Purolator L24651 cut open, found more torn media

Status
Not open for further replies.
+1 Whimsey

Torn media in a filter means the component failed.
27.gif

Too many GPM going through them to even consider a faulty filter to be "okay".

Don't buy any Purolator until they correct their quality issues.

Last edited:
No one should be surprised that a 3-5,000 mile rated filter is consumed after a 9,000 mile run.

It's like a "I ran Warren dino for 15,000 miles and it didn't have any TBN left" thread.

Originally Posted By: Rat407
The oil was changed back in March of this year. Weather here in eastern NC doesn't get to cold for the most part. Driving is mixed country roads and interstate 75mpg runs.

Ok, it looks like just plain filter failure under those driving conditions. Though Purolator will say that if they didn't follow the manufacture FCI then it's the owner's fault and not Purolator's, Ironically Honda asks for 10,000 miles with the Classic filter. I've lost faith in Purolator oil filters. I'm returning my stash tomorrow.

Whimsey

Originally Posted By: SilverC6
No one should be surprised that a 3-5,000 mile rated filter is consumed after a 9,000 mile run.

It's like a "I ran Warren dino for 15,000 miles and it didn't have any TBN left" thread.

Lots of PureOnes were ran way more than 3K~5K miles over, and cut open with no seen issues over many years before the Purolator tearing issue showed up here.

So now magically, the PureOne is only rated for 3K~5K miles now that it produces tears in the media - LOL, making up excuses I guess. As said before, if it's gonna tear it will be torn even with 3K~5K miles of use.

The Purolator L24651 and Motorcraft FL-820S filters are not 5000 mile / 6 months whichever comes first oil filters. I have torn two FL-820S filters on Ford's service schedule.

The filter failed. If the filter is filled to capacity, the bypass should open. The media should not tear.

I have moved off these two part numbers.

The following cross references worked for me through 6000 miles and 6 months using 5W30:
WIX 51372, PF1250, Champ PH820 and Fram TG2.

Yes, I know two of these are eCores. While their efficiency is low, they do work without tearing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back