Purolator PSL14610 C&P, 2506 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is a Purolator PSL14610 from my '94 Honda VT1100C.
2506 miles on filter, 12,519 miles on bike. Oil was Peak 15w-40 Syn-blend.
Yes it is a short mileage interval, but it has been 1 year and a lot of short trips (my work commute is 3 miles each way, and I ride year round).
I had actually planned on leaving it on for 2 drains, but once I had the oil drained out, I just could not make myself leave it on there.

Also need to thank Duckryder again for donating this filter to me.

Did not get a pic of it before I started cutting it (it is in the video though).

Yup, A Purolator PSL (I wish they still made the textured cans, that was nice):
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Date code (I beleive December 20, 2014)
[Linked Image]

Baseplate:
[Linked Image]

ADV, flexible and no cuts:
[Linked Image]

Spring, ADV and baseplate:
[Linked Image]

Inside canister, I had old HDD magnets on it, caught some stuff:
[Linked Image]

Holes in center tube:
[Linked Image]

Decently spaced media pleats:
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Caught some stuff in there (some little metal flakes in there
[Linked Image]

It is a 2 layer synthetic media:
[Linked Image]

With wire mesh backing
[Linked Image]

And a video of it cut open

I could have easily left this on for another 2500 miles, and probably should have, but I have plenty of filters.

I put in some more Peak 15w-40 and put on a Bosch Distance+ 3323 (another freebie from Duckryder)
thumbsup2.gif

Looks good ... the wire backed synthetic media will never tear like the cellulose can. Thanks for the C&P.

Originally Posted by SubieRubyRoo
Very nice work, filter seems unaffected by short trips. Good to see something positive from them!

Too bad it was made 5 years ago and is no longer available, and the replacement for it has it's own issues.
Even with it's lower filtration (numbers I found were same as the Boss, 99% @ 40 microns), it is still something that I would have used. I think it is on par with the Wix XP/NAPA Platinum line.
I will not use a Boss.

Funny thing is, I said like 2 years ago that I would no longer use Purolator made filters (maybe I said I will not buy any more?), but I have a P1 on my sisters SUV (free from Duckryder, will be coming off in a week or so), this one posted, and now the Puro made D+ I just put on (also from Duckryder).
I guess it is his fault (and still have 3 more D+ in my stash, one from him, 2 from the Walmart clearance)

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
Looks good ... the wire backed synthetic media will never tear like the cellulose can. Thanks for the C&P.

Yeah, this is the first wire backed filter I have cut apart, and really like it.
Great pleat spacing throughout, no twisted or wave pleats at all.

Originally Posted by blupupher
Even with it's lower filtration (numbers I found were same as the Boss, 99% @ 40 microns), it is still something that I would have used.

It's been a long while since I've had Puro filters, but I think this only applied to 3-4 filter sizes; the rest were 99%@20 microns. The 14610, 14612, and one or two others were the outcasts. I got away from these because these are the sizes my Subarus rely on.

I have one of those in the PSL10241 size on my Focus right now on it's second OCI.
I ran the first fill of Castrol Synblend SN (from the AZ closeout) about 4500 miles and now have a 2nd fill of that same oil on the filter.
The engine is very clean so I think the filter will handle the 9 to 10K interval without issue. Any opinions on using this filter for 2 approx. 5K OCI's on a clean engine?

PS: The Focus requires removal of the PITA bellypan for a filter removal...so I occasionally use the Mityvac for oil removal and re-use the filter...

Even with it's lower filtration (numbers I found were same as the Boss, 99% @ 40 microns), it is still something that I would have used.

... I think this only applied to 3-4 filter sizes; the rest were 99%@20 microns. The 14610, 14612, and one or two others were the outcasts. ...
Which points out another drawback of tiny filters ...

Originally Posted by pbm
The engine is very clean so I think the filter will handle the 9 to 10K interval without issue. Any opinions on using this filter for 2 approx. 5K OCI's on a clean engine?

I see no issue with that.
These PSL were stout filters, I would bet they could last 20,000 miles pretty easily in most applications.

It's been a long while since I've had Puro filters, but I think this only applied to 3-4 filter sizes; the rest were 99%@20 microns. The 14610, 14612, and one or two others were the outcasts. I got away from these because these are the sizes my Subarus rely on.

