Purolator PL14459 1998 Civic D16Y7 11k TORN!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
Bad Filters Period !!!!

The Purolator Synthetic is fine. The Purolator Cartridge filters are fine. They're fine in exactly the same way the Fram Ultra is fine despite the basic Fram orange can being a piece of garbage. Different materials and manufacturing process than the problematic filters.

Originally Posted By: steve20
OP
How about putting 4 holes in your air filter---that way it matches the P1 you just installed?

Hey now, that P1 only had two holes!
crackmeup2.gif

Originally Posted By: steve20
^^^ the puro syn maybe fine in the durability dept---but what about its relatively poor efficiency rating?

The Wix synthetic (XP series) is the one with the strangely low efficiency rating. The PSL series claims 99% at 25 microns.

I'm not saying I'm sold on Puro Synthetics as the best synthetic-media filter available (I still give that ranking to the Royal Purple with the Ultra in a close, close second), just pointing out that like the Ultra it has nothing at all in common with the lower-tier filters in terms of construction.

If I had to run a Purolator, (like a gun would have to be held to my head..) it would be the Puro Synthetic since it is wire backed. They just aren't a good value IMO. Pretty paint jobs though.
laugh.gif

How can you trust purolators synthetic specs when you can't get a straight answer from them on the tear problem. If they can't build oil filters that will last for the average user, I wouldn't trust any of their products or their advertised specs. Quality is in the product not what they say in their ads or website. Purolator on their website says "failure is not an option". I don't believe anything they say.

http://ca-en.purolatorautofilters.net/enen/ca/news/Pages/OilFiltersWhyFailureIsNotAnOption.aspx

Originally Posted By: sprite1741
How can you trust purolators synthetic specs when you can't get a straight answer from them on the tear problem. If they can't build oil filters that will last for the average user, I wouldn't trust any of their products or their advertised specs.

I used to say the same thing about Fram until I actually looked at an Ultra. To this day, I'd rather run a Purolator Classic than a Fram orange can (not that I'd actually use either one).

Still tearing huh? Well puro may have just lost a customer forever. My local parts store (Baxter) has re boxed Wix for $2.99 a piece. Screaming deal for a great filter!

Originally Posted By: telecat
It's not an 11,000 mile filter.

This is true. I would not run a P1 for 11,000 miles under any circumstances ... even if the tearing issue never existed.

Originally Posted By: Tony10s

This is true. I would not run a P1 for 11,000 miles under any circumstances ... even if the tearing issue never existed.

It would be an 11K mile filter if a vehicles OLM said so. That is per Purolator's own statement for usage.

What if it's used on a Honda that has the maintenance schedule that says to use it for 2x OCIs? Per Purolator, their filters are designed to do whatever the vehicle manufacturer's maintenance schedule recommends.

The factory FCI is 15k: Honda says to change it every *other* oil change, and each OCI is 7500.

7500x2=15000

I only ran it for 11k.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
If I had to run a Purolator, (like a gun would have to be held to my head..) it would be the Puro Synthetic since it is wire backed. They just aren't a good value IMO. Pretty paint jobs though.
laugh.gif

Pretty paint job and the textured grip
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
It would be an 11K mile filter if a vehicles OLM said so. That is per Purolator's own statement for usage.

What if it's used on a Honda that has the maintenance schedule that says to use it for 2x OCIs? Per Purolator, their filters are designed to do whatever the vehicle manufacturer's maintenance schedule recommends.

Purolator states that the P1 oil filter should be changed every 3,000 miles or 3 months; therefore, there is no way that I am going to choose to interpret the statement that follows this on the website to mean that I can run this filter for 11,000 miles. Purolator has an extended service oil filter, and it is not the P1.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix

Purolator states that the P1 oil filter should be changed every 3,000 miles or 3 months; therefore, there is no way that I am going to choose to interpret the statement that follows this on the website to mean that I can run this filter for 11,000 miles. Purolator has an extended service oil filter, and it is not the P1.

But you only read half of Purolator's use statement. It says right on their website:

"Purolator PureONE oil filters should be replaced every 3,000 miles or 3 months depending on the driving conditions - or unless otherwise specified by the vehicle's manufacturer."

"Or unless otherwise specified by the vehicle's manufacturer" means that if Honda says do 2x 7,500 mile OCIs, then Purolator is saying the PureOne will do that. Or if GM says to change oil & filter by the OLM and grandma sees 13,539 miles when the OLM = 0% oil life left, then Purolator is saying it can do that. Call their Tech Support line and verify this yourself.

http://www.purolatorautofilters.net/products/oil_filters/Pages/pureoneoilfilters.aspx

For the Purolator Synthetic, Purolator says it's rated at 10,000 miles.

Maybe Purolator needs to change their statement?
whistle.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back