Purolator use decreasing here?

Status
Not open for further replies.
CORRECTION! My statement above is incorrect.

In this case my oil life monitor was negative 28. The is past what GM recommends for an OCI. Still I have run this far or more in the past and not had a filter fail. The Oil life monitor will allow me to go up to 15,000 miles at times.

Originally Posted By: Dallas69
You ran this twice as long as I would and 3 times as long as Pur says to A filter wont last forever

Purolator doesn't say to run their filters for 3K miles, but to the vehicle manufacturer's recommended change interval ... which these days can be way past 3K miles.

Tearing Purolators are not caused by running over 3K miles ... if it was, we would have seem torn Purolators ever since the day this site was created over 10 years ago.

Here are pics of the Purolator cartridge filter from my 2.2 ecotec. 9,900 miles. Shinning a light from inside I count 8 holes, there are probably many more.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
You ran this twice as long as I would and 3 times as long as Pur says to A filter wont last forever

Purolator doesn't say to run their filters for 3K miles, but to the vehicle manufacturer's recommended change interval ... which these days can be way past 3K miles.

Tearing Purolators are not caused by running over 3K miles ... if it was, we would have seem torn Purolators ever since the day this site was created over 10 years ago.

So now you're the Purolator factory rep too?

Purolator says 3,000 miles on the box.

I would say 10,000 miles on a 3,000 mile filter is neglect.

Running 10,000 mile OCI's, I'd be using premium synthetic oil like M1EP and a premium synthetic media oil filter.

Originally Posted By: SilverC6

Purolator says 3,000 miles on the box.

I would say 10,000 miles on a 3,000 mile filter is neglect.

Running 10,000 mile OCI's, I'd be using premium synthetic oil like M1EP and a premium oil filter.

http://www.purolatorautofilters.net/products/oil_filters/Pages/purolatoroilfilters.aspx

PurolatorOilChart.jpg

The "classic" is recommended for the factory OCI, up to 15K according to their own material. Extended drains they recommend the PureONE.

Then let's try this one:

http://www.purolatorautofilters.net/resources/Pages/FAQs.aspx

Originally Posted By: Purolator

Q: How often should I change my oil filter?
A: The mileage at which to change oil and filters really depends on factors like the driving habits, mileage on the vehicle, and the manufacturer’s recommendation for changing your engine oil and filters. Purolator recommends you change your oil and oil filter every 3,000 miles or as specified by your vehicle’s manufacturer.

So essentially, if you have no OEM guideline, go 3K. Otherwise, follow the OEM's recommendations.

Do you think an extended drain is longer than 15,000 miles?

Depends on the application. For may "extended drain" European applications, yes, you are going beyond 15,000 miles.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Then let's try this one:

A: The mileage at which to change oil and filters really depends on factors like the driving habits, mileage on the vehicle, and the manufacturer’s recommendation for changing your engine oil and filters. Purolator recommends you change your oil and oil filter every 3,000 miles or as specified by your vehicle’s manufacturer.

So essentially, if you have no OEM guideline, go 3K. Otherwise, follow the OEM's recommendations.

So if your car is okay for dino oil, are you running it 15,000 miles too.

Or is your common sense kicking in yet.

Also, from the Purolator warranty:

http://www.purolatorautofilters.net/document/Documents/PuroLimitedWarranty.pdf

Quote:
Purolator warrants its automotive filters to be free from defects in material and workmanship. Purolator automotive filters are manufactured to high quality standards and guaranteed to meet fit, form and function in accordance with Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) and International Organization for Standardization (ISO) test procedures.

This limited warranty is effective for the number of miles and driving severity published in the owner's vehicle manual as the recommended service interval for filter replacements (“Warranty Period”). Purolator will replace, free of charge, any Filter which, under normal conditions of use, is proven to be defective in material or workmanship and is within the Warranty Period. If Purolator further determines, in its sole discretion, that the alleged defective Filter caused engine damage during the Warranty Period, Purolator will also repair or replace any damaged engine parts.

Then let's try this one:

So if your car is okay for dino oil, are you running it 15,000 miles too.

Or is your common sense kicking in here.

Are you intentionally being dense? You run the manufacturer recommended interval using an approved lubricant. With extended drains these applications usually call for a synthetic product. I'm not sure why this seems so hard to grasp
21.gif

Great.

I can save a lot of money that I've been spending on premium oil filters and top notch synthetic motor oils.

I'm so glad my eyes have been opened by this thread.

No oil filter should fail at 6 months/10,000 miles. This interval is nothing out of the ordinary and normal engineering practice is to design to meet twice the expected load. Barring a faulty bypass valve I would have to say this filter is a failure.

Originally Posted By: WobblyElvis
No oil filter should fail at 6 months/10,000 miles. This interval is nothing out of the ordinary and normal engineering practice is to design to meet twice the expected load. Barring a faulty bypass valve I would have to say this filter is a failure.

I agree.

I'd send it back to Purolator for a refund and buy a better filter next time.

Also, I'd run only M1EP in the future if you plan on listening to your GM OLM.

Are you running dino oil currently?

I usually use a mix of synthetic and dino. Nothing special, whatever is cheap. I have posted a few UOA's here...

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3495219/Re:_06_GM_2.2_12,600_mi_Mixed_#Post3495219

Last edited:
Quote:
Purolator warrants its automotive filters to be free from defects in material and workmanship.

Lol!

The classic is just an entry level filter and you cant expect it to go 15k
Believe this or not but I am correct

The classic is just an entry level filter and you cant expect it to go 15k
Believe this or not but I am correct

It is required to last the factory OCI (and is warranted to last the factory OCI), whatever that is, even if it is 15K+.

That said, most vehicles that run those kinds of OCI's are European and buying a Purolator/FRAM/WIX will often net you discovering a MANN or HENGST (though the former now owns Purolator so...?) in the box anyway.

Also, it seems to be a trend that vehicles running those OCI's have a cartridge filter. The BMW ones for example, while not appearing to be anything other than cellulose (though they could have some synthetic fibres but that is an unknown) are quite large in size, which aides in allowing them to last that long. Of course the spec'd lubricant is also designed for that interval too and they are fitted with large sumps.

Your regular small sumped car isn't going to spec a 15k+ change interval but most of them don't call for a premium long-drain synthetic lubricant either. And by and large these will be the cars that the Classic is being used on.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
Quote:
Purolator warrants its automotive filters to be free from defects in material and workmanship.

Lol!

Based on the tearing many have observed, I agree, that statement is a bit amusing
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
Quote:

Lol!

Based on the tearing many have observed, I agree, that statement is a bit amusing
wink.gif

Thank you!
laugh.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back