Put Pennzoil Platinum Euro L in a Honda.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well I asked for 6 quarts of Pennzoil platinum 5w-30, they came back with a box of six quarts, didn't notice until after changing the oil that it was Euro L not regular pennzoil platinum. Car is an old 1994 honda prelude with a dual cam non vtec 2.3 4 cylinder with 220,000 miles. Wondering if I should rush to change it or will it be okay for a few thousand miles. I normally wouldn't be worried but it says "designed specifically for diesel engines" on it and I read that it has a different additive package than most oils.

Originally Posted By: dunlop0078
Well I asked for 6 quarts of Pennzoil platinum 5w-30, they came back with a box of six quarts, didn't notice until after changing the oil that it was Euro L not regular pennzoil platinum. Car is an old 1994 honda prelude with a dual cam non vtec 2.3 4 cylinder with 220,000 miles. Wondering if I should rush to change it or will it be okay for a few thousand miles. I normally wouldn't be worried but it says "designed specifically for diesel engines" on it and I read that it has a different additive package than most oils.

It's OK for the duration of your normal OCI. Euro L is API SN just like the regular oil you use.

Quote:
Pennzoil Platinum
Euro L SAE 5W-30 can be used for modern diesel engines with particulate filters, as well as modern gasoline engines.

And it's fine for not so modern ones too.

Had a couple in my stash … it is going in a gas engine after Delvac 1 run …

It should be fine for a normal OCI IMO.

This is the main reason that I wasn't a fan of SOPUS decision to go with all yellow bottles (just to save a few pennies per)....too easy to confuse formula's if not careful.

Originally Posted By: pbm

This is the main reason that I wasn't a fan of SOPUS decision to go with all yellow bottles (just to save a few pennies per)....too easy to confuse formula's if not careful.

The words on the bottle are pretty big...

Originally Posted By: dogememe
Originally Posted By: pbm

The words on the bottle are pretty big...

You're right about that....but I once left WM without QSUD because I was still looking for the gold bottle forgetting that they had recently changed to a green jug with gold letters. It makes me work a little harder now that they aren't color-coded.

Thanks guys, I wont worry too much about it. The only difference between the bottles is one says Euro L and the other doesn't, NAPA guy made the same mistake. Last time I bought some it was in a grey bottle.

LL-04 is used on gassers and diesels in Central Europe where they use low sulfur fuels. Now that the US is low sulfur, I wouldn’t hesitate to use it. I bought some on clearance and am using it in my OPE. My VW is still under warranty but would use it if I had some left.

Originally Posted By: LotI
LL-04 is used on gassers and diesels in Central Europe where they use low sulfur fuels. Now that the US is low sulfur, I wouldn’t hesitate to use it. I bought some on clearance and am using it in my OPE. My VW is still under warranty but would use it if I had some left.

Agree. If Mobil 1 ESP 5w-30 is any indicator, these may be decent oils with low NOACK. Too bad SOPUS gives us the runaround on that.

The right experiment to run is to use this oil, check TBN retention at a conservative OCI and then adapt from there.

My guess is that TBN will hold well.

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3296998/Pennzoil_Ultra_Euro_L_5W30,_VW

It is overkill for your engine. You will be fine but engine might feel bit sluggish then before. Reason for that is that Euro L is heavy 5W30, almost 5W40 oil.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Originally Posted By: LotI

Agree. If Mobil 1 ESP 5w-30 is any indicator, these may be decent oils with low NOACK. Too bad SOPUS gives us the runaround on that.

The right experiment to run is to use this oil, check TBN retention at a conservative OCI and then adapt from there.

Actually last available SOPUS pds of Euro L states NOACK of 11%.

I've been using this oil (well Shell Helix Ultra ECT C3 5W30 is the global variant.)

I wouldn't worry at all. it's a more premium oil designed to leave fewer deposits. That's why it's in my sludge prone Saab 9-5 turbo, and always will be. After cleaning my sump 35,000kms ago (it was coked in the nastiest sludge and coke I have ever seen and the oil pickup almost completely blocked.) I had the sump off just to check the other day and true to form; Helix ultra had not formed a single deposit in the sump. Good enough for me to keep using it.

Jordan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back