Purolator's Lack of Communication. Contacts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are we allowed to collectively post publicly in one thread a list of internal Purolator contacts that we have been dealing with, the email communications going back and forth, and whatever information we have? I am hoping that together we can pressure Purolator a bit more with with regards to their filter tearing issues and bring about everyone's experience publicly all in one thread. That way there can be no excuse that these tears are a one off incident and that they have "mistakenly" forgotten to reply back to us.

It is absolutely unacceptable that Purolator has been ignoring all our emails and not properly addressing such a critical flaw. I accept that manufacturing defects may happen, but ignoring your customers is not the way to mitigate them. Even Fram with their questionable cardboard endcap design, atleast addresses the community with an expert who answers concerns in a professional and logical manner.

Let's put some pressure on these guys together.

Ill start by posting my experiences below. If the posting of this information is unacceptable, mods please feel free to close the thread.

Contacts:
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]

XXXX
Jul 20

to James.Murray, Barbara.Foy, Belinda.Barber, Roderick.Mack
James/Barbara/Belinda/Roderick

It has been close to a month since sending the defective product back. I have requested multiple times for a refund but have been met with silence. Can you please address my concern with this product?

Thank you.

XXXX
Jun 27

to James.Murray, Barbara.Foy, Belinda.Barber, Roderick.Mack
James,

I have received the box and will be shipping back the defective filters for your inspection.

In the meantime, can I please request a refund for the batch (quantity 9) of these filters that were purchased? Receipt is attached. I have also attached pictures of the internals of these filters which show the filter media being defective.

Thank you.

Sent: June-24-14 5:40 AM
To: [email protected]
Cc: [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]
Subject: RE: Purolator Classic L20195 Filter Failure

Hello,

We apologize for any inconvenience this issue may have caused you. I would like to send you a retrieval kit to return the filter for analysis. Please provide your physical mailing address. The retrieval kit contains a box, plastic bags, a claim form, an instruction letter, and a next day air return shipping label. I will forward your email to our Quality Control department to have our inventory audited.

Best Regards,

James Murray
Associate Catalog Manager | MANN+HUMMEL Purolator Filters LLC
155 Franklin Rd Ste 153| Brentwood, TN 37027
Phone: 615-377-1505 | Fax: 615-377-1520
[email protected] www.pureoil.com
KEEP IT PURE

Sent: Monday, June 23, 2014 10:02 PM
To: Murray, James
Subject: Purolator Classic L20195 Filter Failure

Hello,

I took apart two Purolator Classic L20195 filters that were used on a 2007 Ford Ranger and 2006 Ford Ranger running 5W20 oil and 10,000km service intervals (as per factory recommendation) and noticed the pleats were torn near the seam on BOTH filters (one more so than the other). Upon further research it seems this has been a common problem:
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3360952/1

Can I please request a refund? I also have 9 other Purolator oil filters which I bought separately last year from Walmart. I would also like to request a refund

FAIL_zpsad920532.jpg

Originally Posted By: Chris142
I think you need to return them to the store if you expect a refund.

Walmart wont take them back as it's past the return period. A refund would be nice, but at this point my main concern is their lack of communication to people who have contacted them about this widespread issue. No acknowledgement of the problem, no offer for a refund, no explanation whatsoever. As others have also noted, they are quick to respond to the initial email, but any subsequent follow ups are met with silence. Not just a coincidence.

Originally Posted By: nobb

It is absolutely unacceptable that Purolator has been ignoring all our emails and not properly addressing such a critical flaw. I accept that manufacturing defects may happen, but ignoring your customers is not the way to mitigate them. Even Fram with their questionable cardboard endcap design, atleast addresses the community with an expert who answers concerns in a professional and logical manner.

I agree, but to a degree I also understand. As a consumer I'm very disappointed that Purolator hasn't done something to address the matter, especially when they previously had such excellent customer service. However, I also understand the legal implications of publicly acknowledging the issue without recalling all their filters. If they publicly acknowledge that there is an issue with their filters, every greedy bottom-feeding schmuck who used a Purolator filter will sue them for any issue related to their vehicle.

This is different to Fram explaining the cardboard end caps, which nobody had an issue with them tearing or leaking. People just felt that for the same price or very slightly more, you could get a filter with better filtering efficiency and metal end caps. I don't believe anyone felt a Fram orange can would actively harm their engine, just that they weren't as good a value as other filters that were in the same price range.

