Put deposit for an MK8 Golf R today

Not sure if I did the right thing, but always wanted to have AWD hot-hatch. I wasn't used to changing cars that often, and never changed my car unless it was a necessity, until today. It's the first time I put a deposit on an MK8 Golf R just because I want to. I know it's probably the worst timing, but hot hatches are usually going for MSRP even before the covid. Due to the used market - brand new is the way to go nowadays if you are patient enough.

Buying the GLI last year was a necessity as my '09 Acura CSX was totaled, and I needed a car that can do-it-all (commuting, getting groceries and occasional track days) and it had to be below $40k OTD (it was an unexpected event and I wasn't financially ready), therefore I did not have the luxury to choose AWD hot-hatch or sports sedan, and there was no brand new MK8 or even MK7.5 Golf R available when I bought it.

I've been driving/tracking my FWD sporty sedans / hot-hatches for the last 10 years. Another reason why I went with GLI for more rear legroom and cargo space (compared to the GTI), but later I found that we always choose our other vehicle for family trips, so GLI just takes me to work once a week, and goes to track 5-6 times a year. We are still using rear seats occasionally, but not for long distances.

I chose Blue - DSG (wife can't drive manual) and no sunroof. Not sure why it does not have fancy color options like the GTI, but I like the blue. The sales guy was very surprised that I especially don't want a sunroof (it's optional here in Canada), it's because helmet is required on some tracks I need maximum headroom, and to be honest, I never use it and don't want to pay extra for a feature that I will never use.

The best part about having a car with a similar/same chassis is that I can move most aftermarket parts to the new car. Extra set of wheels, spacers, camber ball joint, etc they'll all fit with no problem.

Long story short, I'll be paying MSRP and no extra accessories, wait time is around 1-1.5 years, which I am in no rush at all. I will be driving the GLI until it's arrived. I still like the GLI and if I can afford I'd like to keep both, though I need to find a way to convince my wife for that lol (she still doesn't know that I bought it LOL)

It should look like this (without the sunroof):

1661819718295.png

Anyways, just wanted to share my thoughts - thanks for your time

DG

Last edited:
When she finds out, depending how far you live from NH, I got a couch for you to crash on. If you live that long.
Thanks for the invite, much appreciated :)

She found out, all good! I'm still alive, but she is not a car-person, so it doesn't make sense for her to sell 4 door sedan to a 4-door hatchback lol. She is definitely not happy after hearing the price tag for a Golf (it's not R for her) - and that's the reason why I picked it (versatility), instead of something like a Camaro SS. Both have the same price tag.

Thanks for the invite, much appreciated :)

She found out, all good! I'm still alive, but she is not a car-person, so it doesn't make sense for her to sell 4 door sedan to a 4-door hatchback lol. She is definitely not happy after hearing the price tag for a Golf (it's not R for her) - and that's the reason why I picked it (versatility), instead of something like a Camaro SS. Both have the same price tag.
SS is a great car. Just not for me. I'm 6'3" and I ended up almost taking right turns every time I shifted if I was not careful.

A track guy such as yourself , you'd hate the blindspots. Don't even get me started on that windshield being 6'3" .

The wife thing, let me teach you a few things that worked for my bud when he ran it by his wife.

Hint: "honey, the bubble shape of the R makes it stronger and less susceptible to roof cave in just in case of a roll over. Just look at the Roman structure architecture. My main concern is YOUR safety. The AWD is safer, for YOU" .

FOLLOW ME FOR MORE MARRIAGE BUL....ADVICE

SS is a great car. Just not for me. I'm 6'3" and I ended up almost taking right turns every time I shifted if I was not careful.

A track guy such as yourself , you'd hate the blindspots. Don't even get me started on that windshield being 6'3" .

The wife thing, let me teach you a few things that worked for my bud when he ran it by his wife.

Hint: "honey, the bubble shape of the R makes it stronger and less susceptible to roof cave in just in case of a roll over. Just look at the Roman structure architecture. My main concern is YOUR safety. The AWD is safer, for YOU" .

