Purolator L14477 cut open

Status
Not open for further replies.
Below filter is off an 06 camry using Mobil supra 5W-30 conventional with about a 5300 mile OCI. Inspected closely and couldn't find any tearing. After taking the pics I pulled the pleats apart trying to find any issue and all seemed good, although I thought the media seemed a little brittle (I can't say it is a problem as I just started dissecting filters and don't have a feel for how easily they should tear). Reinstalled a toughguard and will compare in about 4 months.

t04tqb.jpg

1zxv4ar.jpg

3004ief.jpg

4qn2oy.jpg

It seems as though the quality & consistency of the PuroClassic & PureONE's is all over the place. Some look like yours and others look absolutely WONDERFUL!

I think Purolator just had a bad batch of media paper. With the one I had fail, the paper media seemed to just disintegrate like the bonding agent of the paper was just dissolving and the media lost all it's strength. This one looks adequate.

What number Fram did you use as a replacement?

The 14477 is the long version of the 14476..

I think the Fram matches the short Purolator...

Originally Posted By: mattwithcats
What number Fram did you use as a replacement?

The 14477 is the long version of the 14476..

I think the Fram matches the short Purolator...

I installed a TG4386

Another good looking filter that DIDN'T tear. Thanks for the cut and post OP!!

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
Very wavvvvvvvvvvy... Typical.

Borderline ok at best but i don't trust them anymore

This is a nonsense comment. Wavy media does not affect performance, so even though it won't win any beauty contests, it did just fine. Dont hate, Purolate!

I don't hate them they were my go to filter for well over 20 years for my engines and my shops engines. I won't use them anymore until i know they are improving but they don't seem to admit they have problems so they have no reason to improve. I don't trust them anymore it's just not worth it when there are better filters out there. Im very sorry their Quality went south i had to change my whole filter line. And honestly i don't know if wavy media is a problem i do know that quality filters don't seem to get wavy media for some reason.

Originally Posted By: jk_636
Another good looking filter that DIDN'T tear.

You need glasses brother. That is far from a "good looking filter".

Originally Posted By: webfors

Perhaps there is a "gold standard" for good looking filters we can go by from now on.

Originally Posted By: Char Baby
It seems as though the quality & consistency of the PuroClassic & PureONE's is all over the place. Some look like yours and others look absolutely WONDERFUL!
How does a wavey pleat affect filtering quality?

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
Originally Posted By: Char Baby
How does a wavey pleat affect filtering quality?

I would argue that it doesn't have any effect.

congrats on opening the filter without tearing it. the vast majority of reported tears were because of amateurs damaging the media in the process.

Originally Posted By: cptbarkey
congrats on opening the filter without tearing it. the vast majority of reported tears were because of amateurs damaging the media in the process.

^^ Yes, that must be why Purolators are tearing
crackmeup2.gif

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
Originally Posted By: webfors

Perhaps there is a "gold standard" for good looking filters we can go by from now on.

And what "gold standard" would that be? The pureone? That has a gold color....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back