Oil: Multiple OCs.
No cuts in the ADBV this time.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

The only complaint people seem to have is the Boss' efficiency.

Personally, I think it's fine. The filter is excellent and one tough unit.

I think Purolator recently updated their filter information on the Boss filters... Now saying they are 99 percent at 25 microns... Not too shabby.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by bbhero
I think Purolator recently updated their filter information on the Boss filters... Now saying they are 99 percent at 25 microns... Not too shabby.

That's nice to hear and great confirmation. Thanks.

I personally don't care that much about the efficiency. I do care about defects such as torn ADBV. I really hope Purolator is fixing it. The 14610 doesn't seem to be an effected model though.

Originally Posted by SteveG4

Confirmation from Purolator's website - see the footnote in the chart: https://www.pureoil.com/en/do-it-yourself/oil-filters/oil-filter-selection-guide/

Thanks for posting. It looks good, but it will be a long time if/when I ever use one.

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix

Confirmation from Purolator's website - see the footnote in the chart: https://www.pureoil.com/en/do-it-yourself/oil-filters/oil-filter-selection-guide/

That link states the basic red Purolator is now 96.5 @ 20 microns.
But hey, the internet always has the most correct information....... right?

What's the name of the TYPE OF SPRING in the 5th picture down?

I know it's the bypass mechanism.

NOTE: I always wondered how precisely the bypass pressures are maintained.

Everybody wants a $3 filter so how precise can they be?

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en

That is not the filter being discussed here but maybe you knew that?

Originally Posted by Kira

No idea what it is called, maybe a plate spring or flat spring?
It is weird looking and only purolator uses it.

NOTE: I always wondered how precisely the bypass pressures are maintained.

Everybody wants a $3 filter so how precise can they be?

Denso Toyota oil filters from Japan used the exact same type of bypass spring. These came on new Toyotas made in Japan in earlier years. Some one else said the name. I don't know a different name, flex plate spring?
Fram will give a bypass range, from start of open to max open I would guess. It's probably pretty accurate like a pound. Others just give one number, don't know what that refers to except maybe the middle of the range, or it could be the start. Fram is better than most with their tech specs. I don't think when Fram says 19-25 bypass it means their spring is so unpredictable it could start to open anywhere in the range. It should be the start to max.

Hey Pimtac @ 9:27AM
Maybe you didn't know that the topic link provided in this thread carries specs on all three levels of Purolator filters. So I'm glad I made you aware of that.
Please next time, look & read first, prior to typing out your reply.

My mention of the filter efficiency rating was fitting for this thread, since the efficiency link had already been presented here.

Last edited:

Well, in this case "the internet" is Purolator. If they don't know what the efficiency of their oil filters are, then nobody knows!
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by blupupher

No idea what it is called, maybe a plate spring or flat spring?
It is weird looking and only purolator uses it.

Yep ... it's been called a "flat spring" quite often in this forum.

Hey Pimtac @ 9:27AM
Maybe you didn't know that the topic link provided in this thread carries specs on all three levels of Purolator filters. So I'm glad I made you aware of that.
Please next time, look & read first, prior to typing out your reply.

My mention of the filter efficiency rating was fitting for this thread, since the efficiency link had already been presented here.

Hey, why don't YOU stay on the topic at hand and not some random filter. This is why I don't post much: NITPICKING by people always thinking they know it all. Lighten up Joe! Remember, I sent you a UOA sample kit on my dime!!

OP: filter looks good. What oil and filter went back in on? Or did I miss it?

Thank You friend
01.gif

Puro has changed the tapping plate on these (the 14610 series) at least once (hence the cause of them no longer working on some off catalog applications like Motorcycles).

But:

My recollection from the ones I cut open was that the tapping plate had a ridge that prevented the ADBV from laying against the holes, thus greatly reducing/alleviating the potential for the tapping plate cutting the ADBV.

Last edited:
Back