whichever was on sale when I was shipping since they are equal in quality.
Pennzoil has spent a lot of money testing and proving their oils cleaning ability. So in that respect I give the edge to pennzoil however Mobil has millions of satisfied users.

Originally Posted By: chet2
I have seen a .01 increase in mpg in only 100 miles of driving and i am hoping for at least .02.

????

Oh really.

How could anyone tell a 1-2% change in MPG in 100 miles due to oil brand? That would be amazing.

You can't be sure of any improved MPG over a 100 mile run. Too short and too many variables...
Running a few tankfuls will give you a better idea of MPG.

Changing oil is about the cheapest service you can do for your car and saving a few dollars on oil or on extended oil changes (beyond 7,500 miles) in a year is the most expensive risk you can take...but that's just my feelings about oil.

The 1.8 in the Sonic calls for 5w-30. If it's a 1.4T and he put 0w-20 in there, he's begging for trouble.

Originally Posted By: sciphi
The 1.8 in the Sonic calls for 5w-30. If it's a 1.4T and he put 0w-20 in there, he's begging for trouble.

I'm assuming he has the 1.8 (non-turbo) since he mentions using 20 weight in motors other than turbos.
Personally, I would use 5w30 as GM recommends.

I have determined (or decided) from looking at UOA's, that the OLM on my 1.4T Cruze is optimistic.
I plan on changing out the full synthetic at no more than 6 (maybe 7K if a lot of highway driving) regardless of what the OLM states. I assume that GM calibrated the OLM the same for both the 1.8 and 1.4T and we see that the DI Equinox's had to be recalibrated downwards. (while I know that color is supposedly meaningless, the oil in my turbo darkens much quicker than my non-turbo vehicles).

OT: When Mobil 1 first introduced 0w20 (SL) it was shown, by UOA's, to be a very robust, extended drain capable* oil...is the latest version still extended drain capable? Is PP 0w20 extended drain capable?

*I remember several great UOA's of over 10K

Originally Posted By: pbm

I'm assuming he has the 1.8 (non-turbo) since he mentions using 20 weight in motors other than turbos.

I have determined (or decided) from looking at UOA's, that the OLM on my 1.4T Cruze is optimistic.
I plan on changing out the full synthetic at no more than 6 (maybe 7K if a lot of highway driving) regardless of what the OLM states. I assume that GM calibrated the OLM the same for both the 1.8 and 1.4T and we see that the DI Equinox's had to be recalibrated downwards. (while I know that color is supposedly meaningless, the oil in my turbo darkens much quicker than my non-turbo vehicles).

OT: When Mobil 1 first introduced 0w20 (SL) it was shown, by UOA's, to be a very robust, extended drain capable* oil...is the latest version still extended drain capable? Is PP 0w20 extended drain capable?

\

What do you mean "extended drain capable"?

my mpg did go up .1 to 33.9 after 100 miles. My friend knows better but he just does not care, i have known quite a few people like that. Maybe i am the idiot for changing synthetic oil after 7500k considering i know people who put in the cheapest oil they can find and rarely even change the oil. my bil had a camry that went 330k and it was lucky if it got 12 oil changes the whole time

There is no way to verify an increase of 0.1 MPG, ESPECIALLY after only 100 miles. In other words, your mileage was unchanged.

Originally Posted By: tig1
Originally Posted By: pbm

\

What do you mean "extended drain capable"?

The SL version of Mobil 1 0w20 had several UOA's that showed it to be capable of going well over 10K.
Some would say it was similar in make up to the current Mobil 1 EP (which claims 15K capability).
Since Mobil came out with EP, I'm wondering if the regular Mobil 1 has been watered down slightly?
Was PU ever capable of 10K?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back