Purolator L24651 cut open, found more torn media

Status
Not open for further replies.
This came off a 2006 F150 that ran AMSOIL OE 5w-20 and has 9k miles on it. Sorry for the blurry picture. I have essential hand tremors and it makes taking quality pictures with an old camera a pain.

Surely ran way longer than the filter's intended use interval. I am not surprised.
I would want to see how this looked after 3-4 k miles.

I agree and the owner was surprised at the mileage. He didn't think it went that long but the sticker I put in the window faded and so he couldn't see the mileage. I need to find a pen ink that doesn't fade. Even sharpies fade.

Thanks! Pic's look good enough.
smile.gif

OTOH, the filter only looks fair! I have run many of my Purolator Classics for around 9K on several occasions and they've looked a bit better.

Originally Posted By: kozanoglu
Surely ran way longer than the filter's intended use interval. I am not surprised.
I would want to see how this looked after 3-4 k miles.

My bet is there would still be tears in the media. Many reported with tears at 3~5K miles of use.

Looks like the usual wavy media that purolator is famous for.

I see what appears to be torn media but you said it has 9000 miles on the filter not that i think there should be any torn media but 9000 is pretty much the limit i would use pretty much any filter.

I've been sticking to wire mesh backed media for any extended drain intervals. I think 3-5k would be my personal limit for a Purolator classic. Was this car involved in low temp starts? It's possible for the media to tear right before bypass.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix

My bet is there would still be tears in the media. Many reported with tears at 3~5K miles of use.

You must have a great crystal ball.

Or do you use an Ouija board to speak to the spirits for your insights?

I have an achy knee that tells me it was just fine until 6,200 miles.

Originally Posted By: SilverC6
Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix

You must have a great crystal ball.

Or do you use an Ouija board to speak to the spirits for your insights?

I have an achy knee that tells me it was just fine until 6,200 miles.

Go look at the metrics captured by Stu_Rock in his Excel headset - have you even seen it?

Data backs up my statement ... MANY failed with 3K~5K miles on them (one with only 483 miles on it), both Classics and PureOnes.

The Spreadsheet ... just for you

The Original Thread

Z, you're extrapolating here.

"MANY" is certainly an exaggeration.

I see a three dollar Purolator in the photo that was pushed well beyond its limits.

Originally Posted By: SilverC6
Z, you're extrapolating here.

"MANY" is certainly an exaggeration.

I see a three dollar Purolator in the photo that was pushed well beyond its limits.

Look at the spreadsheet.

24 out of 40 had 5K or less miles on them.

10 of those were 4K or below.

Numbers are right there for everyone to see and diagnose.

seeing the way that filter is bent could be a cause for damaged pleating.

I haven't found any significant damage to any puro's that i cut apart except for one that bent the shell on and found that the damaged shell actually ripped the pleating when i removed the filter.

Not excusing the tear, but best practice the Classic is not a standard 9k fci filter. In comparable terms it is equivalent to an orange can rated at 5k miles. Also wonder the time frame length of oci?

Also a noteworthy point imo posted above about the dented can in this case.

And as several others have noted, Amsoil with a Classic filter is an odd (ie., mismatched), combination to put it mildly.

Why would using AMSOIL's OE oil and a classic filter be an odd combination. Not like putting a higher quality filter is going to achieve much on a short drain interval, which this was supposed to be around 7k max but the owner just lost track of time.

There is no pleasing some on here. I have ran AMSOIL EaO filters for just 5k miles and get bashed for wasting a good filter. Simply amazing!

I'm waiting for that first person to post with hard evidence proving that his torn filter caused his engine to fail. That is if I live to be 100, then just maybe it will happen. NOT!

Maybe all filter manufactures should start putting statements on their filters that they are only good for xxxx amount of miles. That way if you go over it and the filter fails it is on you.

Time wise how long was this OCI to get to 9000 miles? And what type of driving was involved? If there were lots of cold starts that might have put an additional strain on the filter media. Saying that I don't think any filter media should tear in a reasonable recommended usage
27.gif

Whimsey

The oil was changed back in March of this year. Weather here in eastern NC doesn't get to cold for the most part. Driving is mixed country roads and interstate 75mpg runs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back