I like to do-it-all with my vehicles (and buy it accordingly, including my motorcycle), and that's the reason why there is nothing better than the Golf R within my budget. I just wanted to give Camaro SS as an example, not for me as well.

If I had the money, I'd go with E63 AMG Wagon, that's the ultimate do-it-all machine for me.

You are an amateur. I told my wife that some guys cheat to get over the midlife crisis; I track cars. She said: ahh, just do whatever you want.

I like to do-it-all with my vehicles (and buy it accordingly, including my motorcycle), and that's the reason why there is nothing better than the Golf R within my budget. I just wanted to give Camaro SS as an example, not for me as well.

If I had the money, I'd go with E63 AMG Wagon, that's the ultimate do-it-all machine for me.
Dude, me too. My track toys always been my daily drivers. If I can't drive it there, switch tires, Pads, swap in a seat, run great times, then that car is not for me.

Don't even get me started on wagons. I'd give a certain body part for a RS6 Avant.

You are an amateur. I told my wife that some guys cheat to get over the midlife crisis; I track cars. She said: ahh, just do whatever you want.
Amateur, maybe. You know what, I'll take your advice.

My wife's Army. She just left for drill. She's got shooting quals this weekend. She passes with 38 or 39 out of 40 in the regular.

When she gets back, I'll use your line.

If I don't post on Monday, it's your fault.

Amateur, maybe. You know what, I'll take your advice.

My wife's Army. She just left for drill. She's got shooting quals this weekend. She passes with 38 or 39 out of 40 in the regular.

When she gets back, I'll use your line.

If I don't post on Monday, it's your fault.
Well, you are in a pickle as she has a tool to exert revenge. My wife approaches that from a preventive aspect.

Well there's also the E450 wagon now. The E63 AMG wagon really held it's value compared to the sedans, typically worth an extra 10-20k over the sedan version. The E350 wagons pretty much tracked with the sedans or lower. The E450 wagon at 362 hp isn't too shabby. I don't think you can even get an E63 wagon new now.

Well, here is an update that there is no update, and VW keeps jacking up the MSRP. The MSRP is almost $5k CDN more since I put the deposit, and I started to think it might not be worth it (I'm obliged to pay the current MSRP when it arrives, so we do not know how much expensive it'll be). Some dealers stopped taking a deposit as it'd take 2-3 years.

I'm still not backing off as the used prices continue to be significantly higher if they keep delivering less than 50 Golf Rs / month worldwide (and would take years to take the delivery), I will probably have fun for few months and sell it at a profit when it arrives. If the market goes down, then I'll back off before the delivery and will get my deposit back. Either way, I won't be keeping it for long, not worth for a Golf to pay $60k+ CDN out-the-door, for the extra $5-10k I could have gotten a brand new S4 with much less wait time.

It's not just the Golf though, all hot hatches are overpriced and unnecessarily hyped up, they are meant to be an affordable fun cars in the past, but now OEMs want you to see it like a supercar and want you to wait / pay the premium for it.

For now I'm sticking with the GLI for a foreseeable future, and when the time comes, I am leaning towards moving to an EV like a Tesla Model 3 as a daily, and will buy/build more track-focused car (something like BRZ?) instead of having 1 car to do-it-all. I think that's going to make me happier in the long term.

Last edited:
The price isn't locked in when you put down your deposit?
How long before your delivery?

It's not locked (no one does that here), but it is a fully refundable deposit.

I was told a little over year before the delivery, but I guess it will be around 1.5-2 years.

I never open the sunroof on my Accord (or on my recent BMW) either. The Tesla doesn't have one and I don't miss it; on the other hand its roof is all glass.
My salesperson had to fight with Munich to have my Club Sport built without a hole in the roof- even though it was listed as an option. Fortunately she was successful. I have yet to open the sunroof in the C43, Clubman, or the X1. I might even have been coaxed into a G42 M240 if sunroof delete had been available.

Back