Purolator L14610 cut open (teaser: no tears)

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is a standard Classic L14610 installed on our 2005 Acura MDX. OCI and FCI are both 3,000 miles due to lots of short-tripping to our kids' school and back. Oil used was conventional Formula Shell 5W-30. Big shame on me for not actually writing down the filter code; I thought it would be visible in the pictures. It was made in 2013.

IMG_0264.JPG

IMG_0265.JPG

I observed no tears in the filter media. Pleat spacing was very uniform, except near the metal crimp. I took a picture of the pleating next to the crimp, since that's where the problems seem to show up, but this one was fine. The rubber ADBV was still very pliable and the filter looks like it could have gone another 3,000 miles.

I replaced this with another L14610 from my stash, but that's my last one. I have three OEM Honda A02s and three Purolator PureONE Pl14610s. I bought the Harbor Freight exhaust pipe--nay--oil filter cutter tool on the advice of sayjac and that tool worked beautifully.

Looks fine to me, normal looking wider pleat area adjoining seam, and quite similar the many PL14610's I've dissected. And also the very similar to a Classic, 7317 AAP Total Grips. That it's a Classic with the metal seam pleat and no tears is even better. Worth the $3.27.

Thanks for the pics.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
.I observed no tears in the filter media. Pleat spacing was very uniform, except near the metal crimp. I took a picture of the pleating next to the crimp, since that's where the problems seem to show up, but this one was fine. .

Couldn't you have at least torn it with a knife BEFORE taking pictures of it so you could fit in with the cool kids on this forum? jeeeeez

Originally Posted By: mrsilv04
This one?

http://www.harborfreight.com/exhaust-pipe-cut-off-tool-69327.html

Yes; that is the one. I showed up at the store with a 20% off coupon and a coupon for a free LED flashlight. I'm more impressed with the flashlight than I thought I'd be, and the cutting tool works fine. The plastic screwdriver handle immediately stripped on the adjusting knob knurles on the cutting tool, so I just slipped the handle off, tossed it in the trash, and use a pair of pliers to turn the adjusting knob. Works like a champ.

That filter looks very clean for being in use. Did the ADBV work properly? Was the filter full of oil? It almost looks dry.

I am not saying this was not in use, but just asking how it looks so new after being in use.

Even though the pleat spacing is wide near the seam, it looks like the V-spread on those pleats is minimal, which IMO is the key to keeping pleats from tearing or not on these Purolator filters.

Originally Posted By: Cooper
That filter looks very clean for being in use. Did the ADBV work properly? Was the filter full of oil? It almost looks dry.

I am not saying this was not in use, but just asking how it looks so new after being in use.

He might have done the "paper towel wick" trick to dry the media. Makes is easier to see collected debris.

Link: Like This

Yes, everything was saturated with oil. This filter hangs from the threaded end as installed, so it was full when removed. All parts were obviously cleaned prior to taking the pictures. I didn't know about the "paper towel wick", but I did let the element sit out on the drain pan for a few days to dry out. It was too saturated with oil to see anything otherwise.

This is a clean-running engine that appears to put little metal in the oil. The original dry media color is a yellowish color, so it's clear that the filter has been used, but yes, parts were dried or wiped off prior to the pictures so I could see better the quality of assembly, etc. I'm too cheap to cut open an unused filter!

Originally Posted By: FetchFar
.I observed no tears in the filter media. Pleat spacing was very uniform, except near the metal crimp. I took a picture of the pleating next to the crimp, since that's where the problems seem to show up, but this one was fine. .

Couldn't you have at least torn it with a knife BEFORE taking pictures of it so you could fit in with the cool kids on this forum? jeeeeez

I agree! My deep worry over the P1's I have in my stash needs to be validated
cry.gif

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Originally Posted By: Cooper

He might have done the "paper towel wick" trick to dry the media. Makes is easier to see collected debris.

Link: Like This

That is a great idea! Everyone should use this simple trick before taking pics and posting. Makes it much better to inspect via pictures.

@ Hokiefyd

How's the Formula Shell 5W30 working for you ?
From the looks of the oil filter and lack of much mess, looks like it's working pretty good.

Bud, regarding the Formula Shell, I love it. I'm sure it works as well as any other conventional oil, but at the low price you pay for it during the once- or twice-annual sale at BJs and Costco, it's a steal of an oil without having to worry about rebates or coupons or any of that. I also prefer individual quarts (via a case of 12) instead of jugs, and that's how the FS is sold at the warehouse clubs.

I get it in the 5W-30 grade, and use it in everything...both cars (Hondas, which prefer 5W-20) and mowers (which usually prefer 10W-30). The one exception is my older Tecumseh-powered mower, which gets Rotella 15W-40.

I have used Chevron Supreme from Costco ... also a good conventional motor oil I have read.

Bud, regarding the Formula Shell, I love it. I'm sure it works as well as any other conventional oil, but at the low price you pay for it during the once- or twice-annual sale at BJs and Costco, it's a steal of an oil without having to worry about rebates or coupons or any of that. I also prefer individual quarts (via a case of 12) instead of jugs, and that's how the FS is sold at the warehouse clubs.

I get it in the 5W-30 grade, and use it in everything...both cars (Hondas, which prefer 5W-20) and mowers (which usually prefer 10W-30). The one exception is my older Tecumseh-powered mower, which gets Rotella 15W-40.

Thanks for the info... I might start stocking up on some.
From what I've seen on the VOAs - it looks like a very well engineered & underrated oil.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: FetchFar

cheers3.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back