Purolator synthetic filter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The local KMart is closing and they're "clearing it out". I took a walk through the store and headed over to the automotive section (of course) and bought a couple of Purolator synthetic filters (they were 50% off)that fit the 'ol minivan. I'm not particularly concerned which type of filter I use anymore but was pretty sure this filter is no longer made (this is the filter with the wire-backed media...like a Fram Ultra/Napa Platinum). It looks to be a good quality filter...does Purolator still make it (can't EVER remember seeing it in the stores)? I'm thinking I won't have to be concerned with "media tears" considering it's construction.

Purolator currently only makes the Classic and Pure One air filters.
What you spotted is known as new old stock.
KMart is famous for having items linger on the shelves for years.

Originally Posted By: skyactiv
Purolator currently only makes the Classic and Pure One air filters.
What you spotted is known as new old stock.
KMart is famous for having items linger on the shelves for years.

Huh? Purolator Synthetic filters have only been around since 2012 and are still being made. How can this be old stock?

It's still made and sold at selected Advance stores, and last I checked can be ordered at AAP stores if not stocked. For whatever reason, from their intro they were only stocked at selected AAPs.

As construction is synthetic media and different, tearing not been an issue. At 50% off seems like a good deal. At least something decent coming out of Kmart. If our local KM is any indication, how some of their stores have stayed open this long is beyond me.

Originally Posted By: sayjac
It's still made and sold at selected Advance stores, and last I checked can be ordered at AAP stores if not stocked. For whatever reason, from their intro they were only stocked at selected AAPs.

YOu can get them on the shelf at Pep Boys.

Originally Posted By: MinamiKotaro
...YOu can get them on the shelf at Pep Boys.

Good to know. Don't have a PB nearby so haven't been in one in awhile.

And OP knows they are still being made.

Originally Posted By: DuckRyder
http://www.purolatorautofilters.net/products/oil_filters/Pages/SyntheticOilFilters.aspx

They have always been hard to find, but can be ordered.

Every store I've been to that carries any Purolator at all has a good selection of PSL-series synthetic oil filters. The biggest chain that has piles of them on the shelf is Pep Boys. Even though I don't care much for a lot of what Pep Boys devotes floor space to (go-karts, Chonda generators/compressors and similar wastes of money) they have a great lubricant and filter section. All the purolators, all the Frams (including Ultra), Royal Purple, Bosch, M1, etc. The only shortcoming I've found is a relatively limited selection of cartridge filters.

The K Mart super center in a northwest Colorado city was a nice store for our city when it opened and I purchased most of my automobile supplies there. It wasn't long ,however, when regular shelf items would be out of stock for long periods of time, but seasonal items would be stacked sky high in every isle to where it was difficult to maneuver a shopping cart through all the junk.I finally said to *#@@ with it and started to shop at Checkers where the selection was much betters but the prices were higher. Buy the time we relocated, I hardly ever visited K Mart. Haven't been in a K Mart in years.Still purchase a few items from out local Sears outlet.

I ordered a bunch online with an AAP coupon code. I would never pay full price for this filter. Good deal at 50% off!!

It's a wire mesh backed single layer media. Use with confidence!

Originally Posted By: oilmaven
It looks to be a good quality filter...does Purolator still make it (can't EVER remember seeing it in the stores)?

Still made, really hasn't been out very long.

What's the date code stamped on the can?

KMart is the only retailer in my area that carries the Purolator Synthetic oil filters. They can be ordered at AAP in my area but they aren't a shelf stock item.

I picked up three of the PSL24651 models for $7 each at KMart when they were on sale last month.

While Walmart stocks the Purolator Classic oil filters, I have never seen Walmart stock the Purolator Synthetic oil filters.

Originally Posted By: oilmaven
The local KMart is closing and they're "clearing it out". I took a walk through the store and headed over to the automotive section (of course) and bought a couple of Purolator synthetic filters (they were 50% off)that fit the 'ol minivan. I'm not particularly concerned which type of filter I use anymore but was pretty sure this filter is no longer made (this is the filter with the wire-backed media...like a Fram Ultra/Napa Platinum). It looks to be a good quality filter...does Purolator still make it (can't EVER remember seeing it in the stores)? I'm thinking I won't have to be concerned with "media tears" considering it's construction.

So what was price if I may ask with 50% Off?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back