Pushing Pennzoil Ultra 5w30 to 7k Hyundai Accent

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: pbm
I would go at least 10K on PP/PU with your type of driving....I'd probably do a couple of UOAs at around 10K to verify and then possibly go to 12K or 15K depending on the UOA results. (I'm usually not a UOA fan but they are useful in establishing an effective yet economical OCI).

I'd also use less of the gumout.....maybe once every 6 months or so....

On second thought..maybe I'd limit it to 10K due to the small sump size.
A UOA will tell you a lot.

I still don't think you're 'pushing' PP/PU by going 'only' 7K (especially all highway miles).

Any oil filter is good enough for a 7.5k run. OE filter is cheap and effective.

Any full synth should easily last 7.5k when considering your monthly oil change interval.

I don't see the need for any oil additives.

Check oil level regularly as a 3 quart sump leaves no cushion for oil consumption.

Use a fuel additive once a month and vary brands.

RPM at 100mph? auto or manual trans?

Delivery driving and high speed driving might fall under severe service and might require 3750 OCI. I wouldn't worry about it much with a full synth and topped of dipstick.

Ideally, yes, but if it turns out that PU is being stretched to its limit on these driving habits at 7,000 miles, it's time to find an alternative.
wink.gif
If M1 EP will warrant over double that, PU should be able to handle 7,000 in a snap. Pennzoil keeps missing the long drain aspect here.

PU will easily do 7000 miles. I thought your Accent takes 3.5 qts with filter change? If that is the case I'd just put in 4 qts and call it a day. That extra 1/2 qt may just be good for the GDi.

Originally Posted By: Marco620
I drive courier and pick up meds and bank bags. I kinda figured I was safe on OCI. I drove hard tonight with a full load at 100mph over Ten miles and still avg 40.2 mpg. Man I am loving it. Fill is 3 qts PU/PP mix and 90ml LM Mos2 and nothing more. Fuel is 87 pure gas.
Originally Posted By: Dallas69
How many other cars did you run off the road while you were going 100mph ?
Not smart at all

I believe you Re: the wrong member!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Dallas69
How many other cars did you run off the road while you were going 100mph ?
Not smart at all

The OP says he's from Rural Kansas. I'd imagine there are plenty of roads there where it's straight, flat, and not a car in sight. 100 could be fine under those conditions and most likely would endanger nobody.

And wouldn't be noticeable in some places out there. The speed limit is 75 on KS freeways and 65 on even the 2 lane rural roads. A burst of 100 mph out on a freeway might not even garner a second glance, depending on where and when it happened. I drive thru KS frequently and a lot of folks are running 80-85 out on some of the rural interstate roads and the toll road.

Car started with 9k miles on QS syn blend October 2013 and now has 41109. Will flush and change ATF, Dot 4, and Coolant before 60k with timing belt. Throttle plate/body cleaned with CRC GDi cleaner at 10,000k.

I'm pretty sure the 1.6L engine has a timing chain. $$$ saved!

Yeah my 90-100mph runs are at a very late time at night with low low traffic. I broke down today and swapped filter for a Fram Ultra and will run it for rest of week before the Saturday swap. .5 qts of PU 10w30 added as I still had half a bottle and with this week pushing 100 degrees plus it should be good. Got passed tonight doing high 80's by what looked like a Jaguar/Aston Martin. I love when uber high income citizens bring their exotics out to play/drive I-70. I felt pretty good seeing others high tailing it on a boring stretch of highway.

I drive I-70 Denver to Kansas City in both directions at least once a month for the past 2 years, and have been doing it couple times a year for 17 years now.

100 mph is nothing, but with 80mph being the norm out on that stretch 20mph more just isn't that big of a deal, but you don't see many folks doing it. At 80mph you are still passing folks regularly who are happy with 70mph.

It is empty enough that you can run 100mph and not even pass folks very often, there just isn't much traffic density west of Salinas or Hays.

True story from early cell phone days...was running 105mph east out of Denver International in a rental car...back in the 65 mph days. Someone was irritated and called the Colorado boys in blue on me. At those speeds, and based on where their cars were, they couldn't get anyone in front of me to stop me before I hit Kansas. So they called Kansas police, gave them all the details, and let them worry about it....said Kansas folks who then informed me of all these exercises...except by then the it was closer to dark, and I don't speed in the dark, so I was only doing 3mph over when the Kansas boys caught me near Colby. Pulled me over, gave me a warning, explained that they were aware of my efforts at land speed records in Colorado, and would I please not do the same in their state.

I've been warned maybe 3 or 4 times by the staties in Kansas, they have been fair and reasonable every time. Of course, I haven't been carrying dope through their state, or ever caught above the ton either, they might not seem so reasonable in circumstances other than a little 5mph over the limit.

Originally Posted By: jrustles
Mileage per day is between 340 miles and 500 per day.

yeah, you're fine

shocked2.gif

Originally Posted By: wemay
Originally Posted By: jrustles
Mileage per day is between 340 miles and 500 per day.

yeah, you're fine

shocked2.gif

I know, that's an entire day on the road!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back