Put 0w-20 in the Vibe for the first time

Status
Not open for further replies.
2007 Vibe with 130K. The car has been on 5w-30 since new. With cold weather coming I changed the oil a few days ago using QSUD 0w-20 (on sale at Menards for a great price).

This vehicle has a Toyota made 1ZZ-FE 1.8L engine and is common in Matrix and Corolla vehicles singe the early 2000's. I have owned this engine in a prior vehicle and it is a gem.

I just got back from an 800 mile trip and had a few observations.

1) The car is quieter at idle. My wife even commented at how quiet the car is. Turned off all vents and listened. Very impressed. I always thought that a heavier oil would quiet things down more. Not so in this case.

2) No oil usage at all. Checked the oil before the trip, during and after the trip. Dipstick still completely full as normal. This car has never used oil though.

3) I did not notice a big difference in fuel economy.

I am pretty happy with my choice for this winter. I was really worried about the car using some oil after being on a steady diet of 5w-30 its whole life.

Last edited:
let us know how it does i personally think you should use 5w30 and not 5w20 although those engines are good i still would use 5w30

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
let us know how it does i personally think you should use 5w30 and not 5w20 although those engines are good i still would use 5w30

Pretty the 1ZZ engines were back-spec'd to use just about any oil under the sun, over the sun or in the sun.

Surprised about the quiet idle. I would not have guessed it. 1ZZ-FE is one noisy engine. I know, I had one. I used only 5W30 though.

The newer Toyota's 1.8L engine is very quiet. I thought it was due to hydraulic lifters and cam rollers. But maybe it's partially due to 0W20. Interesting.

Originally Posted By: friendly_jacek
Surprised about the quiet idle. I would not have guessed it. 1ZZ-FE is one noisy engine. I know, I had one. I used only 5W30 though.

The newer Toyota's 1.8L engine is very quiet. I thought it was due to hydraulic lifters and cam rollers. But maybe it's partially due to 0W20. Interesting.

I know what you mean. They are generally a pretty noisy engine. Timing chain makes it that way? I know mine has noisy vacuum switching valves which is normal on that engine.

Originally Posted By: tinmanSC

Pretty the 1ZZ engines were back-spec'd to use just about any oil under the sun, over the sun or in the sun.

A couple of times they came out with documentation on this. First one I came across was a TSB saying that 5w-20 was okay. Then I found a colored dot chart showing that 0w-20 was okay in this model and lots of other ones.

I still plan on using a 5w-30 in the summer months. This oil is my November to March selection.

How noisy is it when fully hot? Any Clattering when getting off the highway? I would not push the margine of safety if there was no benefit with the 0w20 on a high mileage engine.

Got 3 1Zz-FEs and 1 1ZZ-FED, noisy? Either your timing chain adjuster/tensioner is off or your VVTi-solenoid screen is dirty.

Mine are fairly quiet on 5w30, on their next OCI, they will all get 0w20

The Mazda 3 in the signature requires 5W20 ONLY and I do run that in the winter time. Though, while running 5W30 the rest of the year. The engine is smoother/quieter and MPG is the same. Yes, we have run 5W20 in the summer for comparison in MPG.

Originally Posted By: Eddie
+1 ARCO. I WOULD NOT BE RUNNING 0W20 IN A HIGH MILLEAGE ENGINE. Dang. Forgot caps lock on. Ed

Why? If the engine specs it what's the issue? 125K on my Accord and only sees 0w20. And 130k isn't that high of mileage.

Originally Posted By: 01_celica_gt
Got 3 1Zz-FEs and 1 1ZZ-FED, noisy? Either your timing chain adjuster/tensioner is off or your VVTi-solenoid screen is dirty.

Mine are fairly quiet on 5w30, on their next OCI, they will all get 0w20

When I say noisy, I mean in comparison to some other engines I have over the years. The noise in the engine I hear is just the nature of the 1ZZ-FE. It is not a bad noise or annoying, just less quiet than some other 4 cylinders I've been around.

I fixed a real mechanical noise issue with the notoriously faulty serpentine belt tensioner. Put a Gates one in and problem solved.

Bought a brand new Corolla in 08 and it was also not the quietest engine in a 4 cylinder I have experienced.

Hope that makes sense!

Last edited:
ARCO, you are really not going to like the lighter next gen oils they are probably working on. 0w-10 anyone? LOL

Last edited:
i would be careful using a 0w20 on a high mileage engine in the summer especially. The older Toyotas up to 2002 ran on anything but the newer ones are not so great.we had a 2007 and 3 2009 camrys here needing engines and all were under 90,000
They are not what they used to be

i would be careful using a 0w20 on a high mileage engine in the summer especially. The older Toyotas up to 2002 ran on anything but the newer ones are not so great.we had a 2007 and 3 2009 camrys here needing engines and all were under 90,000

New Camrys needing new engines? What was the issue?

Originally Posted By: Vibe_2007
ARCO, you are really not going to like the lighter next gen oils they are probably working on. 0w-10 anyone? LOL

The new SAE grading for all future super light oils will follow in increments of 4. The next new grade following 0w20 will be 0w16 and following that will be 0w12, 0w8, 0w4.

They will not be using 0w15 , 0w10, 0w5 as not to confuse it with the winter designations like 5w30, 10w30, 15w40.

I think you did the right thing taking advantage of the 0w20 oil which will crank easier in the winter. If you want to use an extreme high VI oil remember there is TGMO 0w20.

crackmeup2.gif
Lol you're quite the comedian.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Originally Posted By: Vibe_2007

The new SAE grading for all future super light oils will follow in increments of 4. The next new grade following 0w20 will be 0w16 and following that will be 0w12, 0w8, 0w4.

They will not be using 0w15 , 0w10, 0w5 as not to confuse it with the winter designations like 5w30, 10w30, 15w40.

I think you did the right thing taking advantage of the 0w20 oil which will crank easier in the winter. If you want to use an extreme high VI oil remember there is TGMO 0w20.

Thanks for the information. I had no idea they were going to designate it like that. Neat to know.

+1 on the TGMO. Also the MGMO is is a good choice, but spendy.

Originally Posted By: Eddie
+1 ARCO. I WOULD NOT BE RUNNING 0W20 IN A HIGH MILLEAGE ENGINE. Dang. Forgot caps lock on. Ed

Same here. I tried it a few years back in a back spec'd beater to use up some 5W20 I had, and I ended up switching back to 5W30. The better choice IMO was the 30 grade oil the engine was originally spec'd for, especially in something with with over 100K miles. Opinions vary.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back