Push off Windows 7 by MSFT

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pffft. Microsoft can STICK their "Windows 10" where the sun don't shine.

I'll sooner use Linux than upgrade to Windows 10 on my PCs, or go beyond Snow Leopard on my Mac.
Windows 2000 & 7 get fairly equal air-time across my different machines.

Windows 10 would be excellent if Miscrosoft would leave users the heck alone.

Stop making pop-ups about me not using your browser. Stop forcing updates on people and then REMOVING user made taskbar settings AND PLACING YOUR OWN AMAZON SHORTCUTS AND MICROSOFT EDGE SHORTCUTS.

STOP HARASSING ME ABOUT CORTANA

STOP CHANGING MY DEFAULT BROWSER TO EDGE

All I want for you is to, SHUT UP and LEAVE ME ALONE.

I also liked W2K, it was a humane incarnation of NT, then they forced XP bloat upon us - you couldn't avoid it, since it supported multi-core/threaded designs. W7 is like W2K in this regard as well: they will come up with support of some new features on W10 only eventually

Per the article, 20% of computers are running Win 10 and 50% are still running Win 7. If Microsoft wants more people to upgrade to Win 10, then they better make it a free upgrade again.

I like Win 7 a lot ... would probably keep it forever if it wasn't going away someday.

Big companies are usually at least one or even two versions behind. At my work it was a monumental ordeal to upgrade to Win 7 because there was all kinds of special software written in-house that had to be verified it all worked on the new 64 bit operating system. It cost the company a ton of money to switch operating systems.

sleep.gif

This is one reason I gave up Windows O/S last year,tired of the [censored] they are pulling on people.

I'm using Linux 18 now with no regrets,good luck you Windows users.

smile.gif

We just moved off XP in 2013 with massive amounts of users. I don't see this happening till last year although mac is popular recently and Linux is supported in house. I work amongst 453000 employees.....

Cortana can be easily removed if you have Windows 10 Pro, but it's a little harder if you have Windows 10 Home.
http://www.pcworld.com/article/3109900/s...its-tricky.html

There are things you can do with Windows 10 to make it like Windows 7: http://www.classicshell.net

I've played/used many Linux distros over the years plusBSD, Solaris and even used OS/2 Warp a long, long time ago and Windows and MacOs.
I'm a OSX and Windows user now. I wish OS/2 Warp evolved.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: DemoFly

Stop making pop-ups about me not using your browser. Stop forcing updates on people and then REMOVING user made taskbar settings AND PLACING YOUR OWN AMAZON SHORTCUTS AND MICROSOFT EDGE SHORTCUTS.

Cortana never bothers me at all. I use IE 11 ONLY for work, and never use Edge at all though MS occasionally begs me to. I've never had my default browser changed. I don't use any customized settings. MS did stop insisting that I link a credit card to my MS account (knock on wood). All things considered, I rather like 10.

"Not bad;" really the only goal MS ever shoots for, and apparently seldom accomplishes.

Where I work (9000+ PCs); we are running W7 and have just started an effort to build a W10 image.

Thankfully I am not involved in any aspect of desktop support.

Last edited:
Quote:
I wish OS/2 Warp evolved.

Me too! I ran OS/2 2.1 on a 4 line BBS and only shut it down when the internet became available. I still have a fresh copy of Warp 3 server in a box on the shelf.

I'm surprised 50% of users were smart enough to stop their machines from auto-upgrading to Win10.
GWX was nasty.

I have authentic 'free' Windows 10 - right from the beginning and never had that problem. There are settings on your Win-10 computer that you can disable and keep disabled.

I love Windows 10. Firefox's Private Windows and No Tracking are terrific too.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: GrtArtiste

Cortana never bothers me at all. I use IE 11 ONLY for work, and never use Edge at all though MS occasionally begs me to. I've never had my default browser changed. I don't use any customized settings. MS did stop insisting that I link a credit card to my MS account (knock on wood). All things considered, I rather like 10.

I use 10 on 3 different platforms, and on my main, heavily used laptop, I run Firefox. No nags, no changes, nothing. I get an occasional sidebar screen saying updates were installed, or a reboot was done. BUT, I loaded each unit, and turned off Cortana, cloud and data to MS at install. 10 is nice, like 7 with a turbo. I like Linux as well, having experimented with almost every version out there. Mint is great for most folks, Peppermint is stripped down and you build it up to do what you want, I even played with and ran CentOS for about a month. FreeBSD is powerful as well, and very secure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back