Purolator PL20195 - 7702mi/1yr 00 Toyota 1MZ-FE V6

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's the PureOne from the latest oil change on my in-law's 2000 Toyota Camry V6. This is a very low mileage city vehicle with only 44,600 on the odo. Given this vintage 1MZ-FE's reputation, I perform annual oil changes regardless of mileage.

This filter was installed Labor Day 2013 and run an unusually long 7,702 miles on [FAR] G-Oil Syn 5W-30.

IMG-20140817-00303.jpg

IMG-20140817-00302.jpg

Code is F09A16C1, which might be from before the Puro issues started popping up.

IMG-20140817-00304.jpg

Gasket discolored around edges, but in good shape.

IMG-20140817-00306.jpg

Top popped, ADV looks good, very pliable and functional as filter was still filled with oil despite draining in pan overnight.

IMG-20140817-00307.jpg

Media seam here, glue held, no tears anywhere.

IMG-20140817-00308.jpg

IMG-20140817-00309.jpg

IMG-20140817-00310.jpg

Not much to see here otherwise; but maybe it will help narrow down the failure prone production codes.

Looks good. Made Sept. of 09. I've seen no definitive correlation to a specific manufacture time frame, perhaps more application specific, but I don't study it very closely.

Related topic, based on a recent thread regarding the newer Camry cartridge installation, thinking this spin on application is much much easier. And 44.6k miles on an 00, very low miles.

I used the last of my FAR 5w30 G-Oil on an 01 Tacoma a year or two back. Good for free.

Thanks for the pics.

Edit: Just figured out what you meant by reputation of engines of this vintage.

Last edited:
OP have you ever looked under the valve cover? Maybe I'm too paranoid but I'd never take my 1MZFE out a whole year between changes lol.

I'm of the beliefe the Puro issue is date specific. I'm using a large stash of of them and so far they have looked really good out to 7-8k in a 5 month run period. I need to learn to post pics. I have them. I'm scared to but a new Puro 1 so I am sticking with Fram Ultra for future.

With that engine safe would be 6mo....it is after all, you IN LAWS!! Toyota won't get the blame, you will!!

Did any of them have wide pleat spacing around the metal crimp seem? You can upload pics to any free host like http://imgur.com/ for example.

Originally Posted By: BISCUT
I'm of the beliefe the Puro issue is date specific. I'm using a large stash of of them and so far they have looked really good out to 7-8k in a 5 month run period. I need to learn to post pics. I have them. I'm scared to but a new Puro 1 so I am sticking with Fram Ultra for future.

With that engine safe would be 6mo....it is after all, you IN LAWS!! Toyota won't get the blame, you will!!

Originally Posted By: Cristobal
Based on what I have seen, Purolator filters get the media tears when not enough media is used when the filter is made. This makes it stretch and tear.

And along with the media being to restrictive to oil flow IMO.

Originally Posted By: daman
Based on what I have seen, Purolator filters get the media tears when not enough media is used when the filter is made. This makes it stretch and tear.

Really not that restrictive. Both PureOnes and Classics tear media, and the Classic is probably less restrictive than the PureOne, which is shown in the link below. You've got over 10K posts, so you probably have seen this before.

PureOne Flow vs PSID Data

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Originally Posted By: daman

Really not that restrictive. Both PureOnes and Classics tear media, and the Classic is probably less restrictive than the PureOne, which is shown in the link below. You've got over 10K posts, so you probably have seen this before.

PureOne Flow vs PSID Data

I remember that, i was actually looking for that post the other day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back