Purolator PL14459 1998 Civic D16Y7 11k TORN!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Car/engine has 180k on it, this filter being on the car for 11k. Oil used was Castrol Edge Black 5w30

Date code F07E25D1

New oil is PP 5w30, and the filter was replaced by another P1 (sorry, but I like the Pureone textured grip, and I got it at a great price, Purolator's synthetic filter was out of stock, and the Fram Ultra rebate was over). Planned OCI is 9k.

Unfortunately, this Purolator suffered from the common media tears at both the top and bottom near where the metal seam is.

Also, there was oil at the seam where the can and the baseplate thing meet. I did NOT cut the filter at the seam this time. I cut it a little above that, near where the red thing is, and the used needle nose pliers to pull it off. The ADBV was still soft and pliable.

I try to take pictures with the flash off to avoid the flash hiding things or the reflection looking like a problem, but sometimes it causes slow shutter speeds and I don't have image stabilization.

15281566102_b103003ac6_o.jpg

15095198469_2b0e217764_o.jpg

15281961475_25ecb2c278_o.jpg

15095204139_649b55f1a2_o.jpg

15095259760_99e1549d5b_o.jpg

15281568652_5f787fc714_o.jpg

15095255780_4d5288d266_o.jpg

15258936586_d9ac4811ab_o.jpg

15281562602_f2f433cca0_o.jpg

15281560372_011c432eca_o.jpg

Much more V-spread on the torn pleat next to the seam compared to the pleat on the other side of the seam. As pleat V-spread increases, tearing becomes more likely. This aspect is seen on every torn Purolator reported.

Why bother putting a filter on if it's not filtering
grin.gif

I'm giving mine away (3 left) and using XG's and AFE for 1 year OCI's on the soob. I can't trust puro's anymore.

Thanks for posting!

I used pl 14459 purolators only on my d16y7, I found one way back in 2012 with a small tear down half a pleat when I cut one before this was a "thing"

Originally Posted By: Lead Shoes
I used pl 14459 purolators only on my d16y7, I found one way back in 2012 with a small tear down half a pleat when I cut one before this was a "thing"

Here's a Classic 14459 tear reported back in May 2011. So this problem has been around for awhile. Just seems it really go going with a large rash of reports here in the last 6 months.

Large V-spread is clearly seen in this example.

Torn Purolator Classic 14459

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Much more V-spread on the torn pleat next to the seam compared to the pleat on the other side of the seam. As pleat V-spread increases, tearing becomes more likely. This aspect is seen on every torn Purolator reported.

Freeze frame this video at 3:10 to see how the v spread gets created (although this is for Fram).

It seems that it's maybe unavoidable to have that v in which case there must be a specification for the media which prevents it tearing in that place. So the fix may well end up being stronger media and making sure you don't run these too long.

Here's a Classic 14459 tear reported back in May 2011. So this problem has been around for awhile. Just seems it really go going with a large rash of reports here in the last 6 months.

Large V-spread is clearly seen in this example.

Torn Purolator Classic 14459

Sorry about your torn filter, but the photography is awesome though!

Unfortunately I can't seem to take a picture of that quality
frown.gif

Apollo14 - good point out in the video. Yes, the pleats get spread out more and the two pleats on either side of the seam do get a larger V-spread from that process it seems. Maybe that is why Purolator used the string around the media at one time ... to maybe try to even out the pleat spacing and V-spread before gluing on the end caps.

Seems like from what I've seen reported here, that the V-spread is way more critical then the pleat spacing. We have seen may photos of large pleat spacing at the seam with little V-spread that didn't result in any tearing during use. And of course as you mentioned, media strength & resistance to tearing is huge factor too.

tommygunn - that photo was taken with my now ~10 year old Fuji E550. I've taken about 10K photos with it since it was new - she's still tickin'.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
Has anyone found a Purolator with more than 1 tear?

Mine had 4. On both sides of the pleat at both ends.

Apollo14 - good point out in the video. Yes, the pleats get spread out more and the two pleats on either side of the seam do get a larger V-spread from that process it seems. Maybe that is why Purolator used the string around the media at one time ... to maybe try to even out the pleat spacing and V-spread before gluing on the end caps.

Seems like from what I've seen reported here, that the V-spread is way more critical then the pleat spacing. We have seen may photos of large pleat spacing at the seam with little V-spread that didn't result in any tearing during use. And of course as you mentioned, media strength & resistance to tearing is huge factor too.

I just had an FL820S with brittle media that tore very easily, just like your 2011 Purolator. I've seen reports with perfect high mileage FL820S with media described as very flexible, as well as a report of brittle media and no tears.

I think the V space has always been there so if the filter tears, it is because of any of these alone or in combination:

1) Brittle media
2) Potting / glue that is too firm and which means that oil pressure against the pleat causes a tear at the point where the pleat can't flex any more
3) Running too long

Sure, if they didn't have a V, they might not have any problems. But I think it's always been there and other parts of the design means it didn't tear as much as it has been.

Originally Posted By: tommygunn
0, and the filter was replaced by another P1 (sorry, but I like the Pureone textured grip, and I got it at a great price, Purolator's synthetic filter was out of stock, and the Fram Ultra rebate was over). Planned OCI is 9k.

Wait, you're willing to run another Purolator because you like the textured grip? Am I reading this right?

Originally Posted By: R80RS
Sad to keep seeing this. Thanks for posting.

I am not surprised seeing these results given its age. The filters posted with the later 2014 dates have looked great though. Those are the ones I want to see cut and posted.

* Or do you mean its sad to see people continuing to run filters prone to failure?
laugh.gif

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back