Purolator One Filter Cross

Good evening,

I’m looking for a pure one oil filter part number for a 2017 Golf GTI. These are the part numbers I’ve come up with.

PL21478 (pure one)
L28161(regular purolator)
WL10396 (wix)
06L-115-562-B (OEM)

I’ve got the PL21478 but can’t find a cross reference for it. Can you tell me if it’s a suitable substitute? The only thing I can find recommended is the L28161 good for 5k however, the PL21478 is good for 10k.

Mann HU 6013Z

For a lot of those German cartridge filters, it's not uncommon to find the same filter in all three boxes (Classic, P1, Boss)

Also, any filter for your car should be able to do the factory OCI with no problem.

Fram will be releasing an Ultra for your GTI. Part number XG11784. It doesn't seem to be available yet, but when it does, it will be good for 20k :)

Awesome, I’ve already got the pure one. However, if the Mann is just as good/better I can pick one up tomorrow. I wish I could cross the pure one filter I’ve got. I looked In purolator’s catalog for this year. I found the PL21478 listed as a replacement for the oem. I just wish there was something more definitive. Once I start the job, I’ll need to have the right filter.

Good evening,

I’m looking for a pure one oil filter part number for a 2017 Golf GTI. These are the part numbers I’ve come up with.

PL21478 (pure one)
L28161(regular purolator)
WL10396 (wix)
06L-115-562-B (OEM)

I’ve got the PL21478 but can’t find a cross reference for it. Can you tell me if it’s a suitable substitute? The only thing I can find recommended is the L28161 good for 5k however, the PL21478 is good for 10k.
Per the Purolator filter look-up tool, the right filter is the L28161 ... they don't show a PL28161 which is what the PureOne would be for that car, so apparently they don't make a proper PureOne for the GTI.

Why do you think the PL21478 will work in this car?

At the counter, the wix filter for that car crossed to the pure one pn. After I did some digging on the purolator website I found a 700 page book for technicians that also crossed the current oem pn the the pure one pn listed. This was “new for 2020.” Also, the PL21478 isn’t listed in the pn lookup on pureoil. 🤔. The measurements match what’s listed for the L28161.

Last edited:
At the counter, the wix filter for that car crossed to the pure one pn. After I did some digging on the purolator website I found a 700 page book for technicians that also crossed the current oem pn the the pure one pn listed. This was “new for 2020.” Also, the PL21478 listed in the pn lookup on pureoil. 🤔. The measurements match what’s listed for the L28161.

Apparently Purolator hasn't updated their on-line lookup tool to match the 2020 Tech catalog info.

Capture.JPG

Last edited:
That’s the only thing I can figure. However, I’m used to seeing the same pn used across the board from the pure one to boss to regular purolator. The filter is made in Germany and measuring it against the wix pn... it’s identical (.020 longer) inside and outside are the exact same measurements. Wasn’t sure if anyone had ran into the problem. I ordered two Manns off of Amazon. They’ll be here tomorrow.

Back