Purolator PureOne 14610 Dissected

Status
Not open for further replies.
This was used on a friends 03 Yamaha YZF600R for approximately 3000 miles and looks to be in excellent condition. No evidence of tearing, ADBV extremely flexible (as was the previous Wix), overall build quality quite impressive.

1408904404_zps1907151d.jpg

1408904388_zps2d20ce66.jpg

1408904308_zps140123e1.jpg

1408904316_zpsb5ee26b4.jpg

Originally Posted By: friendly_jacek
One clean filter (inside). I'm sure it could go more than 3k.

After opening up this filter I'm completely inclined to agree with you about a longer FCI. He was concerned about the media tearing issues Purolator has been experiencing and chose to pull the filter early. Yamaha recommends every other OCI to replace the filter, 4K for oil, 8K for the filter.

Originally Posted By: KD0AXS
Wow, that thing looks great! If you still have it, what is the code stamped on the can?

Absolutely, I knew I forgot something to list in the previous post, thanks for the reminder!

Purolator PureOne Filter Code: F03E02E1

Got that exact model on my Fit right now, though I'm planning on running it 9k total. Thanks for the reassuring dissection and pictures.

That tears it!!

The Purolater Haters are going to want to lock this thread!!

Originally Posted By: dkryan

That tears it!!

The Purolater Haters are going to want to lock this thread!!

While I am disappointed that I was affected by the current Purolater quality problems, everyone I know of on BITOG has acknowledged that it appears to only affect certain model filters, and this was not one of them.

And I for one have always welcomed more knowledge, including more filter cutting like this.

OP, please keep it coming, and thanks for cutting and posting.

Quote:
... everyone I know of on BITOG has acknowledged that it appears to only affect certain model filters, and this was not one of them.....

While it may not have affected this one, if one pays attention to the failure listing the PL/L14610 is at the top of the list. However as with any anecdotal compilation it could be that the PL/L14610 is a very popular app (it is) and thus more are being cut open.

Some believe that manufacture date is a factor (not I) with newer being more prone. But the OP's is made in 2013 and it looks great. So I haven't observed anything conclusive regarding the failure listing. And I have PL14610 with 6700miles on it I just removed after a 15%MM Honda oci/fci and it too has no tears, looks great. Pics to be posted soon.

But 'imo' it doesn't seem far off that this one would be a disappointment to the dedicated purohaters. Fortunately, one of those and his at least five other aliases have all been banned.

But wait, there are not tears! What kind of witchcraft is this???
shocked2.gif
But seriously, great looking filter. Just another example of why I love pure ones!

Does the Yamaha rider have any worries that Mfg warns against using the PureOnes on bikes?

From their site:
"What About PureONE
If you're thinking you want to install a PureONE oil filter on your bike, please think again. PureONE oil filters are designed for vehicles, not bikes. Because of PureONE's high efficiency, the motorcycle oil pump may not be able to handle the pressure. The Purolator motorcycle filter line is designed to meet the specific needs of a bike; therefore we highly recommend the use of a Purolator ML filter over a PureONE oil filter."

I'm guessing that the marketing people just don't want to cut into the dedicated motorcycle filter sales, particularly if those provide a higher margin.
wink.gif
Alternatively, they may specify only Purolator ML model numbers for such vehicles, and no Pureones or Purolator Classics for such vehicles.

Originally Posted By: sayjac

While it may not have affected this one, if one pays attention to the failure listing the PL/L14610 is at the top of the list. However as with any anecdotal compilation it could be that the PL/L14610 is a very popular app (it is) and thus more are being cut open.

Sorry I missed that it was a PL14610, assumed it was an ML.

Originally Posted By: sayjac

Some believe that manufacture date is a factor (not I) with newer being more prone. But the OP's is made in 2013 and it looks great. So I haven't observed anything conclusive regarding the failure listing. And I have PL14610 with 6700miles on it I just removed after a 15%MM Honda oci/fci and it too has no tears, looks great. Pics to be posted soon.

But 'imo' it doesn't seem far off that this one would be a disappointment to the dedicated purohaters. Fortunately, one of those and his at least five other aliases have all been banned.

I haven't made any conclusions about date range either, but I'm hoping it is (was) a transient problem. I also hope the banning quiets down the endless arguing and Ultra boosterism. (Nothing against the Ultra, but it's not the only viable filter on the planet).

Originally Posted By: ammolab
Does the Yamaha rider have any worries that Mfg warns against using the PureOnes on bikes?

From their site:
"What About PureONE
If you're thinking you want to install a PureONE oil filter on your bike, please think again. PureONE oil filters are designed for vehicles, not bikes. Because of PureONE's high efficiency, the motorcycle oil pump may not be able to handle the pressure. The Purolator motorcycle filter line is designed to meet the specific needs of a bike; therefore we highly recommend the use of a Purolator ML filter over a PureONE oil filter."

I've also read Purolator's advisory against using their automotive filters for motorcycle applications and used to be more cautious about it, but after delving into the subject further I've also come to the conclusion that it's primarily based off the fact that oil filter manufacturers generally have a much wider margin on motorcycle specific filters than automotive variants (in addition to motorcycle approved oil); along with the fact that generally speaking whatever items that have a lower casting quantity, or items manufactured in lower total numbers are more expensive than their most popular manufactured item, especially since sales popularity dictates how quickly they can regain profits.

As long as an individual thoroughly researches the proper parameters of their oil filter such as thread size/pitch, gallons per minute flow rate, micron rating, by-pass pressure setting, burst pressure, etc. and the numbers match up, I don't have an issue using a different filter. The nice thing about Wix filters is that they don't have a "specified motorcycle oil filter" variety and list all the various applications the filter will fit.

For example, my 07 Yamaha FZ1 requires a Wix 51358 oil filter as specified for my application and is particularly pricey (cheapest is close to $9 per filter). They state that the filter can be used for these vehicles as their primary application: Honda Motorcycles + Industrial Engines, I-R, Honda (87-12), Komatsu, Kubota, Kia (95-05), Mercury, Arctic Cat (06-12), Polaris, Yamaha, Infiniti-Nissan (96-14). As you can see, it works for many powersports equipment, but also Honda, Nissan, and Kia cars for over a decade and a half model years. As long as it meets the proper specs and size requirements, they are interchangeable.

I decided to to see if Wix had a more inexpensive variety that met my FZ1 application and found that the Wix 51357 matched virtually ever spec except that it's about a 1/2" longer and can be found easily for $6.

Wix 51358

Wix 51357

Sorry about the long drawn out reply, I've just done a lot of digging around and was always really curious what the difference between automotive and motorcycle filters were and after having access to working in the motorcycle retail business and to information from some powersport oil filter manufacturers, it's helped broaden my perspective on the topic.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back