Purolator Red/Classic L14477, 968 mi 1 mo cut open

Status
Not open for further replies.
This one didn't do very well... the media was torn 3 out of the 4 corners closest to the seam. I can't tell if it tore completely through but it was definitely, at least, in the process of being torn worse. In the pictures, some of the things caught in the media were from my dirty drain pan and some PureOne paint flakes post-opening. The media itself was pretty straight throughout.

I replaced the Toyota filter with this one because I knew I was only going to use it for 1K miles. I bought this filter 8 months ago before I read about the Purolator QC issues because I didn't keep up to date on this info. I think I'm going to avoid them for the time being; I might try again when others have more positive experiences.

Filter was replaced by a Wix-made CQ Blue (gambled on RA's Ultra Power) and 4.5 qts Super Tech 5W20 FS.

zcxG0HO.jpg

PQ32UgD.jpg

hR6qMaB.jpg

KCqjUsp.jpg

7jIBsEc.jpg

BRGTGsW.jpg

iMwm7T8.jpg

If it doesn't tear, it's not a Purolator.
grin2.gif

How many RA Ultra Powers did you buy? I bought 7 of each 51394 and 57145s. I hope they're all CQ filters.

Last edited:
I bought 8 Ultra Power with CQ Blue model numbers about 7 months ago. I received 5 Wix-made, and 3 black Fram-made. 3 of the Wix and 1 Fram - I guess because they were older - had some rust on the top which I cleaned off. Two of those had rust on the center tube threads but it wasn't a big deal after I cleaned as best as I can.

You know, I sometimes wonder if some of these Purolator filters are ACTUALLY torn, or, members are tearing them to get their 5 minutes of fame here at BITOG. I mean, it's possible.........isn't it?
confused2.gif

AX4N/4f50N. Not a lot of high-mileage Fords with those transaxles...

Disassembly and reassembly are surprisingly straight-forward. A bit confusing to figure out which o-rings/seals go where since the transkit didn't label any of them in separate bags. I don't have a press to change the piston seals though. If the rebuild doesn't work, I'll just scrap the van - 03 Windstar. It's a learning experience for fun so it's not crucial that I succeed.

Certainly possible: new poster, low post count, etc.

To be honest though, 5-min forum fame doesn't mean much to me. I just had a bunch of filters and decided to share after I needed to cut a few to check for particles after getting new pistons. But if there are quite a few negative experiences from members, then it might just be that Purolator actually has/had issues. Just saying.

Either way, it doesn't make a difference to me since I'll personally stop using them until the trend indicates otherwise.

I'll add that I've used PureOne filters since 2008-now, including those in the problematic years. My vehicles haven't died from engine failure or anything even if some of those filters had failed. I simply didn't know there was a problem; how could I without opening the filter? But to have seen problems first-hand and still continue to buy new ones isn't something I would do.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ruhroh
Certainly possible: new poster, low post count, etc.

To be honest though, 5-min forum fame doesn't mean much to me. I just had a bunch of filters and decided to share after I needed to cut a few to check for particles after getting new pistons. But if there are quite a few negative experiences from members, then it might just be that Purolator actually has/had issues. Just saying.

Either way, it doesn't make a difference to me since I'll personally stop using them until the trend indicates otherwise.

I have stated replies like this about other items on this website. I never call out ANYONE in particular. And, I am like you, it doesn't make a difference to me either. I refuse to use them either until I know/see there are no more tears/problems with their filters.

So the new Puros are prone to tear at just 1000 miles?

Pretty remarkable that a company can put out such a shoddy product and do nothing about it for so long. It's only because 99.99% of people never see the insides that they ignore or get away with this.

Originally Posted By: BlueOvalFitter
You know, I sometimes wonder if some of these Purolator filters are ACTUALLY torn, or, members are tearing them to get their 5 minutes of fame here at BITOG. I mean, it's possible.........isn't it?
confused2.gif

So you think 100+ postings of torn Purolators over the last 2-1/2 years are all made up? Where's the aluminum foil?
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
confused2.gif

So you think 100+ postings of torn Purolators over the last 2-1/2 years are all made up? Where's the aluminum foil?
grin.gif

No, I never stated that. I merely stated that some of these tear stories "COULD" be made up to get their 5 minutes of fame.
I think I might have offended some.

confused2.gif

grin.gif

No, I never stated that. I merely stated that some of these tear stories "COULD" be made up to get their 5 minutes of fame.

It's possible, but anyone who does that kind of stuff for "attention" needs to stop living in their mom's basement and get a life.
eek.gif

confused2.gif

grin.gif

It's possible, but anyone who does that kind of stuff for "attention" needs to stop living in their mom's basement and get a life.
eek.gif

Now, that's a great statement! I was also thinking somewhere along those same lines.
thumbsup2.gif

Why would anyone make up the fact that a Tearolator had an issue? These things tear, rust, and rip without any faking! All some attention grabbing person needs to do is run one and cut. No need to fake it as they are almost guaranteed to tear.
grin.gif

I'm going to be taking the one off my Liberty this weekend, I'll attempt to do a cut and post. It's a red one, will have about 500 miles on it I think. I've been exclusively using Purolators since 08/09, so no telling if I've had a bad one.

BlueOvalFitter is right, people can fake these incidents anything is possible.

I experienced it myself though so I will always believe these reports. I would say that if anyone is hesitant and suspects fakery, I challenge you to run their filters more than once and see if you get a tear. When you get your first tear you won't suspect fakery any more, problem solved.

Originally Posted By: NoNameJoe
BlueOvalFitter is right, people can fake these incidents anything is possible.

I experienced it myself though so I will always believe these reports. I would say that if anyone is hesitant and suspects fakery, I challenge you to run their filters more than once and see if you get a tear. When you get your first tear you won't suspect fakery any more, problem solved.

Thank you for that vote of confidence.
I'm sure that they do tear. I have NOT actually seen one in person, but, there are way too many incidents on here by trustworthy members for it not to be true.
Again, I was merely stating that "IT'S POSSIBLE" that some could have been done for their 5 minutes of fame. And, Z06 (whom might be living in a basement
crackmeup2.gif
) hit the nail right on the head about why someone might fake a torn Purolator.

No one buys an oil filter, uses it, cuts it open, purposely tears it, just to display on this site to get attention. Of course anything could happen. The sun may be burned out because what we see in our brains existed 8 minutes and 20 seconds ago. Everything we see could be called fake because light takes time to reach our eyes and then on to the brain to make the image. I read about oil filters mainly because I don't want to do the chores that need doing. Believe me, all this reading about oil filters eats into chores.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back