Purposely over-filled my friend's car

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, although I am anal-retentive about a perfect top-off level in my cars, I purposely over-filled my friend's '99 Cavalier. Engine and tranny run fine, but the body (abd bearings/strut/misc.) would never pass certification.

Ended up dumping an entire jug (4.4L) of Castrol HM 5w-30. Car calls for 4.3L and was over-due by about 2K miles. But man, based on the dipstick, you'd think it was alot less (the quantity, I mean)! We also kept his old purolator filter for another go-round, changing one of those suckers out on a J-body is NOT fun!

He barely burns oil, but we're already pretty sure it won't make it through another winter.

.1 of a liter is nothing... You must be anal!
grin2.gif

Is the car rusted out? Is that why it won't make it???

Yea, as I mentioned in the other thread, some key spots of the unibody are badly rusted.

The thing is that it didn't look like .1L, it looked like an extra quart on the dipstick. I know the spec is also right, because they shrunk the sump from 2000-2002 to a simplified 4L. Yep, 4 quarts, no measuring needed! But his '99 should take 4.3L, that's what I filled it with last time I did the OCI.

I wouldn't worry about the oil level. You can generally overfill by up to 1quart and still be protected against aeration. I wouldn't try this though, but being a little over the "Full" line won't hurt anything.

I read about the rust in the other thread, but didn't connected the story to you...
grin2.gif
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: StevieC
I wouldn't worry about the oil level. You can generally overfill by up to 1quart and still be protected against aeration. I wouldn't try this though, but being a little over the "Full" line won't hurt anything.

I read about the rust in the other thread, but didn't connected the story to you...
grin2.gif
thumbsup2.gif

The Priuschat guys have noticed that a slight overfill on their cars resulted in a noticeable reduction in fuel economy.

Originally Posted By: firemachine69
Yea, as I mentioned in the other thread, some key spots of the unibody are badly rusted.

The thing is that it didn't look like .1L, it looked like an extra quart on the dipstick. I know the spec is also right, because they shrunk the sump from 2000-2002 to a simplified 4L. Yep, 4 quarts, no measuring needed! But his '99 should take 4.3L, that's what I filled it with last time I did the OCI.

Uh, it looks like more than .1L because it is...you didn't change the oil filter, thus another .25L or more depending on the size of filter used has to be accounted for. Still, you are OK IMO.

I find it easier to change the filter on a 2.2L OHV automagic J-body from the top side hanging over the right fender, going between PS pump and intake, or right side wheel well with the wheel cranked to full left.

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted By: The Critic

grin2.gif
thumbsup2.gif

The Priuschat guys have noticed that a slight overfill on their cars resulted in a noticeable reduction in fuel economy.

But it does no harm to the engine...
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: Onmo'Eegusee
I find it easier to change the filter on a 2.2L OHV automagic J-body from the top side hanging over the right fender, going between PS pump and intake, or right side wheel well with the wheel cranked to full left.

I agree, you need to make sure the motor is somewhat cool. It is very simple to burn your hands doing it this way.

I hope the last dummy put the filter on hand tight, because anything else makes it much harder to work on.

grin2.gif
thumbsup2.gif

But it does no harm to the engine...
thumbsup2.gif

Right, but why would you want to overfill?

Also, a number of OEMs have said that overfilling the crankcase may harm the emission control system.

[

Also, a number of OEMs have said that overfilling the crankcase may harm the emission control system.

This is very true. It can destroy the cat, O2 sensors and other related components. Not to mention it will speed up the carbon build up in the intake areas as well.

The emissions system is shot, so no worries there. The muffler is barely hanging on.
LOL.gif

And I completely forgot about the oil filter, feel kind of stupid now.
grin2.gif

I often put a 4.4-litre jug of oil into my '02 Cavalier, instead of having 0.4 litres hanging around. It consumes about 1 liter over the OCI, so its half-way down at change time. Perfect!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back