Purolators STILL TEAR! PL14610 w/ 6100 miles TORN!

2008 Civic R18, currently at 108k Date code F04F23E2 OCI was determined by Honda's MM I guess Purolator still hasn't fixed the tearing media frown Worth noting that the PL14610 made in February 2014 used in a previous OCI in the same car did not tear. Oil used was Havoline Synthetic 5w20 Oil level was a half quart low at the end of the run. No makeup oil was added during the OCI. New oil is Maxlife synblend 5w20 (yay Walmart $4 coupon!), and a PSL14610 synthetic filter (the Purolator Synthetic doesn't suffer from the torn media problem) I poked a hole near the base with a screwdriver, then used needle nose pliers to cut around the can. I was going to buy the Harbor Freight exhaust cutter #69327, but I couldn't find it in the store. Where do they keep them? (what aisle/department)

they need to step it up, I don't buy any purolator anymore, and when I first started to do my own oil changes it was the white can from walmart and supertech full synthetic!

tommygunn

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
can you post a picture of the harbor freight exhaust cutter you use?
reread it again tongue2 I said I couldn't find the HF exhaust cutter! I want to know where in the store they keep them!

ZeeOSix

$100 site donor 2022
I'd say anything made before about July 2014 would still be the old problematic filters - IF they did do a change, I doubt it would have been before about that time.

I'm not going to go back to Purolator even if they say they have fixed the issues. It has been going on to long. I'll stay with Wix.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
I'd say anything made before about July 2014 would still be the old problematic filters - IF they did do a change, I doubt it would have been before about that time.
where did you find that date as a reference?

ZeeOSix

$100 site donor 2022
Originally Posted By: 01_celica_gt
Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
where did you find that date as a reference?
Just my opinion since around Feb-Mar of 2014 I believe is when all the reported tearing reports broke out, and Purolator did kind of acknowledge that they were aware of it and looking into the issue - reading between the lines of course since they were very nebulous about the whole situation. Just saying a filter change wouldn't have occurred over night if Purolator did choose to change something in the design to prevent tearing, so my guess would be the earliest would be filters being made this summer.

This has been going on far too long. I will not be buying any purolator products until this issue has been proven time and time again to be rectified.

I bought two Motorcrafts today, won't touch a Puro branded filter though. They never worked that well for me anyway on the Jeep, the other cars didn't seem to mind them.