Pushing Pennzoil Ultra 5w30 to 7k Hyundai Accent

Status
Not open for further replies.
I usually change PP/PU at 5k as my tires are rotated at that interval and doing so I provide filter and 3 qts of PU/PP for a oil change. Quicklane cant get me in before this next saturday. With the current fill of PU 5w30 is it safe to ride it 7k in a 2012 Hyundai Accent 1,6 GDi? I have taken measures to help with longevity such as dry flow filter with Injen Intake / drycharger and a filtermag. Highway driving is 95% and I only use non ethanol gas. Mileage per day is between 340 miles and 500 per day. I use gumout All in 1 once per 2 weeks and speed is between 65 and 90mph highway. Can PU handle a extra week? Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Most of the PU and PP VOAs show plenty of life left after ~6k miles in mixed driving. So in 95% highway driving, I'd wager the oil can handle it with ease.

What is the maximum OEM recommended OCI? 7.5K with Hyundai.

If this is the case Hyundai makes this recommendation using an SM/GF-5 lube.

Then PU at a 7K OCI is not being pushed at all.

I drive courier and pick up meds and bank bags. I kinda figured I was safe on OCI. I drove hard tonight with a full load at 100mph over Ten miles and still avg 40.2 mpg. Man I am loving it. Fill is 3 qts PU/PP mix and 90ml LM Mos2 and nothing more. Fuel is 87 pure gas.

Car started with 9k miles on QS syn blend October 2013 and now has 41109. Will flush and change ATF, Dot 4, and Coolant before 60k with timing belt. Throttle plate/body cleaned with CRC GDi cleaner at 10,000k.

340 to 500 miles per DAY!!

Highway miles like that are very easy on the oil. I would have no problem running 15k mile oil changes in this car. Maybe 20k mile changes. Are you currently changing the oil like once a week or two?

I dont know how a dry flow with injen intake will help with longevity..but PU will easily handle more hwy miles. Considering the speed you drive, Id save money on the gumout.

Originally Posted By: Marco620
I drive courier and pick up meds and bank bags. I kinda figured I was safe on OCI. I drove hard tonight with a full load at 100mph over Ten miles and still avg 40.2 mpg. Man I am loving it. Fill is 3 qts PU/PP mix and 90ml LM Mos2 and nothing more. Fuel is 87 pure gas.

That's great! You take really good care of that car (with a hi-speed fun run mixed in) and I personally appreciate that. As others said, 7k on that is no problem. Just make sure it doesn't get low on oil.
smile.gif

I think your fine at 7k. However, being gdi and only a 3qt sump that's about as far as I'd push it personally.

What filter are you running?

To save on maintance cost you could get a hand held fluid transfer pump and just pump the oil out through the dipstick tube and refill every other change. If going this route just make sure your filter is rated for 10k plus.

Gumout will only help clean intake valves if there is fuel flowing over them. I'd consider an intake service. Either the BG service or you could do the 3m kit yourself every ~30k right before your next oil change.

I don't quite look at 7000 miles on PU as being PUSHED!
smile.gif

7000 miles, I'd only be thinking about changing the oil but not necessarily change it yet expecially with the highway miles that will accumulate with this OCI.

Last edited:
I ran PU for a while in my FX4 up to 7.5K and all of the runs that I checked for TBN had 5.x as a reading so you should be fine running it up to 7K. However, I had a 7QT sump and since you only have a 3QT, be sure that you keep it topped off! I would be more concerned about the level dropping low as opposed to the TBN dropping.

I would go at least 10K on PP/PU with your type of driving....I'd probably do a couple of UOAs at around 10K to verify and then possibly go to 12K or 15K depending on the UOA results. (I'm usually not a UOA fan but they are useful in establishing an effective yet economical OCI).

I'd also use less of the gumout.....maybe once every 6 months or so....

Like FX42010 said, keep it topped off with that small sump. One more week will not hurt it as long as oil is at correct level.

I don't think I would go much over the mfg recommended 7.5k OCI without a oil analysis. I could see dilution being an issue with such a small sump. I doubt it would be a problem with highway mileage, but just in case.

I agree with the synthetic filter and dipstick hole oil changes sounding like a plan.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back