Purolator use decreasing here?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: dlundblad

* I should also mention if the Classic behaved just like the Mopar filters on my Jeep, I would solely run those. Who knows though since they have a different bypass. Mopars seem to be the only thing that shuts my Jeep up, but man they are $$$.. even more than a TG, which work almost as good for me. I have yet to try the FL400s, but I am hoping they will serve as a cheaper alternative.

Puro's in both Classic and P1 styles were some of the worst offenders for start up rattle on my Jeep, although I used them with success on other vehicles. I am betting you will like the FL-400s though! Great filter...

I have been on the Silvers for a while since they work as well or better than the FL-400s, cost even less and give me extra capacity which the FL-400s does not. But I would still run the Puro made FL-400s in a heart beat, the other Puro's I have stopped buying.

I rounded up the last four used oil filters from my wife's Cavalier and cut them open. There were two Classics and two orange Frams. There were 2 tears in one of the Classics, the other Classic looked fine. Both Frams looked good. All four filters had about 6000 miles, give or take. (6 month OCI)

So, the decision was easy for me. I really don't think using a filter for 6000 miles without tearing is asking too much. I hope Purolator realizes they have a problem and corrects it.

Until then, I'll be using Fram.

...With the WM's in Canada only having Fram, I am slightly confused WM doesn't carry P1s here in the US. They have ever oil under the sun, but if you want an efficient filter its either a Fram or a $$$ D+. No variety, but I reckon its all about contracts.

and Don't forget unless that D+ was made in Germany, it's Still a Purolator. a PureOne IIRC, but my memory could be faulty..

Originally Posted By: ChevyBadger
Liked Purolator, just not worth risking it.

Originally Posted By: chainblu
So, the decision was easy for me. I really don't think using a filter for 6000 miles without tearing is asking too much. I hope Purolator realizes they have a problem and corrects it.

I agree with both, and while running the risk of being accused of drinking the Wix/Fram koolaide - I am not using any Purolator (including Motorcraft) filters untill this issue gets resolved.
As mentioned in another post - I have a Fram Ultra on the Toyota, and Napa Gold on the Fords and Mercury.

I have used Purolator and Motorcraft filers for quite some time because I thought they were a quality filter at a decent price and made in the USA.

Originally Posted By: earlyre

...With the WM's in Canada only having Fram, I am slightly confused WM doesn't carry P1s here in the US. They have ever oil under the sun, but if you want an efficient filter its either a Fram or a $$$ D+. No variety, but I reckon its all about contracts.

and Don't forget unless that D+ was made in Germany, it's Still a Purolator. a PureOne IIRC, but my memory could be faulty..
D+ is stronger than a. P1, I've yet to hear of one tearing. The media isn't on the level of Puro Synthetic or the Ultra, but it is built like a tank.

With the WM's in Canada only having Fram, I am slightly confused WM doesn't carry P1s here in the US.

Many years ago, our WMs used to also carry AC filters. Now, that was an almost unbeatable price! But, times have changed, and WM Canada seems to want to have only one filter supplier at a time. They didn't keep Purolator/Bosch long enough for me to even buy one, really. I still had a filter stash, which included Bosch Premiums from my online supplier at the time.

Good point. There's no "D" for Distance Plus logged in front of the Bosch model numbers nor any "LL" for Long Life logged in front of the Bosch model numbers.

Originally Posted By: Nyogtha
The tracking spreadsheet here on BITOG has documented 6 Bosch brand failures.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?...p=sharing#gid=0

For now I've stocked up on Mobil 1 brand filters and Purolator Synthetic model filters with the wire backed media.

Those all have Bosch Premium part numbers, no "D" numbers. Although there are better filters available for less than the Distance Plus.

purolators dont seem to sell so great at the wm near my shop they are on the bottom shelf and their boxes are looking old and i noticed that when their quality was better.

I quit Purolator because I have mostly Ford products. When I buy a truck I buy a case of Motorcraft filters for it.

On my Duramax I use AC Delco filters.

I just examined the Purolator Classic oil filter removed from my 2.2 GM ecotec engine three days ago. 10,000 mile OCI. The media has several small holes in it. Two days ago I posted in this very thread that I was happy with Purolator filters but not any more. I know 10,000 miles is longer than most people use a filter for but it should not disintegrate like this. I will stay away from Purolator filters.

You ran this twice as long as I would and 3 times as long as Pur says to
A filter wont last forever

The oil life monitor on my car allows me to go this far. I am following the recommendations of the manufacturer. UOA says the oil and engine are fine. I will see if I can take some pictures.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back