Purolator use decreasing here?

Status
Not open for further replies.
With the exception of Purolator made MC and Mopar filters, does it seem like less people are using Purolators here on BITOG? Of the first few pages in the oil filter sub forum, I've seen only a few dissected. The most recent L14610 being extremely exceptional.

If more recently made filters were posted here flaw free, I would be more inclined to give them a try in the other vehicles I maintain. Maybe others can chime in, but I have noticed retailers here have older stock of the filters I would need. Slow moving models I am sure, but if others are holding back with the same reasons as me, seeing a positive change in results might take longer than we'd like.

I have used and would not hesitate to use another Purolator classic filter but the local Walmart no longer stocks them.

Last edited:
I have a stockpile of Wix Purchased from another user on here. Used to be a Dedicated P1 user, now I stick to Wix, Motorcraft, or Fram Ultra

No soon to be rock catchers for me.Wix is now in my stash.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: skyactiv
I think less bitog members use Purolator oil filters and the Fram TG is now considered acceptable.

I use both. Fram TGs are a nice filter, and I use them regularly. I have a Purolator-made Motorcraft filter on the Fusion right now, and a Purolator Synthetic filter waiting to go on the Miata next season.

Perhaps, but I wouldn't solely blame the tearing issue. With WM Canada having returned to Fram, I cannot get a Bosch Premium or any of the Purolator branded line outside of mail order.

Originally Posted By: WobblyElvis
I have used and would not hesitate to use another Purolator classic filter but the local Walmart no longer stocks them.

+1.
I was always uneasy about the pureone being restrictive, though.
Another thing is my newer cars have canisters and I'm using OEM filters for those.

While I like WIX filters, they are $6.99 at my local Oreilly. Napa Golds are slightly over $7 IIRC. The P1 at AAP is about that price as well.. I suppose I could get one cheaper with online codes, but so much for picking a filter with a younger date. Who's to say they would even have one.

With the WM's in Canada only having Fram, I am slightly confused WM doesn't carry P1s here in the US. They have ever oil under the sun, but if you want an efficient filter its either a Fram or a $$$ D+. No variety, but I reckon its all about contracts.

* I should also mention if the Classic behaved just like the Mopar filters on my Jeep, I would solely run those. Who knows though since they have a different bypass. Mopars seem to be the only thing that shuts my Jeep up, but man they are $$$.. even more than a TG, which work almost as good for me. I have yet to try the FL400s, but I am hoping they will serve as a cheaper alternative.

Last edited:
i have no problem using Purolator. I dont use type shelf oil or do extended OCI.

Back in the day when FRAM was getting a bad rep, "orange can of death" and etc, people still used them, if it was a huge issue there would of been articles and postings about it all over the web and not just here.

A high end filter WILL/SHOULD many people but it doesn't help me when i do oil changes every 3750-5000miles. I'm all about lowest cost.

I'm too cheap to not use my stash of Purolators but too bothered about poor quality control to buy them again.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
While I like WIX filters, they are $6.99 at my local Oreilly. Napa Golds are slightly over $7 IIRC. The P1 at AAP is about that price as well.. I suppose I could get one cheaper with online codes, but so much for picking a filter with a younger date. Who's to say they would even have one.

With the WM's in Canada only having Fram, I am slightly confused WM doesn't carry P1s here in the US. They have ever oil under the sun, but if you want an efficient filter its either a Fram or a $$$ D+. No variety, but I reckon its all about contracts.

* I should also mention if the Classic behaved just like the Mopar filters on my Jeep, I would solely run those. Who knows though since they have a different bypass. Mopars seem to be the only thing that shuts my Jeep up, but man they are $$$.. even more than a TG, which work almost as good for me. I have yet to try the FL400s, but I am hoping they will serve as a cheaper alternative.

Try a Napa Silver 31085. Both me and KCJeep have noticed they are pretty quiet on the Jeep 4.0. Quietest on start up for me so far compared to the Mopar MO-090 and Motorcraft FL-400s.

I'm still using the Purolator synthetics. Seem to be working well so far. Wondering what the next flavor will be...

I'm still using the Purolators. Since the posts on defective Purolators started, I've been cutting open the ones I've been using. Never did find any problem with them.

Yes, Puro use has decreased. I have only used one, this was before the issue started occurring. I wont be using one any time soon either. Fram Ultras for me.

I stopped using them and lately some of the motorcrafts look a little wonky.. They did it to themselves everyone seems to know its not like 30 years ago today word travels very fast.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back