Put my wife's dog down yesterday

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some of you wanted to see him.

[Linked Image]

You may be able to see that his left eye was swelling in this picture. That eye had been injured before we got him, and he developed glaucoma in it. We had to have it removed because it began swelling up.

You can take comfort in the fact that you rescued him and gave him a good life....I'm sure he appreciated it.....Dog's rule...

Sorry for your loss. If it gives you solace you gave Blue the best years of his life and he would not have been complete without you.

Sorry the hear this. Not easy, but you rescued him , make his life whole by letting him love you, and you guys loved him. Then you gave him the best gift, not letting him suffer.

Humane loving pet owners. Wish there were more. We have a Shepard mix that was also abused. Shameful that people abuse animals, and yet uplifting that there are people like you who care for them.

I had to put down my chocolate lab on Oct 28, one week before his 12th birthday after getting him at 8 weeks old. He was suffering from degenerative myopathy in his spine. Back end was getting progressively weaker and worst part was it was affecting his breathing. It was basically slowly paralyzing and suffocating him. He finally lost control of his bowels that day, and couldn't walk for than 20 ft without having to lay down. I'm still not completely over it. I was amazed how fast the phenobarbital works, literally in about 10 seconds.

Hey Stelth,

I think that one of the measures of our society is how we treat the elderly, the helpless and dependents, our pets. I am convinced that they offer more to us, than we to them. Thank you for your adoption and stewardship of Blue. The very fact that you thought so much of him to remember, and grieve indicates how important he was to your lives. I have struggled with this, pondering when my selfish motives to keep a beloved pet alive has crossed the line. Your pet cannot decide when to end the suffering. Sometimes the most kind action is to let go, end the problem, end the suffering. A physician has taken an oath to do no harm. With a vet it should be prolong life, not prolong suffering. I am so sorry for your loss. You did the right thing, though difficult, you are good people. Maybe in a while you will be able to give another dog a chance. Not a replacement, can never be, but a new beginning for a deserving dog.

Scott

I had to do the same thing. Gosh, I cried! Never told anyone. Reverse the word "dog". We can't let our best friends suffer.

Sorry for your loss. It's never easy, but you did the responsible, humane thing.
Fur babies will let us know when it's time, my last experience with this was 7-17-17....
Not discounting your experience, and it's really soon, but you have an opportunity to give another great life again for another hound that needs it.

Originally Posted by Stelth

So we made the decision that he wasn't coming home. My wife held him as the drugs were administered until he stopped breathing. Probably one of the hardest things she's ever done, but the right thing.

He was a good dog.

Rest assured ending his suffering was the best gift you could give him. Hats off to you, as I know how hard it is to do such a thing.

Quote:
Not discounting your experience, and it's really soon, but you have an opportunity to give another great life again for another hound that needs it.

Yep. Another dog with a wagging tail and giving you licks on your cheek will ease the pain of a beloved dog that passed away.

Forty some years of having cats and dogs. Still feel bad when I think of having to help them across the Rainbow Bridge. However, they did not have to suffer through a long and painful demise. As for me, I am going to have to endure it all. No one is going to help old Hosteen over his Rainbow Bridge. Bah Humbug.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back