Purolator Pure 1 filter cut-open pics, with debris

Status
Not open for further replies.
1991 Jeep Wrangler, Purolator Pure 1 oil filter.

with ... sand.

OOWBFqj.jpg

vEjqMWj.jpg

IxXsb9o.jpg

vK1UXoV.jpg

vXCXO36.jpg

SRxKYtd.jpg

pn7yt6G.jpg

99BXZBl.jpg

It's probably time for a new air filter.

Check your intake/air filter for leaks.

Are you off-roading the Wrangler?

Did you have any rips on the media where it meets the base plate? That is the big problem we are having with Purolators right now. Looks like the filter did it's job well though, it stopped the junk from floating around in your engine.

I would be considering an oversized Fram Ultra for the higher holding capacity, since you seem to be taxing the filter more than the average user.

+1 on replacing the air filter.

Also next time give more pictures of the filter media itself, and if possible wrap the filter in paper towels with a rubber band overnight to absorb the oil and get a better look at the media.

Sorry guys, I posted but didn't get to edit or finish.

I sunk the Jeep in a water hole. Hydrolocked it.

Took the plugs out on-trail, shot a lot of water out, cleaned out the distributor, and then continued wheeling it, then drove it home 40 miles.

Changed the oil the next day, and was curious as to what I would find. I don't think the bybass activated, and believe the Pure One filter saved my engine.

which means that you had alotta fun wheelin! I always say that if you have never gotten really stuck and have never broken anything, then you have not been off-roading correctly!

Originally Posted By: tomcat27
which means that you had alotta fun wheelin! I always say that if you have never gotten really stuck and have never broken anything, then you have not been off-roading correctly!

LOL

Lucky that filter didn't have a tear, or the engine would have sucked up all that grit and your engine would have lost compression especially after the 40 mile trip home.

Maybe run a FRAM Ultra this run to really clean up the fresh oil change where fine particles might have settled in the bottom of the pan or drop the oil pan and clean it out.

I bet there is a pile of dirt there.

I trust Pure One.

But I should do another filter change now at about the 500 mile mark just do have a cleaner filter. I'll leave the new oil in there though.

They may not be the most efficient motors, but there's something to be said for these strong old inline sixes. It almost has 185,000 on it, and it doesn't run any worse after ingesting sand and water.

Originally Posted By: SilverC6
It's probably time for a new air filter.

Check your intake/air filter for leaks.

Are you off-roading the Wrangler?

The air filter was water logged after I got pulled out, so I had to pull it while there on the trail... then it blew out of the Jeep and into the sand. I had to run the rest of the off-roading day (probably about 4 more hours), and trip home, without an air filter.

But then when I bought the Jeep in November 2013 I found it didn't have an air filter in it anyway. Who knows how long it ran without one? Again, the inline six still just keeps chugging away.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Falken
Lucky that filter didn't have a tear, or the engine would have sucked up all that grit and your engine would have lost compression especially after the 40 mile trip home.

Give me a break! You cant really be serious! This guys sinks his jeep, hydrolocks it, has to do emergency maintenance in the field and you are telling him that a tear in one pleat would have doomed his jeep forever?
crackmeup2.gif

Originally Posted By: jk_636
Originally Posted By: Falken

Give me a break! You cant really be serious! This guys sinks his jeep, hydrolocks it, has to do emergency maintenance in the field and you are telling him that a tear in one pleat would have doomed his jeep forever?
crackmeup2.gif

Thank you, but you know what? He's kinda right.

Now I don't know anything of Pure 1 oil filters tearing, and still trust them as the most economical good filter that I like.

But for that next-day oil change I bought a 2.5 gallon container of oil so that I would have a container (I plan on getting a better one) to bring along clean oil, and I will be taking a new (albeit cheap) filter with me just in case this ends up being a problem for any of us again.

I am new to the Keeping scene, and one of the gents with the group who gave me support while trying to get it running again said it was pretty common to hydrolock at least one Jeep on these Florida outings. That tells me that, yes, one of us should bring along spare cheap oil, a catch-container, and a spare filter so that any Jeep suffering this fate will be a little better off after pulling it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back