The Boss (all models) are rated 99% @ 40μ. There were a few small Purolators that were 99% @ 40μ (I can dig them up later), and were the PureOne line, but I know the 14610 was not one of them because I've used them before.

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
The Boss (all models) are rated 99% @ 40μ. There were a few small Purolators that were 99% @ 40μ (I can dig them up later), and were the PureOne line, but I know the 14610 was not one of them because I've used them before.

I never used a Boss, I was referring to the yellow PureOne. I forget exactly which were the 40 micron ones; it actually said "99%@20 microns, except 'xxx,xxx,xxx'"

Originally Posted by Char Baby
The PSL compared to the PBL(Puro BOSS), is there any difference?

The PBL does not have the wire backing, It is a sort of plastic mesh in the media.

(Cut Open) Puro PBL14610 - Virgin (GREY, Slotted)

It is a shame in my opinion that Purolator decided to discontinue the PSL, there were good filters.

I've used quite few and unless you consider crooked pleats an issue, they never have issues.

Last edited:
This is a Purolator PSL14610 from my '94 Honda VT1100C.
2506 miles on filter, 12,519 miles on bike. Oil was Peak 15w-40 Syn-blend.
Yes it is a short mileage interval, but it has been 1 year and a lot of short trips (my work commute is 3 miles each way, and I ride year round).
I had actually planned on leaving it on for 2 drains, but once I had the oil drained out, I just could not make myself leave it on there.

Also need to thank Duckryder again for donating this filter to me.

Did not get a pic of it before I started cutting it (it is in the video though).

Yup, A Purolator PSL (I wish they still made the textured cans, that was nice):
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Date code (I beleive December 20, 2014)
[Linked Image]

Baseplate:
[Linked Image]

ADV, flexible and no cuts:
[Linked Image]

Spring, ADV and baseplate:
[Linked Image]

Inside canister, I had old HDD magnets on it, caught some stuff:
[Linked Image]

Holes in center tube:
[Linked Image]

Decently spaced media pleats:
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Caught some stuff in there (some little metal flakes in there
[Linked Image]

It is a 2 layer synthetic media:
[Linked Image]

With wire mesh backing
[Linked Image]

And a video of it cut open

I could have easily left this on for another 2500 miles, and probably should have, but I have plenty of filters.

I put in some more Peak 15w-40 and put on a Bosch Distance+ 3323 (another freebie from Duckryder)
thumbsup2.gif

Thank You for c&p. Looks very good also

Thanks for the C&P, excellent filter.

I have installed L14610(old white can) on my VFR this week and waiting to fire her up after all fluid changes.

BTW, have you used any 'short' cans(filters) too?

I used a ST6607 when I first got it as a "cleansing" run. Was not impressed.

I have one D+ of this size left (but may use that on my sisters Hyundai), then several of the larger 3593a ToughGuards.
I was actually just looking on the NAPA website debating buying a Platinum 1334 for $5 for my next change.

Originally Posted by pbm

These PSL were stout filters, I would bet they could last 20,000 miles pretty easily in most applications.

Thanks BP....I didn't realize that you answered my question until I read today's Fram Ultra post which directed me back to this thread. I'm glad to hear that these are good filters as I have a couple more of them.

Does anybody know if the PSL10241 is one of the better or worse efficiency versions? (99%@20microns or 40 microns)

Also, I wonder how similar the Bosch D+ are to these as both are Purolator long mileage filters from the same era? I have several of those in the longer version (Fram 3600 size) for my Escape that I bought at the WM clearance. I'm leery of running the longer filter on the Focus because it hangs slightly lower (or even with) the bottom of the engine...while it's protected on the Escape's 2.5.

Originally Posted by pbm
Originally Posted by pbm

Thanks BP....I didn't realize that you answered my question until I read today's Fram Ultra post which directed me back to this thread. I'm glad to hear that these are good filters as I have a couple more of them.

Does anybody know if the PSL10241 is one of the better or worse efficiency versions? (99%@20microns or 40 microns)

Also, I wonder how similar the Bosch D+ are to these as both are Purolator long mileage filters from the same era? I have several of those in the longer version (Fram 3600 size) for my Escape that I bought at the WM clearance. I'm leery of running the longer filter on the Focus because it hangs slightly lower (or even with) the bottom of the engine...while it's protected on the Escape's 2.5.
The D+ has blend media, while the PSL has (superior) full syn media. The D+ has a thicker can, it would take a massive shot to poke a hole in one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back