I have faith that Purolator is actively working to address the issue on their end. Historically their customer service has been excellent, and they've often gone above and beyond what would be expected from an oil filter manufacturer. But sadly I don't have faith that the issue wont affect the filter I purchase if I went and bout a new Purolator filter today. Because of that, on my next oil change I'll be using a non-PureOne filter on my vehicle for the first time.

Purolator has historically been an excellent company to their customers, and I understand why for legal reasons they have to tread very lightly in publicly acknowledging the issue. But as consumer, I wish I could get something, anything, just to acknowledge the issue is known on their end and being addressed.

^^ I would agree with that. At least I hope this is the case. I picture a company that has had their defective product brought to their attention and they're addressing it internally. Again, hopefully researching the problem and correcting it. You returned nine filters and you want a refund. They are a reputeable company so I believe they will resolve your complaint. Maybe they'll refund you and send you some of the new and improved filters
cheers3.gif

One of the worst product debacles in history was with the top level Kryptonite U-Locks. It was discovered and posted on the internet their strong U-locks being opened with a BIC pen. Kryptonite admitted the issue and you could return your lock to most bike shops for a free updated one. Purolater does not seem to care. I ran a number of Classics that had known tears and am furious with the company at the moment. Those responses you guys have received are generic "toe the company line" responses. IMO, at this moment no changes are coming.

I guess I will never understand you guys. Why on God's green earth would any of you ever expect to receive a refund from Purolator, or for that matter, any other manufacturer? This will NOT EVER HAPPEN, period!

"I accept that manufacturing defects may happen..." No you don't! "Let's put some pressure on these guys together." So they will issue a public apology in the Wall Street Journal addressed specifically to you? Post pictures of their faces red from embarrassment? Call you on your home phone and plead for your patronage? Really?

You need to get over it and move on, unless of coarse this is all there is to your life. If you are unhappy with the product don't buy it. They are NOT accountable to you other than to send you a box and a plastic bag. That has to satisfy you because that's all you're going to get.

Originally Posted By: nobb
Originally Posted By: Chris142
I think you need to return them to the store if you expect a refund.

Walmart wont take them back as it's past the return period. A refund would be nice, but at this point my main concern is their lack of communication to people who have contacted them about this widespread issue. No acknowledgement of the problem, no offer for a refund, no explanation whatsoever. As others have also noted, they are quick to respond to the initial email, but any subsequent follow ups are met with silence. Not just a coincidence.

Walmart accepts returns without a receipt. Just say you bought the wrong kind and no longer have a receipt.. They will give you in store credit. Simple as that.

More important things in life to worry about than a tear in an oil filter that hasnt caused any problems imho ...as a consumer use/get something different and hurt them in there pocket...let the company figure it out on there own.

Originally Posted By: dave180
...You need to get over it and move on, unless of coarse this is all there is to your life. If you are unhappy with the product don't buy it....

Thank you Dave. A common sense post. Sounds familiar, and really just that simple. Don't like it, don't buy it and move on. Unless of course... as you say.

Are there more important things to worry about in life? Absolutely. My intent for the premise of this thread is the lack of information addressing this defect, not necessarily my request for a refund. Any half decent company should not have problems issuing a refund on a few $5 products.

Im not going to spend tons of time on this issue, but myself and many others actually care about our cars and the products that go into them. Why bother arguing on the internet over the minute differences in oil, when in reality there is hardly a practical difference between an oil as long as it meets manufacturer specs? You can live your life doing a half arsed job at things and not giving a [censored], but there are also those of us that actually care enough about doing a good job of things.

This is Corporate America for you. They won't care about the customer until they see sales drop. Since BITOG makes up a small percentage of their sales, you probably won't see anyone caring for a long time.

I'll get some pitch forks and a few torches.

I'm going to use some torn filter media and some kerosene for the torches.

But we probably shouldn't wear our FRAM ULTRA t-shirts when we picket Purolator's corporate headquarters.

^^^ Oil drenched, torn media should burn well and put out lots of smoke!
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: dave180
I guess I will never understand you guys. Why on God's green earth would any of you ever expect to receive a refund from Purolator, or for that matter, any other manufacturer? This will NOT EVER HAPPEN, period!

Fram reimbursed me for a paper air filter that I had fit issues with, found in the thread below. http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...amp;Main=142508

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back