Purolator PureOne P1 vs Driveworks. WWY Choose?

Status
Not open for further replies.
AAP has the Havoline synthetic oil change deal with a Driveworks filter, or for $2 extra you can upgrade to P1.

As most of you know, Purolators have been suffering from quality issues lately with the media tering, but the Driveworks is Chinese.

Has anybody run into any problems with Driveworks oil filters lately?

DW uses Purolator's numbering system, but AFAIK they're not actually made by Puro/Mann.

So, what would you guys pick? Chinese or tears?

I'm leaning towards the American ripper, mainly for the textured grip. It will be replacing another P1 already on the car, which is equipped with an OLM.

I would go with the Purolator. Not all Puros tear. I think a lot of it depends on mileage used and/or the condition of the motor. Im also not to big on chinese filters. Either way, cut it open and post it on your next oil change!

Last edited:
The ad's i usually see say "includes all filters up to $11.99" or something like that, so maybe you can swap out for a Fram Tough Guard or something.

@Merkava, they don't have Wix at AAP.

@larry, no O'Reillys around here

@Memphis, I don't think you can do that. And besides, are Fram's non-Ultra filters really any better?

Their oil filter selection is DW, Classic, P1, Mann, K&N, M1, Motorcraft, OCOD, TG, Ultra, and Bosch D+.

Purolator Synthetic seems to be online-only.

If you have a late-model Honda that uses Purolator (P)L14610, you can't get Driveworks because there's no DW-4610 (they consolidate with the smaller 4612)

The DWs appear to be solidly made filters.
I'm not sure that I'd consider a P1 an upgrade given the recently exposed media failures.
I write this as one who once considered the P1 the go-to filter, offering outstanding efficiency at a friendly price.

The tough guard is nearly the best non synthetic filter if you ask me. 99% efficient and rated for 10k miles. Yes there's still Fram haters but you asked me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back